Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-free-agency/

Quote:
Report: Carl Nicks “expected to leave” New Orleans in free agency

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 15, 2012, 11:44 AM EST

Reuters
Drew Brees is a free agent, but we know he’s not going anywhere this offseason.

So the Saints essentially have two options. They can strike a deal quickly with Brees or they can place the franchise tag on him to retain his rights while continuing to work on a long-term deal, like the Colts did with Peyton Manning last year.

Option No. 2 includes a hidden cost. The Saints won’t have the option to use their franchise tag elsewhere, and they have at least two other great candidates.

Guard Carl Nicks and wide receiver Marques Colston are both headed for free agency. Florio has explained previously Colston won’t take a hometown discount.

Nicks will be especially difficult to keep on a long-term deal because the Saints have already paid huge money for Jahri Evans and Nicks is viewed as one of the very best guards in football. Retaining Nicks on a one-year deal would be ideal, but it won’t be possible unless Brees’ contract is worked out quickly.

Nicks is “expected to leave” town, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

This gives Brees greater leverage in negotiations, but it also puts him in a tricky spot. The Saints can’t handle their other important free agent business and build the best team around Brees until they get his contract done.
Hey Jerry, now would be a good time to stop being cheap.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone see the Niner game yesterday? Holy **** we are a long ways away from being a great defense lol.

That said, it emphasizes how important your front 7 is. They don't have alot of studs in their secondary. Granted, we don't have even 1 CB as good as Carlos Rodgers right now, but after that those guys are average. Tarrell Brown is their #2 guy. Their safeties are nothing special, Whitner hits hard and can force fumbles but covering or in space he's a liability too.

But look at their LBers across the board, Aldon Smith doesn't even start yet. Then Justin Smith playing out of his mind. I have never seen Ware play with the type of motor I saw out of Justin Smith play with yesterday, point blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always admired Justin Smith from afar but I had no idea he had that kind of dominance in him. I think Niners fans should give Singletary some kudos for having the vision and putting together the foundation of their defense, most of that front 7 was put together under his regime. They're gonna be around for a while.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can get a true NT, hopefully Ratliff can be our Justin Smith. NT/DE hybrid who just wreaks havoc. Don't sleep on Sean Lissmore either. He's pretty much a Justin Smith clone, and not just because he's white. Similar size, great motor, deceptive athleticism.

As for Nicks, Broaddus said the front office is really looking at center more than guard. So I don't know how realistic the possibility Nicks coming here is. I would obviously love the move, but like D-Unit I really don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

One thing should be certain though, with the ineptitude of some of the players on this team and the money we now have in the cap, we BETTER sign some good players. We haven't signed anyone important since '07 with Leonard Davis, and while i'm not one who thinks free agency is the best way to get players, watching us do nothing while teams like the Texans land Jonathan Joseph is starting to get annoying and boring at the same time. Sign some people Jerry.

Any two positions of C/G, OLB, CB, and true NT need to be addressed. Bang two out in free agency, draft another at 14, and hope to work something out with the last remaining spot. Even if we only fill 3 out of the 4 i'll be happy. Can't have a pro-bowler everywhere.

EDIT: Just reading more of Broaddus' tweets to other fans, he said that they may just draft DeCastro and sign a veteran CB. He also said he'll have an article on wednesday on ESPN Dallas on how to fix the cowboys. Can't wait.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 01-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'l be looking forward to that. I think a very solid player at G/C and/or CB is a must. Gives us more flexibility with pick 14. I wish I had a read on how the team feels about a true NT, we have been clamoring for one here for what, 3-4 years now? Lol.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the playoffs have shown what a good front 7 can do. Best guy available is my vote for round 1.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Anyone watching GB giving the game away to the GMen?

Can the GMen get any luckier? Seems like all their Playoff runs start with improbable drops by opposing WR or improbably bad throws by opposing QB.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Well we only have ourselves to blame. We had numerous chances to lock up the division and send them home even with how pitiful this team is. Also, did you see all these calls GB is getting? I'd hardly call NY lucky. The only GB TD was a gift. It's our fault more then anything.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What these playoffs reinforced is that good wrap up tackling is vital for a great defense. The niners defenders didn't miss tackles, they wrap up and always take the correct angles. Their fundamentals are outstanding. Now look at the Green Bay D and their inability to wrap up properly in this game.

I pine for a defense as disciplined and prepared as the Niners.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What these playoffs reinforced is that good wrap up tackling is vital for a great defense. The niners defenders didn't miss tackles, they wrap up and always take the correct angles. Their fundamentals are outstanding. Now look at the Green Bay D and their inability to wrap up properly in this game.

Great point Paul, I said the exact same thing watching the game. They tackle with form, fundamentals. Look at Patrick Willis, he should make a video on how to tackle but they all do it. They all hit hard too.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

The 9ers defense did just give up 32 points. It's not like they held the saints to single digits or something.. But boy do they hit, and hit hard.

But yes, tackling is so undervalued in the NFL. Take Hakeem Nicks' long TD for instance, if the safety just wraps up thats an 18 yard catch. Instead, he goes for the highlight hit and Nicks bounces off for a 66 yard touchdown. Pathetic. Why are you in the NFL?

As for luck, the giants got a decent amount of it. 3 fumbles lost, 8 drops, and 2 ridiculous miss throws that a pee wee QB could make is a little fishy. The game was almost scripted.

I live in the northeast, if the Giants will the Super Bowl....
Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Eh, I don't know why guys call fumbles luck still. You have to force them out, hitting hard, at the right spot, stripping, etc. It's not like they are rolling it out to the other team. I've never viewed that, or turnovers as luck.

Missed throws happen when you haven't played in 3 weeks, it's human. I don't see how that's fishy. Rodgers isn't a robot, take some time off and things like that happen.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Luck? The Giants had 2 huge blown calls against them that extended the only scoring drives GB had all game. They controlled the game from start to finish. They're a good team, I have great respect for Tom Coughlin and Eli.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Eh, I don't know why guys call fumbles luck still. You have to force them out, hitting hard, at the right spot, stripping, etc. It's not like they are rolling it out to the other team. I've never viewed that, or turnovers as luck.

Missed throws happen when you haven't played in 3 weeks, it's human. I don't see how that's fishy. Rodgers isn't a robot, take some time off and things like that happen.
I believe that time off does hurt someone a little bit, but he's the best QB in football and his misses to Jennings and Finley are unacceptable. I don't care if you haven't played in 30 years, those throws were pitch and catch without a DB in sight..

As for the fumbles, Kuhn's was pretty lucky. He hasn't lost a fumble in his ENTIRE CAREER, and his own lineman bumped into him and knocked it out.

The Giants played well, but they definitely had the football gods on their side today.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I've always admired Justin Smith from afar but I had no idea he had that kind of dominance in him. I think Niners fans should give Singletary some kudos for having the vision and putting together the foundation of their defense, most of that front 7 was put together under his regime. They're gonna be around for a while.
^^ That is gospel
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
It's our fault more then anything.
^^^^^^^ this
Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Not to mention... how the hell do you not bat down that hail mary to Nicks?

The Giants do have someone on their side right now, that's all I have to say.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post

Can't say that in the NFL Forum. To them GMen are playing flawless football.

The string of inexplicable plays benefiting the GMen is amazing. Like 2007.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Can't say that in the NFL Forum. To them GMen are playing flawless football.

The string of inexplicable plays benefiting the GMen is amazing. Like 2007.
It makes me even more said because the exact opposite happens to the Cowboys. :(
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post

The Packers weren't expecting a hail mary, they were defending the sidelines thinking the Giants were settling for a quick out to make the FG attempt a little easier. Still was a heck of a play by Nicks though.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am so jealous watching the teams play late in the playoffs. And I am jealous because they have multiple good pass rushers. We don't, and it will continue to make our defensive backs looks worse than they really are until we get another guy that can get after a quarterback.

I am not saying our DB's are great, but their biggest problem is their opposing QB"s have way to much time and are rarely harassed by anyone not named Ware. I really believe this.

It is all a moot point, though, unless we can fix the interior offensive line.

And for those that disagree with my opinion about adding pass rushers before DB's-I know I can't change your mind. I have tried in the past, but can't do it. But before you disagree this time, go look at the teams that make it past the first round of the playoffs. They can all harass the QB. Except the Pats. Who seem to be able to take a nobody and make him a good player at any position at the game. I would love to know how they do that.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Pass Rush

I think that is the major problem with our front 7. We have Ware on one side and we don't have a DE can can cause havoc on the line. We also have the inability to rush the QB from our other LB positions. I think if we could get some more push from our front 7 we would not be in this position. I think we get a top FA OG and turn and draft all Defense with our top three picks. I CB..and some LB and DL help. You just have to keep drafting Linemen every year and they will get better. You can keep everybody, but drafting enough of them will keep the revolving door of DL on our team adequate in this times of FA.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

We just need better athletes on defense overall, and that is why I think our defense will be better by default.

Bruce Carter and whoever else we add at ILB will be better athletes brooking and bradie instantly. Whoever replaces Newman at CB, assuming it's a quality free agent or a 1st or 2nd round pick will be a much better player than him. For the great player and athlete Newman once was, he's a joke now. He was a 10.2 100 meter guy (which is ******* fast) and Cruz made him look stupid. Cruz is young and ran like a 4.5 at his pro day, and he gained separation on Newman. To the point, anyone we get there will be better.

Get a true NT and move ratliff to DE, and that boosts the athleticism and speed at defensive end. (if Ratliff is still good in that position, which isn't a given)

Now comes OLB. This is really a problem, because we probably aren't re-signing Spencer, and if we do he's still a JAG. There is no one in this draft worth the 14th pick, and really no one in free agency unless we brake the bank on Mario Williams which probably has a 2% chance of actually happening.

Safety is another issue, but if worst comes to worst i'm okay with Barry Church starting as long as we've cleaned up other spots like CB, true NT, etc.

Also, you would think Jerome Henderson will be a much better secondary coach because Campo was just that bad.

So if you add it all together, our defense should be better by default:

A full off-season in Rob's system, better secondary coach, anyone is better than Newman at CB and bradie and brooking at ILB, and a true NT and ratliff to DE makes our down 3 much better.

One can hope..
Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are right we need better athletic players who play hard. I think we have a good group but we need to add some players who want to play. One thing that i like about Garrett is that he is giving players a chance to play an it doesn't matter who they are.

A CB in round 1 would be great, but if he want to go with a OG I would be happy too..i think DeCastro would be good. I think we need to keep Robinson and we can fix the defense with the draft.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

I might be wrong but JJ Watt would have made a bigger impact then Tyron Smith. Love Tyron so stop the crazy before it starts.