Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As soon as this UT/UF game is over...

I will hope to have a list of reasons why Billy Donovan should be fired.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to go to the bathroom so badly, but I can't leave Gus. I just can't.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
They also gave us Manny Harris in the same game. 'Tis a beautiful day.

Michigan would be so good if they had a guy like Hasheem Thabeet at center.
Just about any team would be good. Any SEC team with a guy like him would be instant dynamite. There isn't a single decent big in the conference besides Patterson and Varnardo (sp).
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
As soon as this UT/UF game is over...

I will hope to have a list of reasons why Billy Donovan should be fired.
1) Doesn't teach his defense to contest shots (are you kidding me, 60% FG against)

2) Can't get his players to play hard for 40 minutes and hustle

3) Terrible coaching on transition defense

4) Not only does he lets Dan Werner play, but Werner starts AND takes shots

5) Has put together consistently below average defensive gameplans

6) Nick Calathes and Erving Walker don't take every shot (seriously, they're the only decent players)

there's probably more, but that's what I have for now.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kansas destroys Mizzou and once again all is right with the world
Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mizzou got spanked today. They couldn't hit anything and Kansas couldn't miss anything. Oh well, blowouts like that are easier to get over than close games.

Love the Gus Johnson love!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MU sucks balls.

Case Closed.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
1) Doesn't teach his defense to contest shots (are you kidding me, 60% FG against)

2) Can't get his players to play hard for 40 minutes and hustle

3) Terrible coaching on transition defense

4) Not only does he lets Dan Werner play, but Werner starts AND takes shots

5) Has put together consistently below average defensive gameplans

6) Nick Calathes and Erving Walker don't take every shot (seriously, they're the only decent players)

there's probably more, but that's what I have for now.
You poor thing. I really feel for you and your coach with two recent national titles.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Bill Self isn't named the National Coach of the Year, it's a damn shame...24-5 and a fifth straigth Big 12 Title in a "rebuilding year"...Amazing

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
If Bill Self isn't named the National Coach of the Year, it's a damn shame...24-5 and a fifth straigth Big 12 Title in a "rebuilding year"...Amazing
They haven't clinched the Big 12 title yet. And they were lucky enough to get Oklahoma without Blake Griffin. It's a great year but they do have a lot of talent and they aren't really the best team in the Big 12, so I don't know how if he's definitely the coach of the year.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
They haven't clinched the Big 12 title yet. And they were lucky enough to get Oklahoma without Blake Griffin. It's a great year but they do have a lot of talent and they aren't really the best team in the Big 12, so I don't know how if he's definitely the coach of the year.
We clinch it with a win against Texas Tech...Yeah, I'd say we've clinched the Big 12.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We clinch it with a win against Texas Tech...Yeah, I'd say we've clinched the Big 12.
Meh, don't be overconfident. You have clinched nothing yet.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
You poor thing. I really feel for you and your coach whose ability is directly proportional to the talent of his players.
I should have my own charity or something, I know.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Outside of Oklahoma and Kansas, the Big 12 sucks and is very inconsistent. Texas is a waste, Mizzou has been overrated all year long (we spanked them earlier in the year), OSU is overrated based on a tough schedule....I give credit to Self for what he has done but at the same point I look at what a guy like Weber has done with a walk on SG, a PG that was booed at home by fans last year, a PG that is considered to be "lazy," a 19 year old center who weighs less than my pair of jeans, a PF who might weigh about 2 lbs heavier than Tisdale, a 5th year senior who has been in the doghouse for much of his career, a JC transfer from Texas, Michael Jordan's son...All this while losing far and away our best player (Jamar Smith) after he was dismissed from the team, we lost two other guys as well from last years team...And while Alex Legion (the guy who was supposed to kind of "complete" the team with his offense) really hasn't done much, just has had a hard time adjusting...And we find ourselves 3rd in the conference with the highest RPI in the country.

No one saw our season coming at all especially with a conference that is much improved over last season. I remember a couple KU fans on here saying they would be top 15 when the year was done and it looks as if they were right, although I thought the Big 12 was going to be better than it has been this year. We were picked to go to the NIT this season by a lot of people and will wind up with hopefully a 5 seed or lower in the Tournament.

IMHO Bruce has done less with more. Yes Self lost a lot but he still has some serious talent on that roster (Collins, Aldrich, Little, Taylor, Morris, etc).

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Idk I look at the rosters and the conferences/schedules and I think Weber should be looked at heavily as the COTY, especially with what transpired last year, losing 5 guys off last years team, and having to replace them with walk ons.

Trent Meacham and Chester Frazier won't touch Pro Basketball (apart from maybe a lower Euro league) after their careers are done at Illinois and yet their turn around from last year and what they have done for this team is nothing short of spectacular. Sure guys like DMac, Davis and Tizz have potential down the road to be very good players, but all 3 of them have been inconsistent this year, all 3 of them have gone through a patch of the season where they did not play well.

My honest opinion as a die hard fan of this team, miracle. There is no reason for us to be us good as we are. Is it a fluke? I don't think so because I don't think we've been lucky this year. We won because we played lock down defense and worked our asses off. We had two games under 45 points this year I believe, Kansas hasn't even come close to that point output.

Again the turnaround from last year to this year with all the variables in between, I'm pretty astonished as a fan because I can guarantee about 90% of the fan base was worried after we lost Jamar, that this season was going to be another failure. In fact, Weber's job was being called for by a lot of people.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry to nitpick, but Illinois is 19th in RPI everywhere I've seen.

And honestly, COY will prolly go to Calhoun or Dixon.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Sorry to nitpick, but Illinois is 19th in RPI everywhere I've seen.

And honestly, COY will prolly go to Calhoun or Dixon.
Well of course it will, usually winning is the key ingredient in that award. Weber has done more with less than IMO any other coach in the country. Pitt has guys like Blair, Fields, and Young. UCONN has Thabeet, Adrian, etc...Illinois' best player this year, Chester Frazier.

If there is a deserving coach out there I'd say Bruce should be at least a finalist for it. UCONN was expected to do well, Pitt was expected to do well, hell I think even Kansas fans expected a pretty good year with what they had coming back. Illinois fans feared this season with all that we lost and with the roster we had. Illinois wasn't even on the map as far as potential top 25 teams this year, it took us to get into conference undefeated before we even got considered for it.

Call me a homer or whatever but if we're talking about "coaching" this year, Weber has done some magic with this team. For the most part we were a middle of the pack to lower Big 10 Team in the pre-season and now find ourselves as a possible 4 or 5 seed.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, any Big XI coach is going to get discredited by the media for the conference being "bad" this year. MSU is the most consistent team, and that's not saying much. Between Illinois, Purdue, Minny, and Michigan, you don't really know what you are going to get, they have all played stellar at times and at other times don't even look like they belong in the NIT.

The COY is prolly going to Calhoun, Dixon, or Capel, and my outside shot darkhorse is Pitino depending on how Louisville, Pitt, and UConn end the season. I'm going with Dixon though.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 03-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Trent Johnson at LSU?

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
What about Trent Johnson at LSU?
Oh, I completely forgot about LSU. I think he's done a great job, but the fact that the SEC balows this year hurts him. I would prolly have him as a personal top 3 candidate, but in reality he won't be.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweetness is right. The big 12 is a joke for the most part. Kansas may very well be overrated too. It's hard for me to buy into them.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Sweetness is right. The big 12 is a joke for the most part. Kansas may very well be overrated too. It's hard for me to buy into them.
Yes, outside of Oklahoma, I can't really feel confident about the Big 12, mainly Mizzou and Kansas. I mean, the main reason they both have gone on these stretches of winning and jumps in the rankings is from playing in the Big 12, Kansas especially since they got Oklahoma sans Griffin.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Yes but the Big 10 >> Pac 10, Big 12, and the SEC and we have the highest RPI rating of the conferences I do believe. I'd rank the Big 10 behind the ACC and the Big East.

I encourage people to go to our roster, break it down, and find out how the hell we got 23 wins out of this team. None of the players right now on this squad are NBA players. Davis, Tisdale, and DMac could be down the line but not even close right now. Our two senior guards have been lambasted by our fan base since they have been on campus (apart from this year).

Talent wise, we are probably a bubble NCAA team to be honest. Again how we are a potential 5 seed is mind boggling which is why I think Weber should be considered for it considering what he's been able to do with his roster.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I mean honestly, who had Illinois on their list for teams who would push for a high seed in March Madness. I can guarantee that pretty much all of you didn't. Hell I know I didn't, I was thinking NIT when we lost Jamar Smith. But top 25, 4-5 seed, top 3 in the Big 10 (with a shot at a 2nd place finish)...No way man, no way. And the Big 10 is a pretty solid conference. It's not the ACC or the Big East but it's still a good conference this year up and down (apart from Iowa and IU, sorry treat). No "great teams" but a lot of depth.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Yea, but at least IMO, LSU has been more impressive this year despite playing in a weaker conference. They are in 1st place, have nearly run the table, while having a worse team last year. Yes, the Big XI is more competitive, but Illinois has 6 conference losses in a conference in which after MSU and possibly Purdue, the next 8 teams are not consistent at all and questionable for a performance come tourny time. Illinois does have 2 good wins over Purdue, but they have 4 losses from extremely mediocre Big XI teams and are in 3rd place because of it.

I think Weber deserves to be in the discussion, but he really isn't a top candidate, at least in my eyes.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver