Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaU4Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
As a side note did anyone see Kyle Kosier flip the bird on camera last night after his illegal hands to the face penalty?
haha I saw that
I wonder if the NFL will fine him for that?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Also, have we resigned Crayton yet, I can't remember.
No he is a RFA.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaU4Life
Quote:
As a side note did anyone see Kyle Kosier flip the bird on camera last night after his illegal hands to the face penalty?
haha I saw that
I wonder if the NFL will fine him for that?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, with McQuistan being active for the last few games of the season, and Parcells praising him for doing well, and his new role on special teams, I wouldn't be surprised if BP had some plans for him in the near future. I'm not saying he's our starting LT next season, but I think BP is going to start to try and mold him into that future LT. We might have something with him.
McQwistan is the guy who broke Austin free on his kick return yesterday...he blocked two guys...I really liked what I saw of him on special teams...this just goes further to proove that OT isn't a first round need. However...Jared Gaither is very intriguing.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

BuffaloDraftGeek hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you guys think of A.J. Bennett, part time holder out of Eastern Michigan?
BuffaloDraftGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Also, have we resigned Crayton yet, I can't remember.
No he is a RFA.
I really like Crayton, but I wouldn't mind seeing him go too much. It would save us money to just move Hurd to #3 and help develop Austin a bit more.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek
What do you guys think of A.J. Bennett, part time holder out of Eastern Michigan?
Romo was our holder all year and he messed one up. We don't need a holder that bad.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Sidney Rice declared. Boy, I would love to get him.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

I want a new receiver as bad as the next but I feel like we are taking Crayton for granted. He is good. In fact I think he is great. Not only that but he probably has the best relationship with Romo out of all the receivers.

And another reason I don't think we go receiver is because Jerry already said TO is coming back so I don't even think the receiver position will get touched this off-season, which is unfortunate considering the draft class.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

I'm just saying I'd love to have him. It's not a prediction. With JJ saying TO will stay and the possibility of Hurd and Austin being good players sometime in the future, I don't think it'll happen. I personally thought TO would be gone, but now that we know he'll stay, it changes a lot.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm just saying I'd love to have him. It's not a prediction. With JJ saying TO will stay and the possibility of Hurd and Austin being good players sometime in the future, I don't think it'll happen. I personally thought TO would be gone, but now that we know he'll stay, it changes a lot.

Yeah I was with you, I wanted TO gone too.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ROMO!
Sorry guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i like all these DEs declaring gives us the ability to take one later for a good value....
what do you guy see as the positions of need for this draft??
1.Safety- we need a solid cover safety
2.ILB - brady james/akin just isn't getting it done
3.DE - we have to get a pass rush
4.O-line - our line is getting older
5.WR - glenn and owens arn't young bucks
6.CB - henry is suspect and glenn is aging

very basic more to come but thoughts on my initial thoguhts
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

My list of needs is
1.FS
2.G
3.NT
4.WR
5.CB

I think we can get it done at DE with the bodies we have right now. I also don't see ILB as that big of a need. And why don't you have NT on you're list? That's quite a need.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What I think our needs are:
1. OG-Someone to replace Rivera.
2. NT-High energy guy who doesn't have to be very big. Packup situational NT and contibutor in the nickel pass rush.
3. LB-Someone with skills comparable to Burnett. Preferably a young guy who can replace Bradie on the nickel defense and be a solid backup at either inside or outside LB.
4. Pass Rusher-With Ellis' future being uncertain we need someone who can rush the passer from the outside to make sure Ware and Carpenter get breaks during the game. Could be DE or LB in our scheme it doesn't matter.
5. S-A 2nd day player who can play right away in nickel situations for Roy. Won't get a lot of playing time and can't be too aggressive.
6. QB-We need a veteran backup for Romo and possibly a developmental guy.

Edit-Forgot CB. Preferably a later round guy with tons of potential. Reeves and Jones would both be serviceable as a nickel corner if we ever needed one and probably could be for years to come, but I would like to invest a 2nd day pick on a guy who could eventually start for us. The ability to return punts would be a bonus.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Why is Safety so low on your list, JDallas?

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Also, with McQuistan being active for the last few games of the season, and Parcells praising him for doing well, and his new role on special teams, I wouldn't be surprised if BP had some plans for him in the near future. I'm not saying he's our starting LT next season, but I think BP is going to start to try and mold him into that future LT. We might have something with him.
McQwistan is the guy who broke Austin free on his kick return yesterday...he blocked two guys...I really liked what I saw of him on special teams...this just goes further to proove that OT isn't a first round need. However...Jared Gaither is very intriguing.
I think after next year, when Flozell's contract is up, I think BigMac will be our starting LT.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because Watkins is the future.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because I still believe that Watkins can be the future.

Before the draft he was the number 3 safety on my draft board behind Huff and Bullocks. His play at FSU and his amazing measurables made me believe he would be a very good player in this league.

If you remember in the preseason I said I thought it would be a year before he started because his body wasn't thick enough to be a fulltime player. He exceeded my expectations this year by starting so many games and has invaluable experience.

I didn't see anything to make me believe that I was wrong about him prior to the draft. I knew he was an exceptional special teams player. I knew that he had the physical ability to play the position and perhaps play it differently than anyone has before. He seemed like a guy that could sit back there in zone coverage and just not get beat deep which was what I thought we needed at FS.

If you remember when he got benched it was because he got beat in man coverage and also seemed to have trouble judging the ball in the air. He performed well in the roles that I thought he should and showed that he has the ability to play the position. He'll probably never be great in man coverage because of his height, but should be able to cover TEs and should have no problem playing zone. He actually impressed me with his ability in run support as I didn't expect much out of him there.

If a guy like Landry dropped to us I wouldn't get mad about picking him, but I wouldn't get overly excitied. Someone like him would allow us to do some very interesting things defensively, but I know it's not our biggest need.

If you noticed in my list of needs I wanted a cheap safety to play some nickel when you don't want Roy back there. He would probably only play like 15 defensive plays in a game in very obvious pass situations and also for a changeup defensive formation.

The changeup formations would have Roy switch to a LB role in the nickel. He wouldn't be a true LB, but more like a moster back for those of you that are familiar with the role. He would be lined up a couple yards farther back than a LB and would be able to freelance quite a bit and maybe shadow certain players.

Now that I think about it a guy like Landry could fill a couple needs as he could probably develop into a guy you could play in the slot if you wanted, but I would have to take some more time thinking about whether that is something I would want or not.

I still think that OG and a backup NT are our biggest needs by far.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think after next year, when Flozell's contract is up, I think BigMac will be our starting LT.
He started a couple games this preseason and he certainly didn't look lost out there or anything. He'll be a player in the near future.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-07-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you noticed in my list of needs I wanted a cheap safety to play some nickel when you don't want Roy back there. He would probably only play like 15 defensive plays in a game in very obvious pass situations and also for a changeup defensive formation.

The changeup formations would have Roy switch to a LB role in the nickel. He wouldn't be a true LB, but more like a moster back for those of you that are familiar with the role. He would be lined up a couple yards farther back than a LB and would be able to freelance quite a bit and maybe shadow certain players.
THANK YOU. OMG yes. Exactly. That's exactly what I want to do. I posted a while back that I think if we got a cheap safety who could play in Roy's place on passing downs that it could really benefit us. Also moving him to linebacker in that situation would be huge!

Watkins was probably 1 of 2 players I actually projected the Boys getting and we all wanted a guy with size who could be a ballhawk. Watkins can be, especially if we stick with him this next year.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He started a couple games this preseason and he certainly didn't look lost out there or anything. He'll be a player in the near future.
Thule is right. Jared Gaither is interesting if that happens. He is like 6'9 340 lbs and ran a 4.75 in High School. But I can't imagine a franchise LT slipping past 5. Another freak from Maryland.

Be nice to see a hard working kids with skills make it. Hurd, Austin and McQuistan. Let us see what Whitley does in the OS.

Is Montavius even with the team in any way?
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

THANK YOU. OMG yes. Exactly. That's exactly what I want to do. I posted a while back that I think if we got a cheap safety who could play in Roy's place on passing downs that it could really benefit us. Also moving him to linebacker in that situation would be huge!

Watkins was probably 1 of 2 players I actually projected the Boys getting and we all wanted a guy with size who could be a ballhawk. Watkins can be, especially if we stick with him this next year.
Ya don't think Elam and Watkins at safety with Roy in Rover on 3rd gets it done?

How much cheaper can you go at the safety position? Curious ....
Old 01-07-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Quote:

Ya don't think Elam and Watkins at safety with Roy in Rover on 3rd gets it done?

How much cheaper can you go at the safety position? Curious ....
We mean somebody with actual talent. No offense but Elam isn't exactly what we are looking for. We mean somebody whose specialty is coverage but would be cheap.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
I want a new receiver as bad as the next but I feel like we are taking Crayton for granted. He is good. In fact I think he is great. Not only that but he probably has the best relationship with Romo out of all the receivers.

And another reason I don't think we go receiver is because Jerry already said TO is coming back so I don't even think the receiver position will get touched this off-season, which is unfortunate considering the draft class.
You don't think this is Jerry trying to find trade value for TO?

Can't throw him over board at this point and get something for him obviously.

Have a hard time believing this story for a variety of reasons one of which is that it hand cuffs any coach going into 2007.