Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmoney View Post
Absolutely absurd. how do they have a murderous lineup?
Alfonso Soriano CF
Matt Murton LF
Derrek Lee 1B
Aramis Ramirez 3B
Jacque Jones RF
Michael Barrett C
Mark DeRosa 2B
Cesar Izturis SS
Carlos Zambrano P

Who fears Matt Murton? Who fears Jacque "hole in my swing" Jones? Who fears Mark DeRosa? That lineup is far from murderous.
I said a murderer's row smart guy, not a murderous lineup. Soriano, Lee, and Ramirez is the best 1,2, 3 punch in the NL on paper. It's a very good line up though all around. I was referring to the Yankees when I made that statement with their big 3 at the time.

Ok I said murderer's row lineup; I mean to say that those three guys are top of the line hitters. Not the whole lineup.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Thats not a well rounded lineup and the pitching staff is average at best.
Not a well rounded lineup? Murton is a very good contact hitter as is Derek Lee (who also happens to be a very good power hitter as well), Barrett is one of the best hitting catchers in the NL, Jones while inconsistent is still dangerous when he gets hot, Soriano is one of the best sluggers in the NL right now, likewise with Ramirez (although he's a much more well rounded hitter than Soriano), DeRosa is a solid guy in the #7 slot, and Izturis is a decent option at #8.

We've got a good blend of good contact and power in there. Not the best all around lineup in the MLB but one of the most powerful. But you're right about pitching, we can't outscore everyone all the time.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What thread is this again?

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Yea that's what I was wondering. How did that baseball thing start anway? I actually thought I was in the baseball section until I saw that it was the college basketball one.

My bad.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
oh yeah, it's College Hoops :)

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol. Florida is a heavy favorite, and we saw in the NC what happened. Does OSU have any chance?

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Lol. Florida is a heavy favorite, and we saw in the NC what happened. Does OSU have any chance?
Yep they do. Oden has to stay on the floor though. Horford and Noah will kill them if Oden can't stay out there.

If Humphrey gets going, I think Florida has this game. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if OSU wins. Two very talented teams going head to head against each other.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Big Mike
Veteran

Big Mike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I picked them to win.

I think now that FLA will win: 64-58

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I picked them to win.

I think now that FLA will win: 64-58
Florida 75 Ohio State 64

Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
pirateboy

i think the gators seem to be gold in everything they do lately.im not saying they are a guarantee but i think with how the gators are pumped its not going to be easy to beat them. then again you know the OSU basketball team wants to make up for where its football team couldnt beat the gators in the NC game. so its going to be very interesting to say the least.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
Breakdown of the National Championship:

PG- OSU Conley obviously takes it over Taurean Green. He's just a flat-out better player everywhere but the free-throw line.

SG- OSU Both Butler and Humphrey can knock down the 3 with consistency, but other than spotting up they're nonexistent on offense. Butler's superior defense decides the matchup.

SF- UF Despite Ron Lewis big play and clutch ability, Corey Brewer is better all-around with defense once again being the deciding factor.

PF- UF Harris is pretty much a spot-up guy for the Buckeyes and isn't a true PF. He won't be able to stop Horford. Easy decision.

C- OSU Greg Oden will dominate Noah. How many blocks did Noah have in last years championship? 6? Oden will beat it.

Bench- OSU Cook is due for a half-decent game and Lighty can come in and play shut down defense while Hunter is another blocking threat on Defense.

Coach- EVEN Donovan could be a distraction because for the Gators and Matta has established himself as a great coach at 3 schools, but you can't give it to him because of the championship score being 1-0.

Buckeyes have a decisive advantage at 4-2 and they will take down the title. Arguments appreciated.
I don't really think "positional matchups" is a fair way to assess an Ohio State vs. Florida title game. The one advantage this Florida unit has is that it works so well together, from a personnel standpoint, and from a skill standpoint. That said,

I agree with Conley over Green, Oden over Noah, Brewer over Lewis, Horford over anything thrown at him.

I'd call Butler and Humphrey a draw. Humphrey's effort on defense is underrated, and if Florida doesn't put Brewer on Conley, I think you will see Humphrey on Conley a lot to give Green a bit of a break. Coach wise, I'll give the nod to Donovan. His staff does a superb job gameplanning and, in particular, adjusting in game. Matta and his group are fine as well, but the Florida coaches are better, IMO. I think the bench is a slight nod in OSU's favor, but that may be because they use more of their bench options. Florida has a lot of talent on that bench, but the starters are on the floor so much, and then Chris Richard and Walter Hodge ably fill roles. Watch for Speights and others to break out next year.

Overall, I think this could be a very good game if everyone plays/coaches up to their ability. The Florida kids came back for this, and they'll be up for this game. The key to the game is Mike Conley Jr. Florida doesn't need to shut him down, just slow him down. I really think putting Brewer on Conley could do the trick, but they may just go with a tagteam effort rotating in Hodge/Green/Humphrey/Brewer. Oden needs to stay out of foul trouble, though, because unlike Georgetown, all of Florida's bigs can put it in the bucket, and if Oden's out, they're going to be in trouble inside.

In all honesty, I guess this is the "deserving" title game. For all the talk about Kansas, UNC, and UCLA this year, along with Wisconsin, Ohio State was the most consistent squad, and Florida was arguably the best squad but just got, maybe, bored, for a stretch. If Florida can slow down Conley Jr. enough, I think they win this game. I don't think it'll be a blowout like earlier this year, maybe something like 75-65 or something like that, but this is Florida's game to lose. That may be a factor in of itself, as Ohio State should be loose.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Do you any of you guys believe that Conley will be a better pro than Oden??? I really think Conley is the next TJ Ford!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I look at them losing against an unranked FSU and LSU team though. I understand Brewer wasn't there the whole time, but I have a feeling Florida could, unconsciously, not respect OSU after beating them by 20+

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Do you any of you guys believe that Conley will be a better pro than Oden??? I really think Conley is the next TJ Ford!
He doesn't have the jumper, he can't hit the three to be a big time NBA PG. He may be good, very good, but not better than Oden.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

jets future smells like sex panther.

well fla is going to win. why? its there style of play thats going to win the game for em. i dont think oden can handel noah and horford. in order osu to win the "other" guys have to step up. and thats how this game will be decided.
jets future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I just hope this game is better than the ones from Saturday. God those sucked.

My Breakdown:

This on paper is a very good matchup. Both have good backcourts and good frontlines, with deep benches. Both teams can play both in halfcourt, and they can get out and run. Both teams are physical and shoot the three well.

Ohio State: Oden needs to stay on the floor this time in order to win. They were lucky that Georgetown didn't capitalize on Oden being on Saturday, but if he goes out early, they're in trouble IMO. Conley could cause some problems for Florida's guards. And personally, I might think about putting Brewer on him early to help prevent the dribble drive. Jamar Butler isn't a very big 2 guard, so I think Green could guard him (size wise). Conley has been IMO the best player in the Tournament. The guy is just amazing. He's getting to the basket at will, he's making outside jumpers, he's playing good defense, and his passing has been spot on. I really believe however that in order for tOSU to win, Butler, Harris, and Lewis will all need to step up as upperclassmen. I don't think you can rely on the Fab Freshman to carry you in this game. And as of late, all 3 of those guys have been stepping up. I can't really say whether I think they should push the tempo or stay half court. With Oden in there, I think they should stay half court, but when he's out I think they should run, run, run. 3 pointers need to fall tonight as well. Just have to go by feel and tempo.

Florida: They've got the experience, the depth, and the frontline to win this thing. Horford didn't have a very good game against UCLA and I think he has to step up tonight or they could lose. Noah is going to have his hands full with Oden on him (I'm assuming Greg will guard Noah), so Horford needs to pick up the slack. I like the Harris/Brewer matchup. I think Harris has the length to guard Brewer, and vice versa. Lee Humphrey is the X-Factor. If he's on tonight, look out. Because he'll stretch the defense and open things up. Taurean Green needs to limit the turnovers and play smart basketball. If he plays like he did against UCLA at the end, Florida is in trouble. I like UF's bench and if they can get production out of Richard again, who was a beast on the glass against UCLA, I really like UF's chances. The great thing about Florida is they have the perfect blend of the halfcourt/run and gun with their starting 5. Both Green and Brewer are incredibly good on the run (Noah likewise runs the floor well for a big guy). But they can also run the half court and be just as effective. Green is great at penetrating, as is Brewer and Horford is the best post player in the nation IMO.

I just think Florida has too much for tOSU. It'll be a good game IMO, but I just like Florida's experience, balance, and depth too much. Florida wins 68-63.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

No one has really mentioned Lighty yet. He had a VERY good defensive game against Green and really played physical he could match-up on someone and give them a fight.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
No one has really mentioned Lighty yet. He had a VERY good defensive game against Green and really played physical he could match-up on someone and give them a fight.
Jeff Green played incredibly passive in that game, and he got so little touches, I can't really decide if it was Lighty's D, or if Green just wasn't there mentally.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I rewatched the game and Lighty was right on him when he was guarding him. We wouldn't have played him 23 minutes otherwise.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
I rewatched the game and Lighty was right on him when he was guarding him. We wouldn't have played him 23 minutes otherwise.
When Green wanted to be agressive though he was effective. I like what Lighty did against him but Green just wasn't agressive at all. I mean he didn't even force much.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
He doesn't have the jumper, he can't hit the three to be a big time NBA PG. He may be good, very good, but not better than Oden.
The only problem I have though is that Oden hasn't proven he has the offensive game to be dominate in the NBA

Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
The only problem I have though is that Oden hasn't proven he has the offensive game to be dominate in the NBA
I have a feeling he's going to silence some critics tonight. Get him the ball early and often. Noah cannot handle Oden.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
jets future
Pro Bowler

jets future smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
I have a feeling he's going to silence some critics tonight. Get him the ball early and often. Noah cannot handle Oden.
yea but horford and noah can.
fla has a better inside game, cus they got more of it
jets future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That doesn't mean he can't still dominate defensively like a bigger Ben Wallace, but he already has a better offensive game than Wallace and he's only, what 19? He's got the potential to be a great offensive player too. Hopefully it shows up tonight.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Jeff Green played incredibly passive in that game, and he got so little touches, I can't really decide if it was Lighty's D, or if Green just wasn't there mentally.
If I remember correctly, didn't the OSU guys note that Green was much more passive than they anticipated?
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote