Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should just put one of those stupid conferences back in division 2.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Another thing I don't get, why is Duke facing the play in winner?

Wouldn't having to play in for a spot mean that you are the worst seed, and therefore should have to play the top seed? Why doesn't the top 1 seed get to face the play in winner.

Furthermore, the play in game should really be between bubble teams and not automatic qualifiers. I know most bubble teams are probably better, but they didn't qualify automatically. You shouldn't have to play in if you automatically qualified.
The #1 overall never plays the play in winner. I think it's so they know who they're playing and can watch film and start practicing for a specific team.

Not that it matters.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This will all be moot when they go to 96 teams soon.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
That is just way too many teams in a tournament. I can understand expanding the tournament but you'll have teams with .500 records making the tourney by expanding to 96.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
The #1 overall never plays the play in winner. I think it's so they know who they're playing and can watch film and start practicing for a specific team.

Not that it matters.
Yea, I was just using this year for example, that I figured the play in winner should face the overall #1 seed.

The whole knowing who they play makes sense, I agree, but like you said it doesn't really matter.

Hence, why the whole logic behind a play in game is flawed. If you have to play in, you should be the 64th and 65th teams. That shouldn't be 2 teams that auto qualified. Even if it is, the 64th team should have to face the 1st team, not the 4th. It just makes no logical sense for seeding purposes.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can safely say I'm pulling for Cuse, K-State and Temple.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea, I was just using this year for example, that I figured the play in winner should face the overall #1 seed.

The whole knowing who they play makes sense, I agree, but like you said it doesn't really matter.

Hence, why the whole logic behind a play in game is flawed. If you have to play in, you should be the 64th and 65th teams. That shouldn't be 2 teams that auto qualified. Even if it is, the 64th team should have to face the 1st team, not the 4th. It just makes no logical sense for seeding purposes.
I agree, it doesn't make any sense. Why have those teams be auto-qualifiers if they have to play the play-in games?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These brackets look sweet. I think it's really well-proportioned. It's cool people really like Ohio State, but I don't see any way of them getting past Georgetown if they have to play them.

I'm surprised people think Duke has it easy though. I think the West in general is pretty weak. Duke can easily beat everyone in their division though. I'd say ND or Villanova would probably be the toughest match-ups.

Giving a quick look at it I'd say it's between UK/WVU and Gtown/KU.

BUT MAYBE THIS IS OUR YEAR
Old 03-14-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Not really, then the 97th and 98th teams will just be the ones bitching.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the problem with having two at large teams in the play in game is that you'd be punishing the #1 seed. The last at large teams are still much better than those crappy teams that won their tournament. Look at the last at large teams in. They are 12 seeds. If you have a play in game you'd basically have a 1 seed playing a 12 in the first round.

To do that you'd have to make the play in winner play say a 5 seed instead of a one.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I agree, it doesn't make any sense. Why have those teams be auto-qualifiers if they have to play the play-in games?
Exactly. And if you are the 64th and 65th teams, why aren't you facing the top seed in your first round game (after the play in)?

True, the difference between the 4 16-seeds is probably not all that great, but logistically it makes no sense to have the presumable worst seed face the 4th best seed.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

are we doing a NFLDC group tourny challenge?

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Not really, then the 97th and 98th teams will just be the ones bitching.
Ehh I don't know. If you can't be in the top 3rd of college ball you should just shut up. I understand what you're saying but they really won't have a pot to piss in. Regardless it's a terrible idea.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
are we doing a NFLDC group tourny challenge?
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39419
Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Well the problem with having two at large teams in the play in game is that you'd be punishing the #1 seed. The last at large teams are still much better than those crappy teams that won their tournament. Look at the last at large teams in. They are 12 seeds. If you have a play in game you'd basically have a 1 seed playing a 12 in the first round.

To do that you'd have to make the play in winner play say a 5 seed instead of a one.
That's what I'm saying.

Give the small conference auto qualifiers the low seeds still.

Have the play in game be between two bubble teams for a 12 or 13 seed.

I mean, in all likelihood, those 2 bubble teams are going to be better than a lot of auto qualifying teams. This way, you still allow the 1 seeds to face the weaker teams, while making teams that didn't auto qualify play in.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
That's what I'm saying.

Give the small conference auto qualifiers the low seeds still.

Have the play in game be between two bubble teams for a 12 or 13 seed.

I mean, in all likelihood, those 2 bubble teams are going to be better than a lot of auto qualifying teams. This way, you still allow the 1 seeds to face the weaker teams, while making teams that didn't auto qualify play in.
But then again you bring up the issue of whoever plays the play-in winner being at a disadvantage. And since it'd be a 5-12 rather than a 1-16 it actually would be an issue this time.

The best way to solve all this is to get rid of the play in game.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ehh I don't know. If you can't be in the top 3rd of college ball you should just shut up. I understand what you're saying but they really won't have a pot to piss in. Regardless it's a terrible idea.
I agree that they would have no reason to complain, but then again neither do teams like Illinois or Virginia Tech. They could take 128 teams and teams like Northwestern and Providence would be bitching.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM    (permalink
S4L
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.S4L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And remember, the winner of the play-in game has to play on Friday. And location (which is tied to a Thursday or Friday date) is more important an assignment for the #1 seeds than the matchup.

Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.
S4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But then again you bring up the issue of whoever plays the play-in winner being at a disadvantage. And since it'd be a 5-12 rather than a 1-16 it actually would be an issue this time.

Im not seeing the disadvantage of playing a play in winner in a 5-12. They would certainly be more fresh. This is 35 or so games into the season, I dont really think an extra tuneup game is going to mean much of anything.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:10 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So who is your team playing? My little brother goes to University of Houston and if we both pull off the upset then both of our schools will be playing each other.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
So who is your team playing? My little brother goes to University of Houston and if we both pull off the upset then both of our schools will be playing each other.
My team is Wisconsin and they're playing Wofford.

If you're asking about which games I'm going to, that'd be the Milwaukee games. I only have tickets to the first session though. It'll either be Ohio State-UCSB and Oklahoma State-Georgia Tech or Pitt-Oakland and Xavier-Minnesota.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I agree that they would have no reason to complain, but then again neither do teams like Illinois or Virginia Tech. They could take 128 teams and teams like Northwestern and Providence would be bitching.
Then you take all 347 teams and figure out the byes that way.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My team is Wisconsin and they're playing Wofford.

If you're asking about which games I'm going to, that'd be the Milwaukee games. I only have tickets to the first session though. It'll either be Ohio State-UCSB and Oklahoma State-Georgia Tech or Pitt-Oakland and Xavier-Minnesota.
I am from Houston so I will be working on possibly getting some Elite 8 tickets for one weekend and going back home to go see the games. New Mexico State was pretty easy to get tickets for in 2007 so I am hoping its the same this year. I am glad the game is on Friday so now I can leave Thursday after my exam. Maybe my little brother will get to come too since University of Houston plays in Spokane as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There could be a lot of upsets in the West and South...

Butler vs. UTEP, Vandy vs. Murray State, Xavier vs. Minnesota in the West could all be potential upsets.

In the South, A&M vs. Utah State and Old Dominion vs. Notre Dame are both tough games to pick as well as Richmond vs. St. Mary's

I don't think any one #1 seed can legit say they have the toughest roads, it's all fairly equal...as it should be. People are just claiming that Kansas has the toughest road because of the Evan Turner Hype Machine and Georgetown's upsets over 'Cuse and Duke...But there's a reason why they didn't get higher overall seeds.

But honestly, Kansas has a cakewalk to the Elite 8.

And I think the upset closest to a lock is SDSU over Tennessee.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oakland vs. Pitt

Xio vs. Wingy

I'll be there covering the game.