Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM    (permalink
D-Ware Nightmare
Rookie

D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am gonna give this GM for a day thing a shot!

Cuts/Walk:
NEWMAN!!!! Ball, Kitna, Bennett, Dockery, Holland, Kosier, Spencer, James, Brooking, Walker, Buehler, and its iffy but Elam too. Those cuts would free up around 20-25 million to spend in FA, the cap penalties are minimal sans newman and kosier but neither offer anything to this team anymore and have become a hinderance to developing our young guys.

FA:
I really feel like Jerry has been backed into a corner to make a big splash this offseason, after Nnamdi **** on his doormat last year. With the extended cap and the cuts i would make, as much as 30-35million could be dropped in FA this year. Reality tells me its more like 20-25million available this year. I would love to sign Nicks or Grubbs but at around 8mil/yr i cant see that kind of commitment being made to that position. I would rather use that 8 to get a veteran stopgap C, and a good competitor to start at one of our G spots. Hardwick and Lutui are the two that i would prefer from this class, given our budget. I would then move to the Dline and try to land a true NT, or DE with upside, one or the other though. I think for value of the dollar Aubroyo Franklin is our guy to play nose. His value is way down playing in the saints scheme, and i think could be had for a good price. Eliminate budget and i would take Calais Campbell to play end but i dont think he will be cheap. LB has a hole with Spencer leaving in my plan, obviously Super Mario would be amazing, but i am not that delusional. Overall the pass rushing LB class is pretty weak this year, but i would take whomever BAL lets go in Jarrod Johnson/Sergio Kindle. My moneys on Kindle being let go, so I say bring him home to Texas, at a discount too. CB is where it gets goofy for me. We absolutely need one, but the top of this years class cant sniff Nnamdi's jock, and they will probably fetch around the same contract. So i just have a hunch that we will raid fellow NFC East secondaries and bring in Terrell Thomas, and gasp, Laron Landry. Landry needs a scenery change from washington and would be an all-pro under Ryan, and fix a decade long thorn in the ass in the process. Those defensive aquisitions would run us close to 20 million/yr, i think. Landry-7, Thomas-5, Kindle-2, Franklin-4. Total is close to 25 million/yr spent, which i could absolutely see as a legit budget this year.

Draft:
I really think that FA will shape our draft but i think there are 3 players that would bring a needed nastiness to this team. 1a Decastro 1b Kirkpatrick 1c Poe. Any one of those 3 would be welcome in my book with our #1. My mock
would look like this.
1. David Decastro OG stanford
2. Vontaze Burfict ILB/OLB asu
3. Cliff Harris CB oregon
4. Trumaine Johnson CB/S montana
5. Philip Blake C baylor
6. Brandon Weedon QB oklahoma state
7. Adrian Hamilton OLB prairie view a&m

Decastro in the first = best case scenario, in this guys book. While i think it pretty likely someone jumps on Taze before our second, the guys draft stock is tied to a lead weight atm. However i see lavaar aarington 2.0 when i watch him play. His skillset would allow him to play inside or outside in our 34, if hes gone then i would like the best rated pass rushing LB, maybe curry, irvin, jenkins, or perry. Cliff Harris would be a steal in the 3rd, but lucky for us he is a turd and has a twin turd, Janoris, getting drafted before him. Which will hopefully drop him to us. Trumaine Johnson may very well be gone at our 4th but hes a guy that could play CB or S, i envision him as the sensy replacement. Blake is a guy that needs time and could learn for 2-3 years behind whatever stopgap vet we bring in. Weedon is 28 and will fall further than he should, but the guy screams reliable backup to me, so it fits. And Hamilton is just a high upside pass rusher in my book after he adjusts to better competion.

2012 Depth Chart:

qb- Romo, Mcgee, Weedon
rb- Murray, Jones, Tanner
fb- Fiametta
wr- Bryant, Austin, Robinson, Ogletree, Harris
te- Witten, Phillips
ot- Smith-LT, Free-RT
og- Lutui, Decastro
oc- Hardwick, Blake

de- Ratliff, Hatcher/Spears
nt- A. Franklin, Brent
olb- Ware, Kindle, Butler, Hamilton
ilb- Lee, Burfict, Carter
cb- Thomas, Jenkins, Scandrick, Harris, Johnson
fs- Sensabaugh, Johnson
ss- Landry, Church
k- Bailey
p- Mcbriar
ret- Cliff Harris/ Dwayne Harris

Dont be too harsh cowboynation!!!
D-Ware Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If that were to all go down I would have no problem with it. Wishful thinking to land all of those players and have those guys fall to us in the draft, but it's possible.

One hitch, Sergio Kindle is an exclusive rights free agent. That means baltimore has the right to offer him a 3 year deal at the NFL minimum and he has to take it or he can't play in the NFL for 3 years. It's the same thing that we have with Parnell. So obviously he's staying in baltimore for the league minimum.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those that don't know about the Boys cap situation going into next year:

Norm breaks it down....
http://theticket.com/Portals/2/UserF...ed-podcast.mp3
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...changes-coming

Thank you. We need change. That alone should make us a better team. Thanks Houck and Campo for your 25+ combined years with the team, but the game has passed you by.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post

Norm breaks it down....
After listening to that, I take away two things.

1. Have to give Jerry and the front office some credit. They played it perfectly.

2. I'm all for Super Mario if he doesn't get franchised by the Texans. We could even sign him and possibly still come away with a solid CB like Terrell Thomas. Super Mario opposite DeMarcus would be ridiculous, and he can be our future because DeMarcus is turning 30.

Nice find.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Norm breaks it down....
This is real good news.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Asante Samuel is probably going to be a cap casualty in Philadelphia. I personally think he sucks, but he's better than Newman.
He would be better than Newman, but I'd rather have Grimes or Finnegan. Asante's like a better version of DeAngelo Hall. He is a ballhawk, but he can gamble and get burned at times. I wouldn't mind him for the right price because he can at least make people think twice about throwing toward him. Those picks can go a long way. I get tired of seeing quarterbacks throw up prayers and they consistently get answered because the secondary just stares at the ball while it's caught.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
He would be better than Newman, but I'd rather have Grimes or Finnegan. Asante's like a better version of DeAngelo Hall. He is a ballhawk, but he can gamble and get burned at times. I wouldn't mind him for the right price because he can at least make people think twice about throwing toward him. Those picks can go a long way. I get tired of seeing quarterbacks throw up prayers and they consistently get answered because the secondary just stares at the ball while it's caught.
Dude, both of the prayers to Cruz (1 in the first game on what ended up being their game winning drive and the one on sunday over Scandrick) makes me wonder if the NFL is fixed lol. If your an NFL DB, how do you not bat that ball down? If you put me in the position scandrick was in I would bat that ball down. I almost broke my TV. Your in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE... how do you not bat that ball down and get off the freakin' field on 3rd down. It blew my mind. A high schooler bats that down if he's in the position Scandrick was in. Just tomahawk his arms for crying out loud if you can't get the ball in the air. The one in the 1st game was sensabaugh I think, and how that ball doesn't get picked off to seal the game makes no sense. It's classic Eli throwing up those balls, but on us they get completed and make him look like a god. On other teams those balls get picked off and that's why Eli gets some of the negative criticism. But not on us. It's always a 40 yard completion.

Scandrick can cover, but his ball skills are beyond inept.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you make a key point. What we are seeing all too clearly is that there is a big difference in a guy that has the ability to cover and a guy that has ball skills.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I think you make a key point. What we are seeing all too clearly is that there is a big difference in a guy that has the ability to cover and a guy that has ball skills.
Completely agreed. It went unnoticed, but do you realize that the last interception we had by a defensive back was in week 11 by scandrick, when he picked off Grossman at the redskins. And besides the, the only INT we had in our last 6 games was that tipped screen pass Sean Lee picked off on Eli in Dallas, back in week 14.

So.... 2 picks in our last 7 games? That's pathetic. It's one thing if you just shut down your man, but we don't do that either. These DB's just aren't playmakers. Jenkins can be, but they just don't throw at him with how bad people like Newman are. It's really sad.

So our secondary had a combined 10 INT's (4 Newman, 2 Sensabaugh, 1 Jenkins, 1 Scandrick, 1 Ball, 1 Walker.) That is just pathetic. In some seasons individual players can rack up 8-10 INT's. I know picks don't tell the whole story, but this secondary just doesn't make plays. I wonder how much of it is coaching though.... Campo is horrific.

Turnovers change games. I used to love the days when Newman didn't allow touchdowns and all that, but we live in an offensively driven shootout league now. A turnover or two can be the difference. You can't just flat out stop people with the rule changes and the spread offenses. If you don't get an INT or two or a fumble on teams like the Packers or Saints, you have no chance. We don't have the DB's to do that.

We need to get guys who make plays on the ball. That's why I'd rather get Terrell Thomas and Michael Griffin in FA, and go OL, ILB, and DL in the draft.

But if there is some guy in the 5th round who has average physical skills but just had a ton of INT's in college, give me that guy. Give me a dude who catches the ball and changes the game. Hosley out of VT comes to mind.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-06-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:

Norm breaks it down....
The best way to handle the CAP is not to give out bad contracts to begin with.

So we got 20-30 to spend huh?
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
The best way to handle the CAP is not to give out bad contracts to begin with.

So we got 20-30 to spend huh?
That is correct. Would you rather re-sign Laurent and pick up a safety and CB, or throw the bank at Super Mario? We may even be able to land mario and still sign a CB like Terrell Thomas.

Looking at our team, I really think we have to get better by default because of a few reasons:

1. Better assistant coaching. Getting anyone to replace Campo and Maxie in the secondary, Houck along the OL, and DeCamilis on ST has to make those units better. They really can't get worse. Change for the sake of change will make us better on this one.

2. Anyone who replaces Newman, Brooking, Bradie James, etc. will make us better. I don't care if the players that replace them are UDFA's out of Wichita State, anybody will be better than them. (Hopefully we get much better players than that though lol)
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
After listening to that, I take away two things.

1. Have to give Jerry and the front office some credit. They played it perfectly.

2. I'm all for Super Mario if he doesn't get franchised by the Texans. We could even sign him and possibly still come away with a solid CB like Terrell Thomas. Super Mario opposite DeMarcus would be ridiculous, and he can be our future because DeMarcus is turning 30.

Nice find.
I agree, I was wrong when I shot down a lot of offseason options thinking we were going to be shot in the butt in cap debt. Really good job of shifting some really bad contracts, hopefully Jerry has learned that teams are built through the draft and capped off with free agents, not the other way.

I would be estatic if Mario became available in FA, he would provide a ton of versatility as a pass rusher from multiple positions. I can already envsion a third down pressure package with Ware/ Butler on the outside, Rat at nose, and Hatcher and Super Mario as the 5 tech =).
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I agree, I was wrong when I shot down a lot of offseason options thinking we were going to be shot in the butt in cap debt. Really good job of shifting some really bad contracts, hopefully Jerry has learned that teams are built through the draft and capped off with free agents, not the other way.

I would be estatic if Mario became available in FA, he would provide a ton of versatility as a pass rusher from multiple positions. I can already envsion a third down pressure package with Ware/ Butler on the outside, Rat at nose, and Hatcher and Super Mario as the 5 tech =).
You want to get Mario Williams in FA to be a 5 Tech?

SMH.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's no way the Texans are letting Mario Williams walk, come on now.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
You want to get Mario Williams in FA to be a 5 Tech?

SMH.
He mean in 3rd and long pass rushing situations. Obviously in the base defense he would be opposite D-Ware at OLB.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Some good and bad news:

Mort and Schefter just said on NFL Countdown it's between us and the Jets for Sparano.

Sparano is from the North East and will probably have more control of the Jets offense, but he does have history here...

Cut the check and get it done Jerry. PLEASE!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Another stat I came across that showed why this team struggled:

5 rushing TD's on the whole season... and 1 was a sneak by Romo. Another was a garbage time TD by tanner against the Rams. 5 in 16 games? That's unacceptable. Your not going to win like that. The NFL may be a passing league, but you need a running game.

Go through the NFL history books of how many teams made the playoffs with single digit rushing TD's on the season... I bet you there are less than 5. That's just ridiculous.

Players like AD, Arian Foster, etc. sometimes hace 3 or 4 in one game. We had 5 on the season? This stuff needs to be fixed.

This team just didn't play sound football this year. Hopefully the reviews during the off-season and better coaching fixes that.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

5 rushing TD's on the whole season... and 1 was a sneak by Romo. Another was a garbage time TD by tanner against the Rams. 5 in 16 games? That's unacceptable. Your not going to win like that. The NFL may be a passing league, but you need a running game.

Go through the NFL history books of how many teams made the playoffs with single digit rushing TD's on the season... I bet you there are less than 5. That's just ridiculous.

Players like AD, Arian Foster, etc. sometimes hace 3 or 4 in one game. We had 5 on the season? This stuff needs to be fixed.

This team just didn't play sound football this year. Hopefully the reviews during the off-season and better coaching fixes that.
Well the running game isn't going to work with a terrible interior line. Our backs got blown up well before the goal line. Our interior line had no push and coupled with Garrett's insistence on running power up the middle at the goal line... just playing into our opponent's hands.

It's pretty crazy how in the past few seasons a glaring weakness has completely stymied a unit of the team. We've been unfortunate in learning the importance of the safety positions, corner-backs, having more than one pass rusher, and strength along the interior line.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Well the running game isn't going to work with a terrible interior line. Our backs got blown up well before the goal line. Our interior line had no push and coupled with Garrett's insistence on running power up the middle at the goal line... just playing into our opponent's hands.

It's pretty crazy how in the past few seasons a glaring weakness has completely stymied a unit of the team. We've been unfortunate in learning the importance of the safety positions, corner-backs, having more than one pass rusher, and strength along the interior line.
Thank you. People are so focused on the glamor positions, but the position that people deem "unimportant" (C,G,S) are the reason we aren't in the playoffs right now and haven't made a deep run since freakin' 1995.

Safeties are suppose to be ball hawking playmakers, and your not going to be able to run the football come december and into the playoffs if you have rag dolls like Costa and Nagy starter on your OL. Those are the positions we need. I don't care if people think they aren't important, we need them. If there is a stud available at those positions in the 1st, take him. You think the seahawks regretted taking Hutch during Shawn Alexander's glory days? What about the Chiefs with Eric Berry, or the Redskins with Sean Taylor before he died? (God rest his soul, what a beast)

Hell no they didn't. Sean Taylor himself beat us. Hutchinson alone made people 1,000 yard rushers. It's time to see the light people.

Give me two good guards, a pro-bowl center, and 2 average tackles before you give me a pro-bowl left tackle, and below average guys along the rest of the line. The team with the former will be running their way into the playoffs, the team with the latter will look flashy through week 6 until they end up finishing 7-9 because football is a TEAM SPORT.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-07-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
CowboyFan73
Rookie

CowboyFan73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Give me two 2good guards, a pro-bowl center, and 2 average tackles before you give me a pro-bowl left tackle, and below average guys along the rest of the line. The team with the former will be running their way into the playoffs, the team with the latter will look flashy through week 6 until they end up finishing 7-9 because football is a TEAM SPORT.
So if we get some CBs and a Safety in free agency, should we spend our first 3 rounds on OL? Resigned Sensy to a 5 year deal.

Last edited by CowboyFan73 : 01-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
CowboyFan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thank you. People are so focused on the glamor positions, but the position that people deem "unimportant" (C,G,S) are the reason we aren't in the playoffs right now and haven't made a deep run since freakin' 1995.

Safeties are suppose to be ball hawking playmakers, and your not going to be able to run the football come december and into the playoffs if you have rag dolls like Costa and Nagy starter on your OL. Those are the positions we need. I don't care if people think they aren't important, we need them. If there is a stud available at those positions in the 1st, take him. You think the seahawks regretted taking Hutch during Shawn Alexander's glory days? What about the Chiefs with Eric Berry, or the Redskins with Sean Taylor before he died? (God rest his soul, what a beast)

Hell no they didn't. Sean Taylor himself beat us. Hutchinson alone made people 1,000 yard rushers. It's time to see the light people.

Give me two 2good guards, a pro-bowl center, and 2 average tackles before you give me a pro-bowl left tackle, and below average guys along the rest of the line. The team with the former will be running their way into the playoffs, the team with the latter will look flashy through week 6 until they end up finishing 7-9 because football is a TEAM SPORT.
The type of offense that is ran also dictates what positions on the line are of mor importance. Clearly Costa isnt a good fit for a team that runs any shotgun, Free can't shadow a teams best lineman in the spread and neither guard is a prototype mauler. JG failed to design the offense to help protect the O-line's downfalls often calling for plays with slow developing routes and attempting to run right into the weakest part of the line.

Look at the Packers, their offense of line was practically held together by a bandaid the last two years with injuries to Chad Clifton and Bulaga not to mention the journeymen inside. McCarthy countered the weakness by creating an offense designed to spread the defense with empty backfield and quick hits, allowing his playmakers to create with the ball in their hands. Even in the Red Zone the offense opened in a spread look and motioned players into running plays or letting Rodgers sneak through the middle.

I agree that the Interior line should be addressed in either the draft or Free agency but there is no need to panic and overspend like Jerry did with Leonard a couple years ago. Find players that fit your scheme and JG needs to play toward their strenghts.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyFan73 View Post
So if we get some CBs and a Safety in free agency, should we spend our first 3 rounds on OL? Resigned Sensy to a 5 year deal.
Well, if we land a CB and S like Griffin and Terrell Thomas, I wouldn't mind going interior OL with 2 of our first 3 picks. All three would be overkill, but I wouldn't mind two. People are selling the importance of the interior OL short. Especially on this team, because Romo is a short QB. Pressure in his face is what makes Romo make stupid decisions. I know Murray made the OL look a lot better than they were, but with better push up the middle it will make him that much better.

If we were to take DeCastro at 14, and someone like Ben Jones was there in the 3rd, I'd do it in a heartbeat. This is of course only if we didn't address it in free agency. Players like Kowlaski, Nagy, and Costa SHOULD NOT prohibit you from drafting a better player. That's just dumb. If a great receiver were to be there at 14 then obviously you don't pick him because of who we have on this team. The current interior OL situation should not have the same effect on decisions at all. You can't have too many good football players.

Where's Thule? I want to read some of his opinions.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...s-with-coaches

According to that report, Houck and Maxie are going to return. Calvin Watkins is an idiot, so I really hope this is just a reporter making an incorrect assumption.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I noticed that too. I thought it was weird looking at Murray's impressive rise this season. He had such big numbers when he started, but he only got 2 touchdowns. The red zone scoring really needs to be addressed. I put a lot of that on Garrett. His playcalling down there was either highly predictable or really mind boggling. The line does need to get better. You can run it up the middle when you have no push, but there also is no need to do some of the things Garrett did at the goal line this season.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote