Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 05-19-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Building Good Character

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10175316

Time for a positive story to counteract all the negative ones out there.

Next weekend, Vikings third-round draft pick Marcus McCauley, the former Fresno State standout cornerback, will become the first person in his family to earn a college degree.

He will graduate from Fresno State on May 19 with his degree in sociology.

McCauley actually finished the requirements for graduation in December 2006, when in his final semester his grade-point average was a perfect 4.0.

The Vikings knew they drafted a good cornerback; they're also getting a good person.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_o...ward51707.html

Vikings linebacker and special teams standout Jason Glenn has been selected to receive the 2007 NFL Continuing Education Program Recognition Award and will be honored at the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics (N4A) Annual Convention in June. This honor is bestowed upon an individual who has displayed commitment and dedication to completing his degree while playing professional football.

It's great to see that we are finally getting recognized for having good character, instead of bad.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Now if we could only get good charcter guys who can actually play lol
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think McCauley will be good for us and Glenn is very good on special teams.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IF McCauley goes back to his Junior form we got someone who can definatly play
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really think McCauley has a chance to make a real impact early.
He was the pick I was happiest about...and I have big expectations for him.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
the_Kid
Rookie

the_Kid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
It's great to see that we are finally getting recognized for having good character, instead of bad.
its about time lol
the_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

From top to bottom i really think all our picks are decent charcter players with all the BS the bengals and falcons are going thru Im just glad to see the heat on someone elses burner for a while.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, it's good to see that. McCauley and Griffin might be the same kind of cornerback, but they are complete opposites. I don't know why I brought Griffin up, but I just thought I'd do it.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

McCauley will be a steal if he plays like he did as a junior. He's first round talent in the 3rd round. Just think of Winfield and Griffin complemented by McCauley. Our big weakness was nickle and dime coverage (see Patriots game) and I think he'll improve it vastly. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. If things fall in place we could have a good year.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Fred Smoot was just fine as a nickel , CB's were not the problem ...it was lack of a pass rush, Champ Bailey would look like Rufus Bess with our "pass rush"...so please stop thinking a 3rd round kid with upside is instantly better than a seasoned vet like Smoot.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Severe needs to stop reading the BS press and open his eyes, Not getting sacks isnt always lack of pass rush, Again I will spell this out to you when you stop the run as well as minnesota you are bound to surrender more yds due to teams abandoning the run, MORE ATTEMPTS = MORE YDS IN 3 step offenses sacks are virtually impossible!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Ego View Post
Severe needs to stop reading the BS press and open his eyes, Not getting sacks isnt always lack of pass rush, Again I will spell this out to you when you stop the run as well as minnesota you are bound to surrender more yds due to teams abandoning the run, MORE ATTEMPTS = MORE YDS IN 3 step offenses sacks are virtually impossible!!!!!!!!!
Attention disph!t, in a Tampa 2 you don't blitz. Pressure comes from the
line , which in turn allows 7 guys to fall back into coverage...limiting lanes and increasing the chance of a ball being deflected or picked.

The Vikings got how many sacks last year from their line ??? It was the 2nd worst in the league. To suggesting anything other than what I've stated all along is nothing more than a grandstanding bofoon.

..which would be you.

and as far as "no team ran against us"...might wanna take a peek at the St.Louis game one more time. They ran, threw and did anything they wanted against the D. So spare us the mythical belief that this team is the 85 bears against the run.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:01 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

First off there is no such thing as the Tampa 2, that is a term dubbed by the media for a cover 2 base defense. Second Had you done your home work you would find on the contrary our line backers lead our team in sacks, and that Pat Kenechi and Kevin all three only combined for around 6 sacks, Third I wish you were running the bears cover 2 because Urlacher gets a but load of sacks for a linebacker who doesnt blitz. So Simpleton stop listening to the media and start trying to understand what your eyes see. The Cover 2 base defense simply implies that both saftys split the field It has nothing to do with linebackers not blitzing, They can and in fact do blitz while still running the cover two this defense usually puts the corners in man coverage the saftys still cover deep and they simply blitz anyone whos man stayed in to block freeing up players, they also run things called zone blitz from the cover 2 this is where linemen drop back while linebackers blitz, So Again you have let your mouth write a check your ass cant cash.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

I dont remember comparing our defense to the 85 bears, Our defense was statistically better then the 85 bears for the better part of the year.
By saying what the rams did in the last part of the year is like taking what we did to Rex Grossman where he finished the game with a qb rating under 20 and making that the textbook game,
Im starting to agree with everyone else you are an Idiot with little or no substance to add to any conversation other then general pestimism that has little or no factual stability. You are quick to point out the short comings of the team but very slow to accept the strengths, I believe at some point you have claimed to be a coach. If you are indeed a coach I do hope you approach that in a diffrent manner then you do here.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Ego
First off there is no such thing as the Tampa 2, that is a term dubbed by the media for a cover 2 base defense.
Actually there is such a thing as the Tampa 2, it wasn't dubbed by the media its a modified version of the Cover 2 that is more effective, and its called Tampa 2 because Tony Dungy made it famous while he was with the Tampa Bay Bucaneers.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Tony Dungee ran the exact same defense in minnesota before he ever went to Tampa, The cover 2 was being ran in the 70's by teams like the rams and the vikings, Tony Dungee did absolutely nothing to the defense other then call the plays, I realize the press would really love for you to believe that Tony Dungee their Choir boy of black head caoches had intivated some brand new defense but in reality he didn't,

Tony Dungee is a great guy he is a very good coach and he was a pretty good player, But seriously folks he isnt Buddy Ryan or Dom Capers, he was simply a pretty good coach who mastered the play calling of one of the oldest least complex defenses of all time, And truth be told Lovie Smith prolly calls a better game then Dungee, If you want innovators of defense please research Buddy Ryan Dom Capers or even Bum Phillips but dont confuse imitation with Intovation
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

jerthemessiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Bears blitz all the time. It's really up to the teams DC and the teams personel as to weather or not u blitz in a cover 2. The new DC says we will be blitzing more so we will wait and see. Just because it's a "cover 2 scheme" doesn't mean you play zone every play.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Applauds jerthemessiah!!!!! Finally someone else who has a freaking clue.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Fred Smoot was just fine as a nickel , CB's were not the problem
Uh, I don't know what games you were watching, but Smoot was the opposite of "just fine".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
...it was lack of a pass rush, Champ Bailey would look like Rufus Bess with our "pass rush"...so please stop thinking a 3rd round kid with upside is instantly better than a seasoned vet like Smoot.
I'm not saying he's instantly better than Smoot, but Smoot played like garbage last year. Yes, our pass rush was pitiful, but when teams throw the ball the entire game, its not easy to stop. I thought our secondary wasn't that bad (apart from Smoot). Since you seem so willing to defend Smoot, why was he replaced by a 2nd round rookie CB? If he was such a seasoned vet, there would be no need to replace him. I don't see how its so illogical to assume that McCauley can't come in and play like a first round pick. Obviously there is an "if" factor, of if he can return to his junior season's form, but its not that far out.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

First off id like to again point out we dont need great corners to play the cover 2, they have help on virtually every snap, So over paying smoot who was less then average and doesnt like to tackle an essential part of the cover 2, not to mention the last time i checked the idea of the cover to is to limit the amount of plays where extra dbs are on the field in the first freaking place makes paying a third corner who makes starter money a Smoot point. lol sorry couldnt resist. Again proving that if we could only buy you for what your worth and sell you for what you think your worth then we would all have smoot like signing bonus's.