Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
jonbrodo17
Rookie

jonbrodo17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Paul Oliver

I was reading another draft website's coverage on the Supplemental Draft. One of the main items is on Paul Oliver, a cornerback from Georiga who is "a steady cover corner that defends the run well and is excellent in coverage. He has great instincts and is a playmaker in the secondary." Should we try to get him in the supplamental draft? The article was written by Chris Steuber who is a main guy on the Philadelphia Eagles .com forums.

PM me for a link to the article if you want to read it.

sig by Jackalope

RIP VT Students 4/16/07

Vote McCain '08

Last edited by bsaza2358 : 05-22-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Eliminating advertising of other draft sites.
jonbrodo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbrodo17 View Post
I was reading a website (www.nfldraftpro.com) and the main item is on Paul Oliver, a cornerback from Georiga who is "a steady cover corner that defends the run well and is excellent in coverage. He has great instincts and is a playmaker in the secondary." should we try to get him in the supplamentary draft? The article was written by Chris Steuber who is a main guy on the Philadelphia Eagles .com forums.
With the situation the eagles are currently at as far as Corner goes the answer would be "yes" Considering William James will most likely bounce after the season to pursue his goal of being the best corner in the NFL. However, i think it is unlikely that they would be able to grab him, or would consider grabbing him. I would offer a second but i dont think that would land oliver (eagles being a playoff team and all).
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm editing your post to make sure we're not "advertising" other draft sites. This thread could get locked or deleted by the mods. Scott likes to be the only game in town on his forums.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we were to bid a second round pick we could probably get him, but I doubt we go after him. We've already got some young projects at CB in Barksdale and Hanson, Gaddis may even get some PT as a CB.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
If we were to bid a second round pick we could probably get him, but I doubt we go after him. We've already got some young projects at CB in Barksdale and Hanson, Gaddis may even get some PT as a CB.
Hanson aint that young, Lito is only 4 months older than he is.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
jonbrodo17
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I'm editing your post to make sure we're not "advertising" other draft sites. This thread could get locked or deleted by the mods. Scott likes to be the only game in town on his forums.

yea, ok i understand

sig by Jackalope

RIP VT Students 4/16/07

Vote McCain '08
Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Hanson aint that young, Lito is only 4 months older than he is.
25 is pretty young, and he's been in the league for only two years, thus I consider him a project.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't use a second rounder on him, when we could easily get one just as good or better in next year's draft. I doubt that the Eagles would do this anyway, but I wouldn't be too upset if they did.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 AM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I wouldn't use a second rounder on him, when we could easily get one just as good or better in next year's draft. I doubt that the Eagles would do this anyway, but I wouldn't be too upset if they did.
"we could easily get one just as good or better in next years draft"... the reason someone will give up a second for him is because "you cant just as easily get one in next years draft" esspecially with a second round pick. :roll:
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

If he weren't a moron theres a good chance he would be in the first round of next years draft. His talent level isn't common among first rounders IMO.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Eagles may put in something like a 5th round bid on the guy, but with his character issues, is it worth that kind of risk? Do they need his talent that badly? I would probably say that they do not. I doubt he becomes an Eagle. Seems like the kind of guy who gets snagged as a third rounder somewhere else.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
The Eagles may put in something like a 5th round bid on the guy, but with his character issues, is it worth that kind of risk? Do they need his talent that badly? I would probably say that they do not. I doubt he becomes an Eagle. Seems like the kind of guy who gets snagged as a third rounder somewhere else.
Didnt he just do poorly in school? i dont know if that is a character issue...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Well, if he didn't put his work in in the classroom at school, what's to say that he would put work in the classroom/weight room as a professional football player? There are hundreds of other NCAA football players who were able to get their stuff together. The fact that he didn't or didn't do enough is a character concern to me.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Well, if he didn't put his work in in the classroom at school, what's to say that he would put work in the classroom/weight room as a professional football player? There are hundreds of other NCAA football players who were able to get their stuff together. The fact that he didn't or didn't do enough is a character concern to me.
Thats cute, to judge people without knowing the situation what so ever. There are plenty of reasons why he could have become ineligable for example he could have ended up taking classes that were too tough or got stuck with terrible professors. "well if he didnt put in his work in the classroom at school, whats to say that he would put int he work in the classroom/weight room as a professional football player?" well because he obviously has put in enough work there to be amongst the best in college football. Plus its not like corners are smart... coming out Corners/DT's/RB's historically have amongst the lowest wonderlic scores.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Oliver as far as I know is just naturally stupid.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
Oliver as far as I know is just naturally stupid.
Most corners are
Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Thats cute, to judge people without knowing the situation what so ever. There are plenty of reasons why he could have become ineligable for example he could have ended up taking classes that were too tough or got stuck with terrible professors. "well if he didnt put in his work in the classroom at school, whats to say that he would put int he work in the classroom/weight room as a professional football player?" well because he obviously has put in enough work there to be amongst the best in college football. Plus its not like corners are smart... coming out Corners/DT's/RB's historically have amongst the lowest wonderlic scores.
Whatever his reasons, Oliver made some questionable choices. He could have gone pro after a huge win against VTech in a major bowl, but he didn't do so. After the season, he had a full semester of classes to get his stuff together, and he didn't do it. Georgia is not the most challenging institution in the country, and I'm sure he had access to all of the tutoring and resources that he needed. Fact is that he just didn't succeed. It has to go down as a negative against him. I'm sure Oliver will get drafted in the supplemental draft, but I don't foresee him being an Eagle.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Black Majic

I dont think he'll be as stupid as Portis....but the dummy make a few bucks along the way
Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Portis has an issue with keeping his mouth shut, but at least he could keep his grades up long enough to get to the NFL.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:08 AM    (permalink
jonbrodo17
Rookie

I heard a wild rumor a while ago (my friend told me so i know its not a valid source) that Sean Taylor doesn't know his ABC's, i doubt its true but it just go's to show you that education isn't relly valued in the NFL and you can get by just knowing a playbook and how to play. I honestly don't know anything about Oliver i just thougt it would b interesting for the eagles to get a 1st/2nd round value by only giving up a 3rd or higher pick

sig by Jackalope

RIP VT Students 4/16/07

Vote McCain '08
Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, there is no way we would be willing to give up a third or better pick on a guy who has suspect intelligence and an iffy character. We would be able to find a guy that good or better in '08 draft, and there may be people that are better than him that would be available in the later rounds. Remember, the draft isn;t an exact science, so there could be a CB that goes second day next year that could go on to have better career than this Oliver guy. Maybe if I would have heard of this guy before this post was brought up, I might be more inclined to give it a try, but he would have to be really good for the Eagles to give up a second rounder on him. The LB for the Bengals (Name escapes me for the moment) was someone I recognized as a good player, and they only gave up a second for him, but since this is the first time I have heard of him, I would say no on a second or third round pick.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree, there is no way we would be willing to give up a third or better pick on a guy who has suspect intelligence and an iffy character. We would be able to find a guy that good or better in '08 draft, and there may be people that are better than him that would be available in the later rounds. Remember, the draft isn;t an exact science, so there could be a CB that goes second day next year that could go on to have better career than this Oliver guy. Maybe if I would have heard of this guy before this post was brought up, I might be more inclined to give it a try, but he would have to be really good for the Eagles to give up a second rounder on him. The LB for the Bengals (Name escapes me for the moment) was someone I recognized as a good player, and they only gave up a second for him, but since this is the first time I have heard of him, I would say no on a second or third round pick.
Ahmad Brooks, he did well last year and is starting this year. There very possibly will be better players available later in next years draft, but you'll be hard pressed to find better prospects. His ability is on par with a late first round pick.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we can toss a 5th or 6th at the guy wait the 6th my be in jepordy. If the guy is dumb, doesnt mean he cant read and know the playbook.

If he is talented then a 5th would be good on him.

Or we could kind of force him to be a UDFA, by telling him look your not going to do good in school.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I think we can toss a 5th or 6th at the guy wait the 6th my be in jepordy. If the guy is dumb, doesnt mean he cant read and know the playbook.

If he is talented then a 5th would be good on him.

Or we could kind of force him to be a UDFA, by telling him look your not going to do good in school.
He is going to get at the very worst an early 3rd. So basically the only way the eagles could have a shot at him was with a second. THIS GUY IS GOOD.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Neo
Rookie

Neo needs more cowbell.

Quote:
This is true, Eaglesalltheway knowing a guy is an assurance that he is good. "if i know him" he is good "if i dont know him" he isnt good. Guess what alot of people know who he is... now i dont think the eagles are going to get him, i mean i would maybe give it a 1/100 chance, however this guy is good and if the eagles gave up a second round pick for the dude i wouldnt be angry in the least bit.