Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 05-13-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.
Default Question about Potential

I have had this discussion many times regarding a players potential, and the one I continue to bring up is LAwrence Timmons. Now he had only started 1 year at FSU, and had a pretty solid year. But thats all he had was one year. He was rated so high, because he had the one good year, and could only get better. You say he has such high potenital.

Now, take a guy like Jamaal Anderson. TOO MANNY people on here were saying they wouldn't take him because he only had this one good year. Well correct me if Im wrong but i believe he had a pretty good junior year as well. And people still came on here and said that he hadnt proven himself, and only ONE good year. Well, that doesnt sound any different to Lawrence Timmons!

Can anyone explain?
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Hunter S. Thompson
Rookie

Hunter S. Thompson hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He came out as a Jr. He had one good season at Arkansas.
Hunter S. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anderson had a pretty good career, but from what I heard (don't get much Razorback ball where I live) he only really flashed that dominant pass rush ability in 2006.

Timmons flashed a ton of potential last season, and considering his school's history (not to mention Ernie Sims), teams seemed willing to be taking the risk.

edit - I should say that I consider both players to be a bit of a reach where each were taken.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson View Post
well, timmons only PLAYED one year at FSU

i think the jamaal anderson stuff is bs...he was the best DE in this drfat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson View Post
you can say the same exact thing about Timmons
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Timmons actually played alot at FSU, he only started one full year. But Nicholson and Sims missed some time last year and Timmons filled in. FSU also rotates their defensive players as much as any team in the country (which can be a problem sometimes). Not to mention Timmons has been a special teams standout since his true freshman season where even in limited time you always were noticing his name being called.

Anyways Anderson and Sims are really in the same position as being labeled one year wonders and alot of potential.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

A lot of players are "one year wonders", especially juniors who declare.

Brandon Jackson and Robert Meachem were two other guys who really only had one really strong season.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Potential isnt so much based on how long you started for but more what makes you a prospect. For instance a guy like Russell has more potential than Quinn because of a gun of an arm and the fact that his weaknesses are those that can be related to inexperience where as Quinn is more of a guy who just needs refinement but has most of it already in place.

Of course this means nothing in 5 years time. Ryan Leaf also had more potential than Peyton Manning at some point work ethic will separate everyone. Anderson looks good to me, I think he is the best DE prospect in this draft but I think all the DE got overrated this year. I dont think any were great value inside 20 at best I think Anderson should have gone 15-20 range but Anderson certainly has potential himself.

Timmons has a lot of potential because he is so athletic and passes the eye test. He, like Russell, has problems that be associated with inexperience and thus is seen as a guy that will get a lot better, he might not, inexperience may just be slow making reads but either way, the potential improvement is great. A guy like Anderson pretty much is what he is. He is a good athlete with a good motor and a knack for getting to the QB who is solid against the run. A lot like a guy like Kampman, who through hard work exceeded anyones potential expectations. Anderson isnt as raw as Timmons basically.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ernie Siims was drafted on potential. He underacieved at FSU.

and yeah, Timmons has been a key contribuor since he was a true freshman. Just never started because he had Sims and Nicholson ahead of him. No shame in that

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
I have had this discussion many times regarding a players potential, and the one I continue to bring up is LAwrence Timmons. Now he had only started 1 year at FSU, and had a pretty solid year. But thats all he had was one year. He was rated so high, because he had the one good year, and could only get better. You say he has such high potenital.

Now, take a guy like Jamaal Anderson. TOO MANNY people on here were saying they wouldn't take him because he only had this one good year. Well correct me if Im wrong but i believe he had a pretty good junior year as well. And people still came on here and said that he hadnt proven himself, and only ONE good year. Well, that doesnt sound any different to Lawrence Timmons!

Can anyone explain?
The difference between the 2 was quite noticable to pro scouts. Timmons basically played the position he will in the pros while Anderson compiled all his stats playing against college RT's. Neither is guaranteed anything as a pro but Anderson will have to show people that he can be just as effective against NFL LT's. If he had compiled his college stats against college LT's, he might have been the 1st or 2nd player drafted, but he didn't, leaving a huge question mark about how productive he'll be when he switches to RDE as a pro. The fact he went #8 while only playing against RT's could make Anderson the biggest steal or bust in the draft. He could turnout to be the most talented player in the draft or he may not be as effective against pro LT's, there is no way to be sure just yet.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 AM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The difference between the 2 was quite noticable to pro scouts. Timmons basically played the position he will in the pros while Anderson compiled all his stats playing against college RT's. Neither is guaranteed anything as a pro but Anderson will have to show people that he can be just as effective against NFL LT's. If he had compiled his college stats against college LT's, he might have been the 1st or 2nd player drafted, but he didn't, leaving a huge question mark about how productive he'll be when he switches to RDE as a pro. The fact he went #8 while only playing against RT's could make Anderson the biggest steal or bust in the draft. He could turnout to be the most talented player in the draft or he may not be as effective against pro LT's, there is no way to be sure just yet.
Why would Anderson switch to RE, he is the prototype LE and John Abraham has the RE locked up.
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think timmons has potential, but he has to learn to stop making arm tackles. He needs to body up on people moreTo do that, he needs to get better reads. And to do that, he needs more time in the film room. He will be sucessful asd long as he puts heart into the game. If not, he will bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1690 View Post
I think timmons has potential, but he has to learn to stop making arm tackles. He needs to body up on people moreTo do that, he needs to get better reads. And to do that, he needs more time in the film room. He will be sucessful asd long as he puts heart into the game. If not, he will bust.
Timmons has been a film room junky. I read jim wexall talking and it seems that Timmons is Tomlins Project. He's basically following Tomlin around everywhere.

between Lebeau, Tomlin.. Mitchell and Butler, I could only imagine the look on Butlers face when he found out he was getting Timmons AND Woodley.

I tihnk we're going to really step it up on defense, we're young, have talent and depth everywhere.. I really look for us to move up.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not like Timmons can from nowhere. He was one of Scott's 2 preseason guys that would blow up (the other was Jonathan Stewart).

I really don't get what the OP was talking about though. Some people complained about something and others talked highly of it, but with different players?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
Why would Anderson switch to RE, he is the prototype LE and John Abraham has the RE locked up.
ya thats what im saying. He did what he did at the LE spot, and he has no reason to move over to RE yet.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote