Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 05-20-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Alex Brown

I read at warpaint the chiefs might be talking trade with the bears for him?has anyone else heard this?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm, I wonder what they'd have to give up for him, and I wonder if Jared Allen would be a part of that deal?
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the plan is if they get Brown to keep Allen for the year and then let him walk.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't this guy have a massive salary? Or am I thinking of the other Defensive End. At first I Thought that'd be a sweet trade, JA and a draft pick for Brown...but here's what warpaint's guy thinks about it.

Fans understandably jumped all over the possibility of Kansas City acquiring Brown like starving dogs. After all, the Chiefs’ major weakness on defense last year was a lack of pass rush, and considering Jared Allen’s looming suspension, bringing in Brown might be the ideal solution to both problems.

Now don’t get me wrong – Brown is a solid player. He’s no Eric Hicks, and his experience in Chicago’s Cover 2 system makes him an ideal fit to replace Allen during the first four games of 2006.

But I believe that’s all he should be doing. I wouldn’t view the guy as a long-term replacement for Allen, who is a far more talented and versatile defensive end.

If the Chiefs get Brown, I think they’d be wise to view it as no more than a move to increase their depth at defensive end. Other than corner, it’s probably the thinnest position on that defense, with only Allen and Tamba Hali as viable players. Jimmy Wilkerson really hasn’t shown much and the Chiefs drafted Turk McBride to play some snaps outside.

At 6-foot-3 and 260 pounds, Brown would be a liability against the run. Allen started out as a liability in run defense early in his NFL career, but improved his strength in the weight room and worked hard on his technique to become a very solid run defender last year, when he posted 11 tackles for loss.

Brown also doesn’t have Allen’s massive wingspan, which has been a key factor in the amount of fumbles Allen has posted the last few years.

But here’s what really sends up red flags. The evolution of Chicago’s defense started when they drafted Pro-Bowl defensive tackle Tommie Harris in 2004. The Bears grabbed Harris with their first-round selection that year, brought in Lovie Smith and immediately jumped from 22nd in scoring defense to 13th.

That’s when Alex Brown started playing better, too. And when Harris went down with a torn hamstring near the end of the 2006 regular season, Brown’s play dropped off. Brown had only one sack over the season’s last four games, and in the playoffs and Super Bowl had just one sack in three games. That’s two sacks in seven games. Not good.

The Chiefs don’t have a player of Harris’ ability in the middle of their defensive line. They certainly need one, and maybe McBride or Tank Tyler can give them that presence, but it won’t happen this year.

Even listening to Bears fans talk about Brown gives me caution. They describe him with sentences like “slightly better than average,” and “went long stretches of games where he was invisible.”

And the Bears themselves don’t seem all that enamored with signing him to a long-term contract. Rookie Mark Anderson burst onto the scene last year with 12 sacks, and according to a radio report Friday, in mini-camp Brown was running with the second team while Anderson was starting at right defensive end.

And of course the Bears did draft a defensive end (Central Michigan’s Dan Bazuin) in the second round this offseason. Bye, Alex!

Let’s hope the Chiefs don’t give up too much for him. I wanted Kansas City to acquire depth at defensive end this offseason (they let former Buccaneer defensive end Dewayne White go to Detroit without much interest), and Brown would definitely fit the bill, but let’s not view him as Allen’s long-term
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Brown isn't a liability against the run at all, don't be fooled by his size.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, I was thinking that the writer is a little biased towards Jared ALlen. Mr. Brown is a perennial pro-bowler. So to say he's a suspect player is a weird statement.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen is the better DE but the guy keeps hurting his team by his off the field stuff I would take Brown over him.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Yea, I was thinking that the writer is a little biased towards Jared ALlen. Mr. Brown is a perennial pro-bowler. So to say he's a suspect player is a weird statement.
He's a perennial pro-bowl alternate. But yes.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Jared Allen has put up pro bowl numbers the last two years but since voters only look at how many sacks a DE had and not his all around play he has yet to go. I wish Allen didn't have his off the field trouble he is a great player and only will get better but if you give him big money it is a big risk one more DUI and he could be the next pac man sitting out a season.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Jared Allen has put up pro bowl numbers the last two years but since voters only look at how many sacks a DE had and not his all around play he has yet to go. I wish Allen didn't have his off the field trouble he is a great player and only will get better but if you give him big money it is a big risk one more DUI and he could be the next pac man sitting out a season.
Voters make up a small % of the pro bowl selection process.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Then the question begs, why isn't JA in the Pro bowl rather than Alex Brown? I think it's because when you think "defense" the first thing that comes to mind is the Chicago bears, not the paper sack defense KC USED to have. So that makes JA overlooked by everyone.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Then the question begs, why isn't JA in the Pro bowl rather than Alex Brown? I think it's because when you think "defense" the first thing that comes to mind is the Chicago bears, not the paper sack defense KC USED to have. So that makes JA overlooked by everyone.
Da Bears play in the NFC so Brown going would not be keeping Allen out but I get what you are saying.