Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default '08 draft discussion

I know it's way too early, but it would be interesting to see what you guys think about our needs and who we may possibly take.

I will rank our needs thusly
1. OT - Unless Koets, Whimper or Deihl really step up.
2. FS - We have a very young defense, Demps will be aging soon.
3. DT - Our run defense will suffer in this system. A big runstuffer will be needed to join Cofield and Alford as our DTs of the future.
4. Kicker - I'm worried about the kicking situation this year.

Quick Mock -
1. Sam Baker - OT - Quick feet, very athletic.
2. BJ Raji - 6'1" 340 lbs. - NT - Big runstuffer out of BC.
3. Quinton Demps - FS (not sure if he is related to will) Great size, made lots of plays at UTEP.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't believe Quintin Demps is related to Will Demps. Will Demps had a brother who was draft eligible in either 06 or 05. Can't remember. He wasn't drafted but might have been brought into a training camp. He didn't make the cut though.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming that Diehl plays ok at Tackle, I think that we should probably look for a Safety first or second round.

but its way too early. who knows how Jacobs plays, our corners play, how Kiwi works at SAM, etc
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Assuming that Diehl plays ok at Tackle, I think that we should probably look for a Safety first or second round.

but its way too early. who knows how Jacobs plays, our corners play, how Kiwi works at SAM, etc
Kenny Phillips would be nice, but he won't be around by the 32nd pick. :)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to have Sam Baker or Jake Long, but two elite Tackles in the Draft may not allow us to get one, assuming we have a good season.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Way too early for this kind of stuff. We don't know who will get injured next year, where we will finish, who will surprise. And the college players have to play yet too.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
Way too early for this kind of stuff. We don't know who will get injured next year, where we will finish, who will surprise. And the college players have to play yet too.

I am not so sure; you can easily aniticipate some of our needs; in any case it doesn't hurt to speculate

You should also consider the players we will likely lose:

Gibril Wilson, Kawika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor will very likely leave in free agency.

The Giants could easily have locked up Gibril with a higher tender; even the top tender is substantially less than market value. Gibril will get at least as much as Michael Lewis (six-year, $30 million, $10 million signing bonus) next year in free agency. I don't think Jerry Reese is willing to pay that for Gibril (otherwise we could have done a contract extention)

I expect that we will move Demps to SS and draft a ball hawk FS

It interesting to me that we have brought in both Steve Spagnuolo and Marc Ross; both have worked on strong secondaries whose teams have drafted guys like: Lito Shepard, Michael Lewis, Ashton Youbotoy, Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson in recent years.

Amani Toomer, Michael Strahan and Sam Madison are likely playing their last season. How does their departure affect the Giants needs?
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Strahan's departure won't effect us in the long term. We have his replacements in house in Kiwanuka if necessary, or if Tuck can stay healthy, he can replace Strahan as LE.

Toomer's replacement has been drafted in Steve Smith already, so his retirement doesn't effect us.

Sam Madison, his loss has been taken care of with Ross. Now, of course, we still need to patch up the rest of the secondary, which Im sure will be done in this upcoming draft.

We don't know our needs yet. If Wilkinson doesnt pan out, WILL may be a need, who knows. Its far too early to tell.

The only need that I saw on our team that had no potential in house replacement in place was FS. That is the only true "need" position we have. So for now, thats what Im looking at.

Of course theres other needs, but at least theres hope for an in house candidate to come through for us. Theres hope for Whimper, hope for Kiwi and Wilkinson, hope for Alford, hope for Ross/Underwood/Dockery/Webster (yeah right), hope for Jacobs/Droughns, hope for Smith etc.

FS is the only position where I see no one on the depth chart that can provide hope as a ballhawk.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

My top 10 players for the Giants in next year’s draft. Needs I focused on include LT, DB, D-line.

1. Kenny Phillips FS – We are missing a stud at FS. Mixture or Reed and Taylor. 6’2” 200 lbs. Good pass and run defender.

2. Calais Campbell DE – Hear me out on this one. Strahan will be retiring soon, Kiwi is a LB now, I can’t see Tuck as a starter. Campbell is a freak and too good to pass up.

3. Jake Long LT – Good at both pass and run blocking. A lot depends on how Diehl / Whimper play. Who knows, maybe we’ll need a LG rather than an LT.

4. James Lauranitis LB – If he is around when we pick, he’s a must get. He’s an absolute complete player IMO.

5. Sam Baker LT – Athletic LT, second to only Long in the draft.

6. Glenn Dorsey DT – We have only two DTs that fit Spag’s system and they are Cofield and Alford. If you recall, Philly took Bunkley and Patterson in consecutive years. The D-line and its’ depth are vital for this system to work.

7. Sedrick Ellis DT – Like Dorsey, Ellis is quick and can play that Clancy type of NT. Very, very talented athlete at 6’1” 300 out of USC

8. Barry Richardson LT – Massive LT 6’7” 340. very agile for his size.

9. Ryan Clady LT – two words; dancing bear.

10. Brandon Flowers CB – very quick, but undersized corner. Sticks to receiver like glue and has a nose for the ball.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:26 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice top 10 list, Ricky Bobby. I can see the reasoning behind the Defensive End pick, but from the sounds of it, Kiwanuka may not be permanently attacthed to the linebacker posisition. I think we wanted to try the experiment of him being there, and if it works, and we need to replace Strahan, and then we can put him on the line and use him in a Jason Taylor role instead.

As for Lauranitis, do you mean make him an outside linebacker at the WILL posistion? I could see him doing well there, personally. Lauranitis, Pierce and Zak DeOssie would be a pretty sweet tandem.

Personally, I'm hoping for Sam Baker. It think he's a better tackle than Jake Long. He plays better pass protection, and is still a good run blocker. Either way, we'll come away happy if we get one of those guys.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
My top 10 players for the Giants in next year’s draft. Needs I focused on include LT, DB, D-line.

1. Kenny Phillips FS – We are missing a stud at FS. Mixture or Reed and Taylor. 6’2” 200 lbs. Good pass and run defender.

2. Calais Campbell DE – Hear me out on this one. Strahan will be retiring soon, Kiwi is a LB now, I can’t see Tuck as a starter. Campbell is a freak and too good to pass up.

3. Jake Long LT – Good at both pass and run blocking. A lot depends on how Diehl / Whimper play. Who knows, maybe we’ll need a LG rather than an LT.

4. James Lauranitis LB – If he is around when we pick, he’s a must get. He’s an absolute complete player IMO.

5. Sam Baker LT – Athletic LT, second to only Long in the draft.

6. Glenn Dorsey DT – We have only two DTs that fit Spag’s system and they are Cofield and Alford. If you recall, Philly took Bunkley and Patterson in consecutive years. The D-line and its’ depth are vital for this system to work.

7. Sedrick Ellis DT – Like Dorsey, Ellis is quick and can play that Clancy type of NT. Very, very talented athlete at 6’1” 300 out of USC

8. Barry Richardson LT – Massive LT 6’7” 340. very agile for his size.

9. Ryan Clady LT – two words; dancing bear.

10. Brandon Flowers CB – very quick, but undersized corner. Sticks to receiver like glue and has a nose for the ball.
great job and I completly agree w/ the Camble part(would love to have him although he won't be there at 25-32 :))

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see us drafting a LB early next year.

The front office are pretty confident that Kiwanuka can get the job done at LB. If he can, the job is his.

But even if he moves back to DE and both Kawika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor leave via free agency, LB is not a major need.

Gerris Wilkinson could easily win the starting WLB spot this year; plus we have Zak DeOssie at SLB plus Antonio Pierce and Chase Blackburn. All of these guys have at least two more years on their contracts.

We are likely to use a variant of the Eagles system. They don't use flashy linebacker; their D-Line and secondary are much higher priorities. Combined with the traditional Giants history of drafting Linebackers in mid-late rounds, even if Linebacker is a need next year we are likely to draft one in the mid rounds at best.

I also wouldn't rule out Wide Reciever.

Amani Toomer (6-3, 203) is likely one and Burress (6-5, 232) will be 31 before the 2008 season. Unless Brandon London (6-4, 210) or Anthony Mix (6-5, 235) make the roster, we could (other than Burress) seriously lack height next season with David Tyree (6-0, 206) Sinorice Moss (5-8, 185) and Steve Smith (5-11, 197).

Both Moss and Smith are talented youngsters (and they will contribute); neither are likely to be true #1 recievers. They both certainly lack the height and size that NFL teams covet for their top recievers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Reese added some bigger targets for Eli (and develop behind Plaxico); particularly with bigger recievers potentially available like:

Limas Sweed, Texas, 6-5, 218, 4.63
DJ Hall, Alabama, 6-3, 190, 4.48
Andre Caldwell, Florida, 6-1, 198, 4.43

Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma 6-4, 218, 4.54 Jr
Jaison Williams, Oregon, 6-4, 243, 4.65 Jr
Mario Urrutia, Louisville, 6-6, 225, 4.64 Jr
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I don't see us drafting a LB early next year.

The front office are pretty confident that Kiwanuka can get the job done at LB. If he can, the job is his.

But even if he moves back to DE and both Kawika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor leave via free agency, LB is not a major need.

Gerris Wilkinson could easily win the starting WLB spot this year; plus we have Zak DeOssie at SLB plus Antonio Pierce and Chase Blackburn. All of these guys have at least two more years on their contracts.

We are likely to use a variant of the Eagles system. They don't use flashy linebacker; their D-Line and secondary are much higher priorities. Combined with the traditional Giants history of drafting Linebackers in mid-late rounds, even if Linebacker is a need next year we are likely to draft one in the mid rounds at best.

I also wouldn't rule out Wide Reciever.

Amani Toomer (6-3, 203) is likely one and Burress (6-5, 232) will be 31 before the 2008 season. Unless Brandon London (6-4, 210) or Anthony Mix (6-5, 235) make the roster, we could (other than Burress) seriously lack height next season with David Tyree (6-0, 206) Sinorice Moss (5-8, 185) and Steve Smith (5-11, 197).

Both Moss and Smith are talented youngsters (and they will contribute); neither are likely to be true #1 recievers. They both certainly lack the height and size that NFL teams covet for their top recievers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Reese added some bigger targets for Eli (and develop behind Plaxico); particularly with bigger recievers potentially available like:

Limas Sweed, Texas, 6-5, 218, 4.63
DJ Hall, Alabama, 6-3, 190, 4.48
Andre Caldwell, Florida, 6-1, 198, 4.43

Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma 6-4, 218, 4.54 Jr
Jaison Williams, Oregon, 6-4, 243, 4.65 Jr
Mario Urrutia, Louisville, 6-6, 225, 4.64 Jr
It's not that LB is a big need. I'm just a huge Lauranitis fan.

As for the second part, you sir have more balls than me. I was considering sticking Malcom Kelly in there, but I assumed I'd take a ton of heat, seeing how we did take 2 WRs in round 2 in consecutive years. I absolutely agree. I don't think that Smith can be a #1 and we will need to replace Burress in a couple of years. I think it can wait another year though.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming that Jacobs does allrite and that we resolve the LT position (through Schaffer, Diehl, or w/e), we got to go Defense.

Personally I think FS is the biggest need.

I am not sold on Gerris Wilkinson. I just dont think he is capable of being anything more then an adaquete LB for a couple years, and thats not what i want. I would like to get a LB in the first 2 rounds.

CB is kind of a need, but we have a lot of young guys so who really knows? Plus I would rather just sign a free agent CB