Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Nick Saban is a pile of garbage.

SABAN'S ARROGANCE

Sorry, this may turn your stomach!

By Steve Reeves
Assistant City Editor, Birmingham News
January 19, 2007 3:30AM

TUSCALOOSA | Alabama head football coach Nick Saban ontinues his whirl-wind courtship with the Crimson Tide faithful in person and on the air waves.

State-wide stable, Paul Finebaum ended his 13-year affiliation with WERC-AM this week with a three-hour call in show with Saban. Finebaum has agreed to a three-year contract with Citadel Broadcasting, which owns WJOX.

Finebaum's last show on WERC, Saban presented a confident, personable style, punctuated with good-natured barbs at Auburn, Mississippi State, and saving his strongest lines for his former employer, LSU.

Finebaum's show airs from 2-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and is also carried on about 20 other stations, mostly in Alabama, under the banner of the Paul Finebaum Radio Network.

Finebaum's show was previously heard in Tuscaloosa on WTBC 1230AM, where it will still be aired. Officials with WTBC did not return a phone call Friday.

"I'm sure the SEC hasn't changed much over the past two seasons. I mean Mississippi State is still funding scholarships by collecting pop bottles and aluminum cans along the highways," said Saban, half jokingly Friday afternoon. "Auburn, our motto --'Where most coaches are fired' -- is still
in effect."

"LSU was nothing before I arrived. Academically, athletically, physical plant, nothing. I made LSU. I was LSU. Their current success is solely due to my recruits. Coach Miles, while a fine man, does not fill my shoes, fit my desk, or cast a taller shadow. Our coaching staff is superior to anything in Baton Rouge. We will go into Louisiana an take each and every player we want. LSU will not, nor can not stop me. Mark my words."

Finebaum point blank asked Saban if those comments mean LSU is a bigger foe than Auburn, a team that has dominated the Crimson Tide in recent years.

"No. Auburn is in-state. They are consistently the best team in the West,which speaks to the talent in Alabama. As talent I recruited graduates from LSU, after this season, they will return to the loweer depths of this league."

When pressed about his initial comments about LSU "being special", Saban rejoined, "It was special. I won a title there. But LSU fans focus is on the pre-game party aspect. Winning the party is paramount there. Seven-win football and winning baseball will keep them happy."

Currently there is a controversy regarding Saban's comments about the staff at LSU to previously committed Tiger recruits. In visiting Curtis star Joe McKnight, Nick Saban has created a stir while visiting LSU commitments Phelon Jones, a cornerback from McGill-Toolen High in Mobile, Ala., and Luther Davis, a defensive end from West Monroe.

According to both prospects, Saban took credit for LSU's recent success as he signed most of the players involved in the Tigers' 22-4 run since he left.

Neither player agreed to take a visit to Alabama, though, and refused to de-commit from LSU.

"Great guy, but he is a little bit overconfident," Jones' father Tony is quoted as saying at Tigerbait.com.

Saban also got a no from Davis in West Monroe.

"He (Saban) was kind of mad that we turned down the visit and turned down the scholarship," Davis told Tigerbait.com. "He said that there is no way that the coaching staff at LSU can compare to the coaching staff we have at Alabama right now. He gave no credit to anyone."

"I don't think the LSU coaches are upset with Saban," according to Mike Scarborough of Tigerbait.com. "It probably just makes them very motivated to out-recruit him. I think they also think it's unbelievable some of the things he is saying about LSU.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's pretty funny actually.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its hilarious as well. Cant wait til November when we play him again. It will be a bloodbath.

Its also funny that he tried to get 2 guys to de-commit from LSU and they turned his sorry ass down.

Who Dat Nation!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No it's funny that he called the rest of the SEC out like that. I could really care less about any of the teams, but he did build LSU into a powerhouse when previously they were a decent team, but certainly not amongst the ranks of Auburn and Alabama. To say he's "sorry" is being bitter. Maybe he's bitter too...but at least he's funny.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

wow, he is an idiot. He should realize how obviously stupid and arrogant it is to make those comments. He really is just supporting those he hate him for the way he has performed/left every program he has worked at.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

To say LSU was nothing and will soon be nothing again is very funny. LSU will be a powerhouse for years to come. Miles is recruiting better than Saban ever did and coaching better than Saban ever did. Cant wait to tear his ass up when he comes back to Baton Rouge next season.

Who Dat Nation!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

I think it's pretty funny actually.

No it's funny that he called the rest of the SEC out like that. I could really care less about any of the teams, but he did build LSU into a powerhouse when previously they were a decent team, but certainly not amongst the ranks of Auburn and Alabama. To say he's "sorry" is being bitter. Maybe he's bitter too...but at least he's funny.
I totally agree.

I can't wait to watch some SEC football this year. It's going to be great.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan912 View Post

Currently there is a controversy regarding Saban's comments about the staff at LSU to previously committed Tiger recruits. In visiting Curtis star Joe McKnight, Nick Saban has created a stir while visiting LSU commitments Phelon Jones, a cornerback from McGill-Toolen High in Mobile, Ala., and Luther Davis, a defensive end from West Monroe.
Quote:
Neither player agreed to take a visit to Alabama, though, and refused to de-commit from LSU.
Luther faked going to a funeral and went and took a visit to Bama and some friends told some friends and it got back to Miles. Miles pulled Davis' scholarship when he found out that Luther lied to him and Davis then committed to Bama.

It's cool because we signed Sidell Correly (sp) after he decommitted from UF.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To say LSU was nothing and will soon be nothing again is very funny. LSU will be a powerhouse for years to come. Miles is recruiting better than Saban ever did and coaching better than Saban ever did. Cant wait to tear his ass up when he comes back to Baton Rouge next season.
I don't know about all of that. Miles right now is just recruiting off reputation. Reputation that Saban built. Saban is cocky but he is right. I actaully like the guy. His way or the highway. All the best coaches are like that. You guys probably will beat Alabama bad this year. But give it time when Saban gets all of his guys in there.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Florida State will work Alabama in Jacksonville.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
Florida State will work Alabama in Jacksonville.
We're gonna rip'em to shreds if XL gets more consistent+the job. If we got weathersuck, be prepared for a long season...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

who cares about SEC? Miami is where its at.
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
reese

he is very bold
Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
Sarcasm at it's best.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
Sarcasm at it's best.
Either that or just plain ignorance...

Who Dat Nation!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
I think LSU and their fans would argue otherwise.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

Yea since the dominance of UM has been unreal the past few years. Its not gonna get any better buddy, not with those recruiting classes and that coaching staff. What was the score 2 years ago in the Peach Bowl again?

Who Dat Nation!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Wow, thats really damn cocky. I think Saban's forgetting that he stepped into a program with a legitimate deal of talent. DiNardo could recruit but he was a horrible coach.

Saban may be in for a rude awakening. Auburn is in better shape than Alabama and LSU will want to rip them to shreds every time they play.

This isn't the first time hes talked trash like this on LSU, and I've heard rumors that most of it arises from the fact that he wanted to just walk back into Baton Rouge about half way through the NFL season and they turned him down. I'm not saying its true but I guess its something possible.

Regardless, I think he'll be gone in 3 or 4 years anyway so it won't even matter.

Saban is very overconfident. His teams at LSU consistently lost games they should've won (Alabama Birmingham comes to mind). Even when they won the national title in 2003 they lost a game they shouldn't have. Saban is not a very good coach. Hes only had one season with less than 3 losses.

I also like the part where he says he'll take whoever he wants out of Louisiana. I thought that was pretty funny.

Last edited by TigerBait45 : 05-20-2007 at 07:31 PM.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea since the dominance of UM has been unreal the past few years. Its not gonna get any better buddy, not with those recruiting classes and that coaching staff. What was the score 2 years ago in the Peach Bowl again?
When LSU gets to be consistently as dominant as Miami come talk. Our coach lost 15 games in 6 years (including 6 in one year) and was considered trash. We know we've been down the last 3 years. But when 9-3 is bad for LSU you can talk trash about Miami. And the new staff has been doing a great job, especially with recruiting.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

9-3 is rapidly becoming a bad year. If Miles keeps up his hellish pace on the recruiting trails we may be able to have this discussion pretty soon.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
When LSU gets to be consistently as dominant as Miami come talk. Our coach lost 15 games in 6 years (including 6 in one year) and was considered trash. We know we've been down the last 3 years. But when 9-3 is bad for LSU you can talk trash about Miami. And the new staff has been doing a great job, especially with recruiting.
9-3 is very bad for the talent LSU has. LSU is the most talented school in the country. At least neck and neck with USC. So can we now talk?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See this is why players get hurt.. Over confident coaches. I'm gonna enjoy seeing John Parker Wilson getting lit up all day this season. I can't wait for Les and boys to get their hands on Saban's Crimson Tide.. Saban is really ignorant and cocky. Okay you won ONE national championship. That's great, but don't disrespect other teams like that. I don't know what Saban's intentions were but he's gonna get his trap shut come the week Bama and LSU plays.

As for the Miami/LSU argument. As of right now! I'll take LSU but Miami has been more consistent over the years. It's all a matter of how you look at things. LSU is the Miami of today, with the talent and depth they got, they're gonna be good for a while. Miami is on a steady pace back on top, but right now LSU is the top dog.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Miami is 35-14 (.714) over the last four years. LSU is 44-8 (.846) in that same span. Miami's dominance in the early part of the century lasted for four years. LSU's is currently at four years and counting. Both teams have the same amount of wins since the 2000 season. Either Miami fans don't realize how good LSU has been lately or they are still living off of back to back National Championship appearances that happened five years ago. LSU has been consistantly as dominant as Miami has over the last 5-6 years. Sure, Miami had their nice little run in the late 80's/early 90's but that really has no effect on right now. LSU is currently the superior program. I can understand Miami's excitement and optimism for next season. I like Randy Shannon and thinks he's going to help right the ship. But hiring a new coach and pulling in the 18th ranked recruiting class isn't going to bring them back to being an elite program over night.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Either that or just plain ignorance...
Either that or 5 National Championships.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Do you have an idea how good we did in recruiting this year? With a first year Head Coach. Shannon has done a ridiculously good job of bringing people in after the firing of Coker and assuring them of Miami returning to dominance and down the right path to championship football. We had one of our better recruiting classes in the last couple years, even landing a 5 star prospect, after how lousy we were last season. Shannon has completely turned the program around already in his short time there and the return to dominance will be MUCH sooner rather than later, I can assure you of that!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote