Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Yes I do still believe he is better than Peppers.
I-... You know what I can't even come up with a response to something that dumb.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Osi Umenyiora has 125 Tackles, 54 Assists, 28.5 Sacks, 8 Passes Defended, and 9 Forced Fumbles in 56 games played.

Will Smith has 109 Tackles, 40 Assists, 26.5 Sacks, 9 Passes Defended, and 11 Forced Fumbles in 46 games played.

Julius Peppers has 203 Tackles, 47 Assists, 53.5 sacks, 3 INTs, 26 passes defended and 17 forced fumbles in 76 games.

Osi would have to average over a sack a game to catch him in that stat, let alone the passes and fumbles, tackles he would probably get there, but RDE's always have more tackles than LDEs, its only normal.
First three years:

Willi Smith has 149 tackles, 26.5 sacks, 11 forced fumbles and 9 passes deflected.

Julius Peppers has 143 tackles, 30 sacks, 12 forced fumbles and 14 passes deflected.

Not a huge difference. Plus Smith wasn't starting his rookie season.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, the summer homerism is beginning already.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*grabs popcorn*
Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

I like chicken, i like liver, meow mix meow mix, please deliver. I like smith more, but its still to early
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I just get pissed when people say anyone is better than Peppers, no player at any position in the league is game planned as much as teams game plan for him.

No one, not Peyton, not LT, not Brady, not Taylor, no one.
Completely ridiculous statement. Arguments can be made that other DEs in the league are better than Peppers. Even if Peppers was head and shoulders above other DEs, he doesn't demand near the preperation of some offensive players.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Completely ridiculous statement. Arguments can be made that other DEs in the league are better than Peppers. Even if Peppers was head and shoulders above other DEs, he doesn't demand near the preperation of some offensive players.
Agreed. As good as Peppers is, I have seen him dissappear and be a complete non-factor in games before. That is never the case with Payton Manning or LT.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 AM    (permalink
I'mAHustler
Veteran

I'mAHustler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodar21 View Post
First three years:

Willi Smith has 149 tackles, 26.5 sacks, 11 forced fumbles and 9 passes deflected.

Julius Peppers has 143 tackles, 30 sacks, 12 forced fumbles and 14 passes deflected.

Not a huge difference. Plus Smith wasn't starting his rookie season.
Your ignorance may be your only saving grace as it is not possible for a person to watch both players to compare their athletic talents and honestly say Will Smith deserves a cough besides Julius Peppers name being mentioned.

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...
I'mAHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Peppers is so overrated and is a prime example of fans falling in love with measurables. If he played up to the caliber of his athleticism than he would be a beast, but he simply doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Peppers is so overrated and is a prime example of fans falling in love with measurables. If he played up to the caliber of his athleticism than he would be a beast, but he simply doesn't.
Thats my main issue with him. He should be better than he is. If he doesn't work on that technique, he'll have a poor 2nd half of his career when that athleticism starts to fade.

I think most people here base their opinions on how great he is in Madden. I seriously do. I remember last offseason people compared him to Reggie White. Smh....
Old 05-16-2007, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

peppers is a beast. he still the nummber one defensive end in my book. Osi has the benefit of Micheal Strahan on the other sidae and he can't get doubled as much. I still belive peppers is the best defensive player in the game as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1690 View Post
peppers is a beast. he still the nummber one defensive end in my book. Osi has the benefit of Micheal Strahan on the other sidae and he can't get doubled as much. I still belive peppers is the best defensive player in the game as of now.
No way. Urlacher is the best defensive player in the game hands down. I'd also put Champ Bailey ahead of Peppers.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
No way. Urlacher is the best defensive player in the game hands down. I'd also put Champ Bailey ahead of Peppers.
you could make a case for all three. But if i caould choose any defensive player right now to make a team, i would take Peppers. Peppers can straight take over the trenches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Id take Shawne Merriman, if he can sustain his dominance after being off roids.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Peppers is so overrated and is a prime example of fans falling in love with measurables.
You could say the same thing about Giants fans and Osi.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1690 View Post
you could make a case for all three. But if i caould choose any defensive player right now to make a team, i would take Peppers. Peppers can straight take over the trenches.
He also straight dissapears from his share of games. Something Urlacher never does. And when Bailey disspears from a game, it actually can be considered a good thing.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mAHustler View Post
Your ignorance may be your only saving grace as it is not possible for a person to watch both players to compare their athletic talents and honestly say Will Smith deserves a cough besides Julius Peppers name being mentioned.
It would do you well to actually read this thread before responding. I was merely using the same sort of statistics that the previous poster had used. Its time for you to calm down and read.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Osi-NYG
SMith- Alum of tOSU

so obvi-Smith
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
You could say the same thing about Giants fans and Osi.
Not true. Osi's measurables really aren't anything to write home about, they are above average, yes, but nothing close to that of Peppers. Osi gets the most out of his size/speed/strength but Peppers doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take Umenyiora. And I'll just ignore all of this talk of Osi being better than Peppers.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Id take Shawne Merriman, if he can sustain his dominance after being off roids.
I would have to agree. When you are getting compared to LT(The real LT) then you are a force to be reckoned with.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea like BBD said, if Merriman can improve coverage wise he can go down as a all time great.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Smith

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
His measurables weren't all that rediculously amazing considering he plays faster and stronger than he has been recorded at on paper. If you watched him play for more than one or two games a season you'd know that.

He's got the ability to take over a game and has done so in the past. He sees a double team on every play, if he's not double teamed he's chipped at the line or he's held, every play he's one on one and the lineman doesn't decide to cheat he's reaching the quarterback.

You might not know this, but every officiating crew in the NFL has a brief written about them, so that coaches can instruct their players on certain things, like "these guys aren't big on holding penalties" or "these guys never miss a false start" so they know when they can hold or not, more often than not, when a refereeing crew is known to allowing holding Peppers just about gets bear hugged. I take notes when I watch games, because I write for panthershuddle. When I do, about half the snaps I watch Peppers, almost all of them will have a h, or a dt, for holding or double team.

Osi rarely sees the double team, same with Will Smith because of the players they have on their other side and the fact that they're on the weak side.

Face it, what we're comparing here, is a player who's given 100% of the offensive protection schemes attention during games because he's so damn good and the player on his other side is around the league average and two guys who've got better defensive ends on the other end of their defensive line and see a lot less double team blocks...

Peppers has better stats than them both despite receiving the attention he does and being on the other side, the more watched and schemed for side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Thats my main issue with him. He should be better than he is. If he doesn't work on that technique, he'll have a poor 2nd half of his career when that athleticism starts to fade.
I think most people here base their opinions on how great he is in Madden. I seriously do. I remember last offseason people compared him to Reggie White. Smh....
See the above, he does play up to his athleticism he flat out takes over games, did you happen to see carolina vs cleveland last year? Or his performance against Minnesota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Yea like BBD said, if Merriman can improve coverage wise he can go down as a all time great.
If he decides to stop using anabolic steroids.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i see Merriman as almost like Bonds(definately not that much and not really comparing,just hear me out) Merriman has obvious talent, i dont like the guy but admit it. Bonds had some talent(not as much as Shawne) but still some talent in Pit. But then he broke records, but the steroids cloud puts an * next to his name. I feel the same thing will happen to Shawne.

oh, and he's not the next LT at all. LT changed the game of football and is the best defensive player of all time
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote