Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys fans are hilarious to me man. I love the team to death, but the fans...some of you guys don't have a realistic outlook on where the team is whatsoever.

Read back 100 or so pages and look at where folks thought the Dallas Cowboys would end up this season, after finishing 6-10 last season. Google any of the "Season Predictions" from any of the national writers, as well as the local....Most folks thought they'd end up EXACTLY where they did...7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range..."too much talent" to be that bad, not enough talent/discipline to make a serious run...But here we are again in the offseason calling for wholesale changes and not charting the course.

This just in: The Dallas Cowboys are in the midst of a rebuild. Like it or not...they are rebuilding. We all have our ideas of what that should look like...I've seen folks want Romo/Ware/Witten traded to just grabbing a few FA's and Draft picks and being back in the hunt.

The problem here is that the Cowboys showed what they're capable of in brief glimpses throughout the season. So seeing that raised fans expectations. But they are what they are, a mediocre team.

I believe in JG, I believe he has an ultimate plan for where he wants this team to go. I have to accept JJ as the GM...because, let's be serious...He's not going anywhere. Call it optimism, but I believe he is allowing JG much more control than he did many of his other coaches (Besides Parcells/Jimmy Johnson)...I think that's a good thing, and I think ultimately JG will reward him for it. My fear is that JG doesn't, and we're looking at another puppet head coach in 3-4 years, but as of right now...after a solid draft last year, a year in which Tony Romo put up pro-bowl #'s despite having no running game for much of the year, and a inconsistent offensive line...I think this team is headed in the right direction.

Again, read back..look at the draft thread when people were second the Demarco pick. I really think with JG and Rob are doing the grocery shopping, and I think we'll start seeing guys in their mold of their offense/defense.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

CowboyFan73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I believe in JG, I believe he has an ultimate plan for where he wants this team to go. I have to accept JJ as the GM...because, let's be serious...He's not going anywhere. Call it optimism, but I believe he is allowing JG much more control than he did many of his other coaches (Besides Parcells/Jimmy Johnson)...I think that's a good thing, and I think ultimately JG will reward him for it. My fear is that JG doesn't, and we're looking at another puppet head coach in 3-4 years, but as of right now...after a solid draft last year, a year in which Tony Romo put up pro-bowl #'s despite having no running game for much of the year, and a inconsistent offensive line...I think this team is headed in the right direction.
I agree with the your comments. JG has to be given time as HC to grow. The hottest coach on the market hasn't won a superbowl! At the end of the day, we need to sure some areas on the OL. Rebuild the defense. Oh wait.... Its called building a franchise from the inside out. Only changes I see require sending T-New to the pastures. He did his time, its time to move on. Move Jay Ratliff back to his natural positon of DE. Draft a 350+ to clog the middle and look to free agency for more phyiscal corners. It we had the "bend but don't break" defense, I would be all for Jenkins and Scandrick. But there not phyiscal enough. Next year, JG should make EVERY job up for grabs more open competition. Our players are too complacent with their positions. We are heading in the right direction. Hopefully soon, because within the next 5 years will have to start looking for another QB. Romo is 31.
CowboyFan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Typed this up last night after the game and forgot to post it.

TheFinisher's 2012 Off-Season Plan

Cuts/Don't Resign:

Terence Newman- Father time has caught up to Newman and this should be a no brainer at the end of the season. He's been making way too much money for such sub-par play the past 2-3 seasons.

Keith Brooking- Another one who's declined at an alarming rate the past 2 seasons, Brooking might retire before we even have a chance at cutting him.

Bradie James- This is a tough one because Bradie has been a mainstay for a long time but he's just a liability in space and can't be depended on anymore. Maybe we bring him back if he agrees to restructuring his contract.

Anthony Spencer- Spencer hasn't necessarily been bad, but when you look at his overall body of work the past 4 seasons coupled with his comments over the past off-season about "mailing it in" last year he's just not worth the money. Plus it gives us an opportunity to upgrade a position that has been awfully average.

Martellus Bennett- Don't let the door hit ya on the ass.

FA:

Cortland Finnegan- He should be a mid-upper level FA this off-season and fits the mold for what kind of players I want to see added to our defense. As far as Corners are concerned he's as tough as they come and he's still in his prime. A guy like Finnegan who loves to play physical and to compete is just the kind of guy we need to set an example for our younger guys at the position, I think he'd be a great mentor for Mike Jenkins.

D'Qwell Jackson- Knows the system and still has lots of mileage in the tank. He'd be one of those underhyped FA signings that winds up paying off big time.

Nick Hardwick- Phil Costa is close to being the Alan Ball of this season, he has no business being a starter in the NFL. Hardwick has kind of fallen from the Elite status he gained just a few seasons ago but he's still fairly young(30) and would bring much needed stability to the interior line.

*I wouldn't mind some roster churning at the back end of WR.

*May have to sign a low priced ILB depending on Albright and what we think of him, or if we plan to continue development of Barry Church as a nickel backer that should suffice.

*Safety may be added to this list but I'm hoping we bring back both guys on the cheap.

Resign:

Abram Elam/Gerald Sensabaugh- It will be interesting to watch how this unfolds, I really like the way these 2 have complemented each other and would be willing to invest in this combo for a few extra seasons as long as the price is reasonable. Hopefully we can get this done, stable safety play has been a rarity around here.

Laurent Robinson- No brainer, give this kid a legit #3 deal.. he's earned it.

Tony Fiametta- I don't know what's going on with Fiamette and that flu thing he's been dealing with but he's a heck of a lead blocker and I'd like to bring him back if it's possible.

*Wouldn't mind bringing back Coleman if the price is right. If not then I'd replace him with another cheap vet to play limited snaps. Unfortunately we blew our load on Marcus Spears and Jason Hatcher so I don't want to get pricey along the DL this offseason.

*Montrae Holland is welcomed back if he's willing to accept a reserve/spot-duty level contract.

Draft:

1. Courtney Upshaw- Spencer hasn't panned out but that shouldn't stop us from continuing to search for a competant player opposite Ware. Plus I love Saban coached players.

2. Kevin Zeitler- I've had Zeitler penciled in as our 2nd Rounder for a while now because it just makes too much sense to me. He's a Day 1 starter at a huge position of need, and I'm much more a fan of drafting interior OL in the 2nd as opposed to the 1st.

3. Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M- Signing Finnegan would be a great start to fixing the secondary but that's just the tip of the iceberg in this plan. Judie is someone who could challenge for playing time right off the bat and provides much needed depth to a previously thin position.

4. Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame- LOVE the way he's played this season. Smith has all the physical ability to become a longterm starter in the NFL which is just what I'm looking for in safety prospects at this point. Team captain and RKOG so you know Red will love him.

5. Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly- This is another guy who I really like and have followed all season long. I know some may get turned off after we took AOA just 2 years ago but you gotta take risks if you want to reap rewards. He's got talent out the ass both as a cover man and return man, I just hope he doesn't run too fast at his pro day so he stays in the later rounds lol.

6. Rhett Ellison, TE, USC

7. James Brown, OT, Troy

TC Depth Chart:

QB- Romo, Kitna, McGee
RB- Murray, Jones, Tanner
FB- Fiametta
TE- Witten, Phillips, Ellison(R)
WR- Austin, Bryant, Robinson, Ogletree, Holley/Harris
LT- T. Smith, Parnell
LG- Kosier, Nagy
C- Hardwick(FA), Costa
RG- Zeitler(R), Arkin
RT- Free, Brown(R)

5T- Hatcher, Lissemore
5T- Spears, Coleman
NT- Ratliff, Brent
ROLB- Ware
LOLB- Upshaw(R), Butler
MLB- Lee, Carter
WLB- Jackson(FA), Albright?
LC- Finnegan(FA), Judie(R)
RC- Jenkins, Jackson(R), Walker/Ball
Slot- Scandrick
FS- Elam, Smith(R),
SS- Sensabaugh, Church, McCray

I saw this back on page 950. Seems like a sound plan. Except I'll trade down get 2 more draft picks and draft a OL 1 round and a NT(330+) 2 round. Use the 2 other draft picks to pick up an OLB and a FS. It start to rebuild the heart of the offense and defense. Its a start.

Last edited by CowboyFan73 : 01-04-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wes Bunting has done his first mock...obviously extremely early....but has us taking Decastro...

If that happens, that's two OL in the first round over 2 years...Building inside out, and proof positive to me that JG would be running the show.

Quote:
1. Indianapolis Colts: Stanford QB Andrew Luck
Even with the Peyton Manning decision looming, Luck is still the best prospect on the board at a position the Colts have future questions at.

2. St. Louis Rams: Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon
It’s very possible the Rams will at look at USC OT Matt Kalil here. However, they have invested a ton of money on the offensive line in recent years and getting a big-play receiver for quarterback Sam Bradford and then looking to fix the offensive line later on might be a better play.

3. Minnesota Vikings: Southern Cal OT Matt Kalil
Quarterback Christian Ponder has shown flashes in year one, but he needs to stay healthy. Therefore, bringing in the top offensive tackle prospect in the draft who has a chance to mature into a Pro Bowl-caliber lineman seems like an easy selection at three.

4. Cleveland Browns: Baylor QB Robert Griffin III
The Browns need to upgrade the quarterback position and RG3 has the kind of talent, confidence and overall work ethic to make good on his elite upside.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: LSU CB Morris Claiborne
Tampa Bay has done a great job over the past two drafts improving the overall talent along its defensive line. Therefore, adding a playmaking corner who can capitalize on all the future pressure is a must for this defense to take that next step.

6. Washington Redskins: Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick
With no quarterbacks on the board worthy of the number six overall selection, look for the Redskins to take one of the best prospects on the board at a key need and try to trade back into the later portions of round one for the quarterback they desire.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery
Coming off his big bowl game performance against Nebraska’s Alfonzo Dennard, Jeffery now has some momentum going his way and could begin to really ascend up draft boards. He’s a long kid with sneaky speed down the field and knows how to go get the football. And he has the talent to instantly improve the Jags' receiving corps.

8. Carolina Panthers: Penn State DT Devon Still
The Panthers need a big body inside who can anchor on contact, push the pocket and find the football. Still isn’t a dynamic pass rusher and there are some other linemen on the board with more talent. But he has the size to fend off blocks inside and in my mind is one of the safer defensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft.

9. Miami Dolphins: Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw
Much like the Redskins, with no quarterback on the board worthy of a top ten pick, the Dolphins could be forced to address a need elsewhere. With OLB Jason Taylor retiring, Miami is going to be in need of pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake and Upshaw’s power would be a nice complement.

10. Buffalo Bills: Iowa OT Riley Reiff
Reiff is an athletic tackle with good range off the edge, natural change of direction skills and has the ability to sit into his stance on contact. He needs to get stronger and fill out a bit more. However, this former tight end recruit has the type of athleticism and demeanor to mature into the kind of blind side protector the Bills are looking for.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Stanford OT Jonathan Martin
Martin not only adds talent to the Chiefs offensive line, but he allows them to move LT Branden Albert to either right tackle or left guard.

CoplesICONWhen motivated Coples can be unblockable.

12. Seattle Seahawks: North Carolina DL Quinton Coples
The Seahawks have a real unique blend of athletes on the defensive side of the ball and because of that it makes me think Coples would be able to fit right in and fill a number of roles at both DT and DE. Plus, Pete Carroll seems like the kind of coach that could get the most out of Coples’s talent.

13. Arizona Cardinals: South Carolina OLB/DE Melvin Ingram
Ingram has the ability to play with his hand on the ground or rush off the edge from a two-point stance. He’s a sudden pass rusher with natural change of direction skills, long arms and could offer some talent and versatility to the Cardinals defense on third down.

14. Dallas Cowboys: Stanford: OG David DeCastro
The idea of drafting an athlete like DeCastro and potentially playing him next to 2011 first-round pick Tyron Smith at left tackle has to sound mighty intriguing.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Boston College ILB Luke Kuechly
A tackling machine with good size, natural instincts and knowledge to fend off blocks and find the football. Is the kind of talent the Eagles need inside to improve their struggling linebacking corps.

16. New York Jets: Alabama RB Trent Richardson
If the Jets are going to be successful, they have to get back to their ground and pound ways. And the idea of Trent Richardson and Shonn Greene as their one-two punch might be too good to pass up.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Sounds like a solid plan.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Should we release Kyle Kosier?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Man crushes are so hard to give up.
Traditionally wideouts break out in their third season. Dez has looked great in his first two seasons relative to his youth. Given a full offseason with his QB he will do big things next year. Looking at his numbers and talent it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to have a huge season next year. Barring injury I'm counting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyFan73 View Post
It depends on how much money he makes. I think they should definitely move towards a new starter, but if he's cheap then they could keep him around as a decent backup. I don't have much faith in Nagy to be honest. I don't know what the coaches saw in him, but he needs some strength and technique work. Arkin impressed me more, but I'd trust Kosier over those two as a backup.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Kosier for the right price is a great back up. Can play any interior spot and is not a moron.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Its a possible to look to Free Agency if Kosier asking price is too high. Or maybe trading down a couple of pick in the later rounds to pick up another guard. Who can we sign without asking too much as a backup that isn't 30+ years old?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kosier was not good this year. I think he's done.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No matter what, Kosier should be kept. He has an average contract for a guard and he provides good veteran leadership and depth. He's smart and can play any position in a pinch. I would like to give Arkin one more redshirt year if we can. I don't know if one off-season will be enough to get him strong enough, and we will probably be getting a new OL coach so he will have to adjust to different coaching as well. Arkin needs to be a future starter, but I think he may need one more year. Kosier has two more years on his deal and then will probably just retire, so that's perfect.

As for Bunting mocking DeCastro to us, GREAT. I want every draft expert all over the media to mock him to us. Get it in Jerry's head. You know someone in the Cowboys scouting department pays attention to what draft experts say. They always take a peek. I hope Mel Kiper and/or McShay go on ESPN and to a live TV mock and have us taking DeCastro. Get that in Jerry's head.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

So now we are back to Nagy, Arkin, or Free Agency if we spend out 1st round pick on a David DeCastro.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Draftek.com has DeCastro coming to us as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Draftek.com has DeCastro coming to us as well.
So your a spammer....?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

No. I am new to the board. I am just getting my feet wet.

http://www.drafttek.com/default.asp
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Normally I blog on the Cowboys website but I was tired of the foolish talk. Everything I have read up on the blog so far everyone talks with some type of maturity. I enjoy reading and viewing everyone view on the draft.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So now we are back to Nagy, Arkin, or Free Agency if we spend out 1st round pick on a David DeCastro.
Here's the thing, if we don't upgrade at Center, I don't think guard is going to make much difference. I think Center is a bigger need than guard.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

Are there any centers in free agency other than Harwick that we can get? I don't want to only be restricted to just FA and our on team. Thing I don't want is another late round starter fumble his way through the offense.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Matt Birk but he's a bit too old for my liking.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

After looking up Free agents. there aren't many centers out there. Is it worth a 1st round pick? Others will probably say a corner but at 14, who is an absolute beast at corner after clayborne?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

DeCastro in:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/nflmockdraft.html

Sounds like the smart move to build from the inside out! Do you hear that Dallas Organization! DeCastro for Right Guard!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Who's going to play center?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

is that Kowaski guy any good? I know he was thrown in a RG but I is listed at center. Somebody has to be better than Costa
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No. I am new to the board. I am just getting my feet wet.

http://www.drafttek.com/default.asp
I am sorry, the link I typed in only had one t and set me to an architectural website lol. That write up for us taking DeCastro has pretty good analysis. People need to remember, Dockery and Holland are free agents. Now, they will probably both be available and cheap, but they were on the street during training camp for a reason. Dockery was a good player with the Redskins, but he is over 30 now.

Anyway, the more mock's with DeCastro to us the better! Get that decision circulating around the web!

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Who's going to play center?
A better question is could a 4th or 5th rounder at center be better than Costa as a rookie?

You can probably find a center with better physical tools than him in the 4th round. That's something worth looking at. I'd take Konz in a trade down, but that's only if DeCastro is already off the board.