Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default Paul Oliver/ any chance?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...earlylook.html

Scott has him on his list for top ten seniors that would have potentially had great seasons next year, the only problem is ESPN is reporting Oliver is academically ineligible for the upcoming season and will enter the supplemental draft this summer.

Im not sure how the supplemental draft actually works or if the cowboys even have an opportunity to choose a player in it, but maybe all hope is not lost for taking a CB with great potential this year after all.

Any chance at us grabbing this guy?

It is worth noting that Oliver is one of the few who actually contained calvin johnson last year holding him to 2 catches for 13 yards.

Last edited by Burns336 : 05-17-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

No. Don't waste a pick for next year. We already have our CB project with potential, Courtney Brown. The supplemental draft takes whatever pick you spend on the player (1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever round), and takes that pick from you in next year's real draft.

Last edited by Achilles33 : 05-17-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
He need a RB and WR next year, not a CB. Courtney Brown, remember the name.
Well actually this is for the supplemental draft this summer, but I appreciate a pathetic effort by you to derail my thread. Now crawl back into your cave and dont come out until you have permission.

Id rather add to the competition at CB instead of shying away from it. This is a player who's early projection was to be in the first round of the '08 draft. If we could bring a guy like this in to battle with some 7th rounders, I think you might be the only person who has a problem with that.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Refresh the page, I edited it, I didn't read the supplemental draft part.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
ThaU4Life

This guy is a great player, no question i'de offer our 2nd rounder for him, at 6' 200lbs, rumor is he can run a 4.3 40.He possibly would be the 1st CB selected in next years draft.(atleast top 3)
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No. Don't waste a pick for next year. We already have our CB project with potential, Courtney Brown. The supplemental draft takes whatever pick you spend on the player (1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever round), and takes that pick from you in next year's real draft.
Well he apprently has first round talent, why wait till next year to grab that?

I mean according to your theory, we are going to win the SB this year no questions asked, so why not give up the 32nd pick in the first round to take a flyer on this guy. We would still have that potentially high browns draft pick for someone else early?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Refresh the page, I edited it, I didn't read the supplemental draft part.
Maybe you'll learn a lesson from that and read post's all the way through next time before you try to argue with someone.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

from yahoo sports .... "Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia Oliver is an ideal-sized defender who combines terrific man coverage and ball skills. He was tempted to declare early, but his decision to return for a senior campaign should pay off with him being the top-rated senior cornerback. He has the ability to turn and run with most receivers, and his long arms and height (6 feet) keep taller receivers from being able to push him around or out-jump him."

from Sporting news...

"Cornerback

1. Antoine Cason, Arizona
2. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
3. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
4. Aqib Talib, Kansas
5. Paul Oliver, Georgia

The breakdown: How good is this group? All five guys have NFL first-round potential. Jenkins and Oliver are big, physical cover guys who can run, and Cason is the complete package: lock-down coverage, strong run support."

and finally Todd McShay's Top 10 for next year

"6. Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
Oliver is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2008 class right now. This 6-foot, 205-pound cornerback impressed me with his improved coverage skills during the second half of the 2006 season, including a tremendous effort versus former Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson (Lions, No. 2 overall). Don't be surprised if Oliver emerges as a top-10 pick a year from now."

The one thing that sticks out to me is that everyone mentions his physical style of play which is crucial for CB's in the Phillips 3-4 because of the jam and rerouting that is required of them at the line.

This could be a guy who would actually fit in quite nicely with this particular defense, that being said, i doubt we even take a look at this guy. :(
Old 05-17-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Bengals only gave up a 3rd for Ahmad Brooks. If it would mean just losing a 3rd I would definitely be for that.

With that said I don't think it would be very likely that we take him.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:53 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think you get serious discount in the Supplemental to actual talent received. 2nd or 3rd, sure. First no.

Ahmad Brooks is a great example. First round talent no doubt but slipped to the third and if not for the Team Jail Time I think he would have kept going to the 4th or 5th.

I can see academically ineligible freshmen or sophmore but Junior? Common dog you really gotta be a jerk-off to fail after riding that bike for 3 years.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CJ only have 2 for 13 yards against him. Bad grades is not a issue to me. I will use a 5th and even a 4th to get him
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd risk a third.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX View Post
I'd risk a third.
I don't see a discount if we use a third.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Funny because last year I was a little surprised we did not take Ahmad Brooks in the Sup. He was an Al Groh guy so Parcells definately has the in there. Come to think of it maybe that is why we did not take him. He was a Parcells prototype ILB 6'4 260.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 05-18-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'd be worth using a 3rd for sure. A second or first is a bit risky for a guy that might have enough off the field issues to make him un-reliable.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

I'd definately use a 3rd, and I would consider a 2nd, but only because we have 2 firsts next year anyways.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
mat33
Rookie

mat33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Everyone was begging for a DB early in this years draft, I don't get why anyone would object to spending a 2nd rounder on a player of his quality. And as Burns336 states we would still have 2 1st rounders next year.
mat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

reigle9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think there's virtually no chance we could get him even if we wanted to. Our pick is too deep, one of the first two groups would grab him before us.
reigle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
He'd be worth using a 3rd for sure. A second or first is a bit risky for a guy that might have enough off the field issues to make him un-reliable.
Yeah, he actually hasn't had any off the field issues such as drugs or arrests. He somehow managed to get grades so bad in a football friendly school that they deemed him ineligible.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would just like to say...he is getting so hyped from shutting down Calvin...but he also got lit up by Mecheam. seven passes for 98 yards and a TD. But than he shut down Sidney Rice too.

No doubting his talent. His football field intellegence and ability to breakdown a playbook scare me. College isn't that hard for a top football player...but if he has the instincts to play that is more important.

As far as likeliness to happen I don't see it. Todd Archer says it best..the Cowboys won't take Oliver in the supplemental draft. He thinks they value their picks too much to give up an early one in next year's draft.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I would just like to say...he is getting so hyped from shutting down Calvin...but he also got lit up by Mecheam. seven passes for 98 yards and a TD. But than he shut down Sidney Rice too.

No doubting his talent. His football field intellegence and ability to breakdown a playbook scare me. College isn't that hard for a top football player...but if he has the instincts to play that is more important.

As far as likeliness to happen I don't see it. Todd Archer says it best..the Cowboys won't take Oliver in the supplemental draft. He thinks they value their picks too much to give up an early one in next year's draft.
I guess I don't understand this.

If the guy is certainly a first rounder, why not get him a year early?! I just don't understand the comment, "they value their picks too much to give up an early one..." If your scouts think this guy is a first rounder then freaking take the guy. Plus, you get the added benefit of getting him a year early.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I guess I don't understand this.

If the guy is certainly a first rounder, why not get him a year early?! I just don't understand the comment, "they value their picks too much to give up an early one..." If your scouts think this guy is a first rounder then freaking take the guy. Plus, you get the added benefit of getting him a year early.
I agree that Archer's line of reasoning (if it reflects Valley Ranch's) is stupid.

Why would you not use a 3rd rounder next year to get a player who is arguably would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year?

Why not get him one year younger to teach him faster?

Rather have a dollar today than a dollar a year from now.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat33 View Post
Everyone was begging for a DB early in this years draft, I don't get why anyone would object to spending a 2nd rounder on a player of his quality. And as Burns336 states we would still have 2 1st rounders next year.

You do have to be real concerned over a guy who passed up the draft in 2007 to stay in school who then proceeds to flunk taking a Sociology/PE/Ethnic Studies Major.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say third round (i dont think he would be available anyway), you have to do it.

Second round...makes me a little nervous. I would still do it, though.

No way on the first round.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want this guy! I say we do it for a second round pick! Easy. We'll probably be picking at the end of the second round, so hell ya!

We passed on Eric Wright this year and I don't think Wright is as good. Heck... we've wasted 2nd rounders before... At least this would be interesting. :D

D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote