Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the d is bad, but I for one think BY FAR the most pressing need is interior OL.

I have been going back and watching game footage all year. They are continually disrupted by anyone that plays on the d'line interior that is opposite them. We do need things on defense, but everything is a moot point if the interior OL is not fix. If I were Romo or any of the running backs, I would not want to play behind them. The positive to this is OG are usually cheaper than other positions, and you can find studs at OG in the second and third round every year. It is not as difficult as finding OT.

And by the way, I wanted to give Romo some props. I think he played well considering the OL play and his hand. It still looked swollen to me, and I would not have blamed him for not playing if it was hurting bad. But he didn't mail it in. He went out and tried against a DL that he knew was going to hit him early and often. The more I watch of him, the more I like him. And he doesn't get much credit from anyone where I live.

But his career will be cut short if that OL is similar next year to what it was this year.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
.....It's not the same coaches as when they did under the Big Tuna, and under Golly-gee Wade.

Seems like they just get tight for whatever reason, and they play like **** in the big clutch moments.....
But it is the same "Team Leaders" which is why I am very down on this squad.

The core of this has been kept and they have always disappointed in big games. Always.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Pocket seriously, how many times do I need to see Bradie's lack of speed kill us in coverage? Or Spencer taking bad angles and having no gap control? or our DE getting stood up at the line and getting no pressure? Or Ratliff shooting a gap and running into a team mate? TNew playing 10 yards away from a slow WR? Sensy being 2 steps too late on a deep route? Jenkins hot dogging a play? Scandrik not being able to play the ball? Ball being 5 yards behind a WR? Repeated off sides.

... Maddening to see this D play. It really is a cast of dumb players who are unable to correct themselves or improve.
I agree with this. Ware jumping off sides arguably cost us both games.

His false start in the 1st game negated a snap over Eli's head that would have made it 2nd and 25 when we were up 5 on their go ahead drive, instead the penalty made it 1st and 5 and everyone knows what happened next.

His penalty tonight negated a fumble recovery by Sean Lee. They still stopped them, but it's still a momentum changer and would've left another 2 minutes on the clock.

As for how scandrick didn't bat that ball down to Cruz, I don't understand. An NFL player knocks that ball down.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
...Next year is ours for the taking. Get a full off-season in Rob Ryan's defense, have a full weight program under Woicik, and hopefully put together a good draft with some key free agents and we should be a legit contender next season.
I think we have too many weak pieces to expect next year is any different.

Only way we turn things around is if the Offense can become dominant running the ball, we get a RB that can stay healthy and find some interior OL.

To me that is the shortest path to being a quality team.

Think we can turn around the D is impossible. I can justify getting rid of )or demoting) 9 of the 11 starters. That is bad and one off season will not do it. Takes at least 2 off seasons.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not me, not an RG3 fan. Hate small QB.

Elam maybe a JAG but in comparison to Sensy he is brilliant.

New draft same nees as always, S, ILB, NT, G/C, RB ... and now we need to add CB.
Elam missed a pretty easy tackle on bradshaw in the backfield that Sensey would have made. Would've been 3rd and goal from the 8, instead of a touchdown.
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also don't have a problem with going for it on 4th and one. But I would not have ran Romo behind the interior line. It is the weakest part of the team. I thought the play call was horrible. But the call to go for it was solid.

pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pocket seriously, how many times do I need to see Bradie's lack of speed kill us in coverage? Or Spencer taking bad angles and having no gap control? or our DE getting stood up at the line and getting no pressure? Or Ratliff shooting a gap and running into a team mate? TNew playing 10 yards away from a slow WR? Sensy being 2 steps too late on a deep route? Jenkins hot dogging a play? Scandrik not being able to play the ball? Ball being 5 yards behind a WR? Repeated off sides.

... Maddening to see this D play. It really is a cast of dumb players who are unable to correct themselves or improve.
I agree, ALL of those players need to go! Just stop it with the Romo, Ware, Jenkins, Dez, Austin, Witten Ect Ect These guys are here to stay, like it or not.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think we have too many weak pieces to expect next year is any different.

Only way we turn things around is if the Offense can become dominant running the ball, we get a RB that can stay healthy and find some interior OL.

To me that is the shortest path to being a quality team.

Think we can turn around the D is impossible. I can justify getting rid of )or demoting) 9 of the 11 starters. That is bad and one off season will not do it. Takes at least 2 off seasons.
I agree with you on some points, but now you are over exaggerating. Murray and Felix are fine. Murray isn't injury prone. He missed 2 games in 4 years at OU and someone fell on his ankle wrong in the NFL. That isn't being injury prone. I agree on OL. That's why I want DeCastro.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I agree, ALL of those players need to go! Just stop it with the Romo, Ware, Jenkins, Dez, Austin, Witten Ect Ect These guys are here to stay, like it or not.
Well, I would say the following .... only so many things you can get to and the names you reference above are folks your move if you get bowled over with an offer.

But I am not enamored with any of them. They are an integral part of the failures but we keep letting them off the hook.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
That's it.
If Newman keeps his eyes open and his head up, at the very least he could have held the 4th string slow TE up for a second til help arrived.
But like most DBs do these days, he closed his eyes and ducked his head down and hoped the guy would fall into/over him. He didn't. That play was very significant.

Then the 2 gift fumbles the Giants tried to offer up, but the idiots were simply unable to fall on a ******* free ball.

Games like this, you have to capitalize on those opportunities.

I don't know why the Cowboys keep choking like this.... so tight. It's not the same coaches as when they did under the Big Tuna, and under Golly-gee Wade.

Seems like they just get tight for whatever reason, and they play like **** in the big clutch moments.

BTW, I don't disagree with the decision to go for it where Romo got stopped on the sneak, but the execution was simply girlish, both by the OL and Romo there. Need more effort for one yard there.

And that long pass to Cruz was part luck, and part horseshit awareness by Scandrick.

There are a lot of bad DB's in the NFL these days, all around the league.
See NE, GB, Detroit, Minnesota, San Diego, Carolina, etc....
You hit pretty much everything on the head. There is just something about this team that causes the worst things to happen at the worst times.

How we don't fall on those fumbles makes no sense. How Scandrick doesn't bat that ball down makes no sense.

I'll say it again, this team is cursed. Those plays just don't happen in the NFL, but they do to us. It's unexplainable.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
You hit pretty much everything on the head. There is just something about this team that causes the worst things to happen at the worst times.

How we don't fall on those fumbles makes no sense. How Scandrick doesn't bat that ball down makes no sense.

I'll say it again, this team is cursed. Those plays just don't happen in the NFL, but they do to us. It's unexplainable.
Jimmy Johnson always said he wanted play makers. We have none on Defense IMHO with the exception of Sean Lee. Ware is a reliable player but rarely makes plays that turn games around. Jenkins lack of INT perplexes me after his break out second year. I thought he was on his way to Revis Island status.

Last edited by yanksknicks : 01-01-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:41 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
There's a reason why Guards don't go that high in the draft, I like DeCastro but that would be an awful way to spend the 14th pick. There's not much difference in the return you'd get on a Guard at 14 vs a Guard in Round 2 or 3. Guards in the 1st are luxury picks, a luxury we can't afford if you've been paying attention to the **** we've been putting out on defense.

We need to come away with an impact player; DL, CB or OLB.
I don't agree with this. I'm tired of this ******** where people say positions like S and OG aren't that important. Did you see how much of a liability Bill Nagy was before he got hurt? What about our safety play since Darren Woodson retired?

Everything position on a football team besides QB has equal importance. If DeCastro is there at 14 I take him before they can even say "Dallas is on the clock" unless some elite prospect falls all the way to 14, which won't happen.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
I don't agree with this. I'm tired of this ******** where people say positions like S and OG aren't that important. Did you see how much of a liability Bill Nagy was before he got hurt? What about our safety play since Darren Woodson retired?

Everything position on a football team besides QB has equal importance. If DeCastro is there at 14 I take him before they can even say "Dallas is on the clock" unless some elite prospect falls all the way to 14, which won't happen.
Got go with the BP theory on this one ... all things being equal draft DeCastro and plan for 10 Pro Bowl visits.

Best Guard prospect since Hutch. We need it bad.
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Jimmy Johnson always said he wanted play makers. We have none on Defense IMHO with the exception of Sean Lee. Ware is a reliable player but rarely makes plays that turn games around. Jenkins lack of INT perplexes me after his break out second year. I thought he was on his way to Revis Island status.
Hopefully Bruce Carter turns into one. He has the athleticism for it.
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Quote:
I agree to a point. But I think you are being a little bit of a shock jock to say no one makes plays on defense. I think Demarcus Ware has something to say about that. Any team in the league would take him in a heartbeat.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully Bruce Carter turns into one. He has the athleticism for it.
Tell you what, we need some serious speed upgrades so would be happy to see it happen.

Lee and Carter makes us much better in coverage but I can't see it unless we get a two gap monster to eat up the G/C combo.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Got go with the BP theory on this one ... all things being equal draft DeCastro and plan for 10 Pro Bowl visits.

Best Guard prospect since Hutch. We need it bad.
I completely agree. We need DeCastro. 14 is the perfect spot. Don't try to get cute and trade down 3 spots either. Take him and go to bed and wake up for some defense on day 2.

Period.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I agree to a point. But I think you are being a little bit of a shock jock to say no one makes plays on defense. I think Demarcus Ware has something to say about that. Any team in the league would take him in a heartbeat.
I have had this discussion and no DeMarcus, to me, does not make the game turning plays I would expect out of an athlete as good as him.

From day 1, I wanted Ware for SOLB and starting today that is what I want for next year again.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Quote:
I completely agree. We need DeCastro. 14 is the perfect spot. Don't try to get cute and trade down 3 spots either. Take him and go to bed and wake up for some defense on day 2.

Period.
There is the plan, right there, sir...

Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree and disagree at the same time. Our front 7 makes some plays, but this secondary is just bad at making plays. It would be one thing if they lock their guys down and don't get picks, but they just don't.

When's the last time we had a ball hawk? This secondary has been a mess more a while now. We're never around the ball, ever. Watching other games on sundays you always see tipped balls with 5 guys around it to make the interception. Not us.

I really don't understand our defense. They just play like a pop warner football team. This secondary needs to be revamped. Bad.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

And I really do want us to trade something of value and find some 2 nd round talent to shore up RB, ILB, NT or Safety. TE we can use 3rd round.

I assume CB will never happen there.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There is the plan, right there, sir...
Are you being sarcastic or actually agreeing with me? Hard to tell online lol
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
I agree and disagree at the same time. Our front 7 makes some plays, but this secondary is just bad at making plays. It would be one thing if they lock their guys down and don't get picks, but they just don't.

When's the last time we had a ball hawk? This secondary has been a mess more a while now. We're never around the ball, ever. Watching other games on sundays you always see tipped balls with 5 guys around it to make the interception. Not us.

I really don't understand our defense. They just play like a pop warner football team. This secondary needs to be revamped. Bad.
To have the secondary you want

1) You need safeties that can read and react fasssssssssst
2) Your ILB need to be able to intelligently drop back and play zone coverage.

Key to great coverage is to close the gaps in front of you quickly and take away passing lanes like a god Tampa 2 MIKE

Last edited by yanksknicks : 01-01-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
To have the secondary you want

1) You need safeties that can read and react fasssssssssst
2) Your ILB need to be able to intelligently drop back and play zone coverage.

Key to great coverage is to close the gaps in front of you quickly and take away passing lanes.
I really think this defense can take the next step by adding speed. We agree on that.

If Bruce Carter pans out that helps immensely, then we need to sign either Michael Griffin or Laron Landry at the other safety spot. This defense needs speed.

What a fall from grace for terence newman. 4 years ago he was almost unbeatable (didn't give up a TD in 2 years) and was the big 12 60 and 100 meter champion at kansas state. Now he's slow as hell and couldn't cover a rhino in a phone booth. It's terrible.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

On Rotoworld it says that michael griffin isn't going to get re-signed by tennessee. Much more durable than laron landry and more consistent in coverage.

Make it happen Jerry.