Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

LarryJohnson27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Suprise Teams

What team do you feel could suprise everybody and make the playoffs this year? I expect most people to say teams like the 49ers, Cardinals, and Falcons, but I'm going to go a different route and say the Rams.

I liked the offseason additions of Brian Leonard, Randy McMichael, Dante Hall, Jonathan Wade, Adamn Carriker and Dustin Fry, and guys like Tye Hill and Claude Wroten will continue to develop and improve the defense. I also think the offense will improve and be more consistent, as I expect Steven Jackson to have a HUGE year on the ground, and in the passing game too. If Bulger can stay healthy, they have a shot at making the playoffs.
LarryJohnson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams, Giants, KC Chiefs
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
snobdmat
Veteran

snobdmat hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

you realize that both the chiefs and giants made the playoffs last year, so how would it surprise you if they made it again this year???

as for the question....titans and for the big surprise the bucs
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobdmat View Post
you realize that both the chiefs and giants made the playoffs last year, so how would it surprise you if they made it again this year???

as for the question....titans and for the big surprise the bucs
In GRF's defense the Chiefs and Giants aren't expected to do much this comming season. In fact, alot of posters on here mentioned the two in the "With the 1st overall pick in the 2008 draft the ________" thread. I see your point also though.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn my team has been the Rams. Theif.

Edit: You just said they'd have a "shot to make the playoffs". Real bold there.

The Rams will win the NFC West. Book it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ill go out on a limb and say the Bears and Cowboys could collapse for the NFC and in the AFC the Chargers could along with Baltimore

Chicago-I love the team but with little dependable runningback depth *behind Benson* and the possibility of a qb crisis this team can either be a prime contender or a complete flop. Another attribute that is in flux is the d-coordinator, will playing a more pure cover-2 help or hurt?

Cowboys-Similar to Bears, big qb questions with an aging receiving corps (bears are younger). Defense looks solid but time will tell, and most importantly offensive line questions.

Chargers-I dont see LT repeating what he did last year. Thats really my only reason, a good defense, and a promising qb lead the team, but i just highly doubt LT repeats his incredible year.

Baltimore-aging in many positions it might just catch up with them. Ray Lewis and co will miss Adalius Thomas more than they think.

As for promising.

Lions- Every friggin year i say they are promising, and like every other year I believe it. The only difference is that I believe in Rod Marinelli and Martz.

Cleveland- In the powerful AFC i see no jump start risers, but Cleveland is on the right track to become great. I like Quinn and their O-line. Good skill players besides runningback. A couple more pieces and I see this team becoming another great AFC team.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Texans will surprise by going 0-16. ;)
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams have been my West winner.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you think the loss of Rivera will be a big blow you aren't paying much attention to the Bears. He was the D coordinator in name only last year. That's not to say there aren't other reasons they could slip, but that isn't one of them.

Also, we had a QB crisis and won 13 games so I don't think that will be what brings us down. My two biggest concerns are RB depth as you mentioned and the potential loss of Briggs, who I view as more valuable than most.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No GB predictions so far? Fine I'll do it just to get things going a bit.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

cards are always picked as the surprise team, maybe this year since no one is really saying it we will actually do it

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have had the browns as a underdog team since the end of last year...after FA and the Draft this doesn't look as much of an underdog. But I only put them at making it above .500 anyways.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
No GB predictions so far? Fine I'll do it just to get things going a bit.
It all hinges on young players and how they develop. If a few of the young kids turn into the players they are capable of, Green Bay should make the playoffs.
If they don't, the Packers will be on the outside looking in again.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
It all hinges on young players and how they develop. If a few of the young kids turn into the players they are capable of, Green Bay should make the playoffs.
If they don't, the Packers will be on the outside looking in again.
Should implies that there is a much greater than 50% chance of making the playoffs.

The Colts should make the playoffs. The Packers could. It's an issue of semantics but an important one IMO.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
If you think the loss of Rivera will be a big blow you aren't paying much attention to the Bears. He was the D coordinator in name only last year. That's not to say there aren't other reasons they could slip, but that isn't one of them.

Also, we had a QB crisis and won 13 games so I don't think that will be what brings us down. My two biggest concerns are RB depth as you mentioned and the potential loss of Briggs, who I view as more valuable than most.
im just worried that Babich will make us play Cover 2 100% of the time. And notice i said potentially. Who knows with Grossman, and the rb depth has no starter capable guys besides Benson whos shown that he cant seem to stay healthy.

the Briggs situation bothers me only for locker room purposes, frankly i think hes a good player that has his stats inflated by the scheme and playing next to Urlacher. Not to say he isnt good, but I dont believe hes the be all end all.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My bold prediction: The Minnesota Vikings will win the NFC North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Should implies that there is a much greater than 50% chance of making the playoffs.

The Colts should make the playoffs. The Packers could. It's an issue of semantics but an important one IMO.
I said that IF some key young guys step up, THEN the Packers SHOULD make the playoffs. So, if their young guys develop like they hope, they should make the playoffs. If they don't, there's a slim-to-none chance the Packers make the playoffs.

If I was an oddsmaker, I'd put the Packers at about 50% chance of making the playoffs. I think the NFC North is going to see a big shake-up this year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of the teams in last place in the division.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Bengals will surprise people and either win the superbowl or come extremely close.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
If I was an oddsmaker, I'd put the Packers at about 50% chance of making the playoffs. I think the NFC North is going to see a big shake-up this year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of the teams in last place in the division.
No way in hell. The Packers are about a 20-25% chance of making the playoffs. Look it up. I realize that is your opinion but as an oddsmaker you would get robbed. I've seen the Packers anywhere from a 4/1 to 5/1 odds to make the playoffs. The over/under on wins is from 7 to 7 1/2. For comparison, the Bucs are 4/1 odds and the Falcons are 3/1 odds to win the NFC South. The Bears have the same odds to get back to the Superbowl.

As for all your hypotheticals, I think even if those things happen they are still at best a 50-60% chance to make it. Should implies that there is at least an 80-90% chance of something happening.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 05-20-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Packers will easily win the division next year.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
No way in hell. The Packers are about a 20% chance of making the playoffs. Look it up. I realize that is your opinion but as an oddsmaker you would get robbed.

As for all your hypotheticals, I think even if those things happen they are still at best a 50-60% chance to make it. Should implies that there is at least an 80-90% chance of something happening.
If Jennings plays even as good as he did pre-injury last season...

If Jackson/Morency establish a consistent running game...

If the young offensive line continues to improve...

The Packers should make the playoffs. I see no reason that they shouldn't.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

Quote:
No way in hell. The Packers are about a 20% chance of making the playoffs. Look it up. I realize that is your opinion but as an oddsmaker you would get robbed. I've seen the Packers anywhere from a 4/1 to 5/1 odds to make the playoffs. The over/under on wins is from 7 to 7 1/2.

I agree. The Bears will likely win the division, and with the Lions possibly suprising, it's hard to say the Packers have a 50% chance. I think the Packers will finsish 2nd in the division and just miss.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
If Jennings plays even as good as he did pre-injury last season...

If Jackson/Morency establish a consistent running game...

If the young offensive line continues to improve...

The Packers should make the playoffs. I see no reason that they shouldn't.
Cause there are 15 other teams and the Packers aren't exactly overwhelming with talent. For as diplomatic as some of us talk around here I think that people sometimes underestimate how big of a gap there still is between the Bears and everyone else in the North. There is the wild card, but there are only 2 of them, and 12 teams vying for them. I wouldn't take a 1/6 odds under any circumstance.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Rams, Giants, KC Chiefs
how the giants?
-downgrade at RB
-no LT that can replace Petitigout
-no DT yet that can hold it down
-Added Ross but he wont be able to make an impact as a starter right away on defense

plus Giants made it last year..wheres the suprise?

my suprise team? Redskins. Portis + Betts are a top duo..Campbell is developing nicely..Moss is gonna be healthy and have a good QB..Cooley is good. Their OL is underrated and has a lot of talent.

defensive line is the same but Carter improved by the end of season..they added Fletcher at MLB..Good depth with Marshall on bench playing backup outside and middle. Archuleta is gone..added Landry. Added Smoot who i think will do better in Washington than he did in the cover 2 at Minny. I see them being a wildcard in the NFC
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that the raiders might be a big surprise. Their line can block, they just need to be coached better.

With the additions they've made if at QB they can just manage the game they'll be competitive with that defense.

As for in the NFC, the Panthers will play strong if they're healthy. I also like the 49ers more and more every year.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote