Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

View Poll Results: Who will start
Simms 18 42.86%
Garcia 24 57.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Who will start at QB?

I'll pick Simms, he knows Gruden's offense and I think Garcia is past his prime, and he just had a ton of players around him in Philly.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Simms to start too, but ultimately, I think that Garcia will get the nod at QB. He will obviously have to win the job in training camp and if he can continue his form from last season then he will probably get the job. I hope Simms can beat him, but I am very skeptical about the chances of that happening.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of you guys overrate Garcia and his success last year. His stats may have been tremendous but I saw many of his games and he looked nothing more than an above-average game manager. He was definitely a product of his surroundings. Philadelphia pass blocked well and had many weapons like LJ Smith, Westbrook & Stallworth. One must also keep their offensive system in mind when evaluating Garcia because Reid runs a QB-friendly offense like New England with multi-WR sets & seam routes. Other backups have had similar success like AJ Feeley under that offense despite minimal talent. Our offense is more difficult to run and comprehend while our talent pool is not as deep. I wouldn't expect him to revert to his Cleveland/Detroit days but I think he will be stuck somewhere in the middle. Simms is a better playmaker and has the upside, so I don't think our coaches will bench him unless he plays poorly to start the season.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simms will start....im just afraid after the VERY TOUGH first half of the season Gruden will be forced by media and fans to turn to Garcia...

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simms. He'll solidify himself as the Bucs' QB this year.

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope everyone is right about Simms starting although I'm not sure it turns out that way.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

8-3. Me=happy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-24-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Some of you guys overrate Garcia and his success last year. His stats may have been tremendous but I saw many of his games and he looked nothing more than an above-average game manager. He was definitely a product of his surroundings. Philadelphia pass blocked well and had many weapons like LJ Smith, Westbrook & Stallworth. One must also keep their offensive system in mind when evaluating Garcia because Reid runs a QB-friendly offense like New England with multi-WR sets & seam routes. Other backups have had similar success like AJ Feeley under that offense despite minimal talent. Our offense is more difficult to run and comprehend while our talent pool is not as deep. I wouldn't expect him to revert to his Cleveland/Detroit days but I think he will be stuck somewhere in the middle. Simms is a better playmaker and has the upside, so I don't think our coaches will bench him unless he plays poorly to start the season.

I've always wanted Simms to prove that he's the guy, he just never has. You say Garcia was nothing more than an above average game manager last year, I would say that Simms has never played at even that level on a consistent basis. Also with an offense that is "more difficult to run and comprehend," as you say I'll take the veteran over the young guy who hasn't solidified his role in that scenario.

Simms is entering what? His 5th year. If he's not the undisputed starter and this point I have a tough time believing he ever will be. The Bucs spent a lot of energy acquiring QBs this offseason, what's that old saying if you have a lot of them you don't have one.
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
I've always wanted Simms to prove that he's the guy, he just never has.
Um, how about when he lead us to the playoffs?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
Just ignore him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
When exactly did Simms lead the Bucs to the playoffs? I recall a #1 D and a rookie running back playing a pretty significant role in the Bucs getting to the playoffs in 2005. Simms was pretty average, other than the regular season game vs. the Skins in 2005. He lead the team to that win, but that's his career highlight.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Quote:
Just ignore him.
Let's ignore the Bucs' trade for Jake Plummer and signing of Jeff Garcia, to similar money as Simms, as well. Those are the actions of a franchise that really believes they have their franchise QB in place.

I'm all for Simms as the Bucs franchise QB, so long as he can prove that is what he can be, which he hasn't. He was headed for the bench in 06 before he lost his spleen.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
When exactly did Simms lead the Bucs to the playoffs? I recall a #1 D and a rookie running back playing a pretty significant role in the Bucs getting to the playoffs in 2005. Simms was pretty average, other than the regular season game vs. the Skins in 2005. He lead the team to that win, but that's his career highlight.
I agree, he wasn't a detriment, nor was he a big contributor. If all hte players played at his level we wouldn't have made the playoffs. The fact that he was the QB does make him more important but it wasn't his play that lead us to the playoffs, just like you can't say Dilfer lead the Ravens to teh superbowl, it was there defense. Wade started but you can't say he was a big contributor to the success.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Let's ignore the Bucs' trade for Jake Plummer and signing of Jeff Garcia, to similar money as Simms, as well. Those are the actions of a franchise that really believes they have their franchise QB in place.

I'm all for Simms as the Bucs franchise QB, so long as he can prove that is what he can be, which he hasn't. He was headed for the bench in 06 before he lost his spleen.
Oh so you're one of those guys who thinks Philly drafted Kolb because they're sick of McNabb. Come off it, signing a veteran QB gives little indication of a team's opinion on a player. Jon Gruden loves as many QBs as he can get his hands onto and with the new salary cap he was able to pay "starters money" to 2 players. Would we have signed Garcia without the cap room? Unlikely.

Has the following thought ever crossed your mind: Last season Simms got knocked out against Carolina, leaving us with only a 6th round draft pick to lead us for the rest of the season. Do you think Gruden wants to risk that again? Now we have veteran insurance who is more than capable to fill in for injury. That's the main reason for the signing of Garcia. If you think it's because our coaches have no confidence in Simms you are sadly mistaken. Coaches don't forget a division title & playoff berth, especially not after a 4-12 season. Even if Simms had nothing to do with our playoff run he was still our starting QB and will get credit from the coaches for that. He's now older and more experienced, making it even easier to trust him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-25-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Quote:
Oh so you're one of those guys who thinks Philly drafted Kolb because they're sick of McNabb. Come off it, signing a veteran QB gives little indication of a team's opinion on a player. Jon Gruden loves as many QBs as he can get his hands onto and with the new salary cap he was able to pay "starters money" to 2 players. Would we have signed Garcia without the cap room? Unlikely.

Has the following thought ever crossed your mind: Last season Simms got knocked out against Carolina, leaving us with only a 6th round draft pick to lead us for the rest of the season. Do you think Gruden wants to risk that again? Now we have veteran insurance who is more than capable to fill in for injury. That's the main reason for the signing of Garcia. If you think it's because our coaches have no confidence in Simms you are sadly mistaken. Coaches don't forget a division title & playoff berth, especially not after a 4-12 season. Even if Simms had nothing to do with our playoff run he was still our starting QB and will get credit from the coaches for that. He's now older and more experienced, making it even easier to trust him.

Would the Bucs have signed Garcia without the cap room? You can't be serious with that question. In case you are serious I'll answer, gee no. Would you buy a new car if you didn't have any money? I'm just curious.

I might buy your arguement that the Bucs were just bringning in a veteran backup after the disaster that was the 2006 season. I don't for a few reasons. First and foremost the Bucs brought in not one but two veteran QBs with significant starting experience to compete with Simms. Second, Simms and Garcia basically signed the same contract this offseason, and I believe the Bucs are carrying approximately $7 million on their cap for Plummer. In the salary cap era teams do not pay three players starters money just because they have the cap room. Even with the increase to the cap this offseason the Bucs have been very conservative in free agencey with respect to new signings. So I'm not buying that the Bucs are bringing these QBs just because they have the cap room.

And finally, you are overstating Simms play in 2005 and completely dismissing him being the worst starting QB in the league through the first 4 games of 2006. Simms' ruptured spleen saved him the pain of being benched in my opinion. He didn't have a rough game or two in 2006, he was arguably the worst starting QB in the league for the first month of the 2006 season, in a contract year, the year he was the annointed starter for all the offseason, and went unchallenged in training camp.

I like to think that if Simms hadn't gotten hurt last year the Bucs' record wouldn't have been quite as bad. But when you consider how bad Simms was playing before he got hurt that isn't necessarily the easiest thing to prove.

It boils down to this - you think the Bucs are confident in Simms based him being the teams starting QB in 2005, and that the Plummer trade and Garcia signings are just insurance against injury. I think the Bucs aren't sold on Simms as their long term answer at QB, he was average at best in 2005, pitiful in 2006, and the Bucs grabbed a couple of starting QBs to compete with Simms for the starting spot. Their is more evidence to support my conclusion than there is to support yours.

I think the Eagles drafted Kolb because McNabb is entering his 10th year, is coming off a significant knee injury, and (I believe) has ended up on IR two of the last three season. Seems to me that drafting Kolb is looking towards the future, that future may not be next season, but perhaps it isn't to far off.

Regarding your assertion that the Bucs don't forget a Division title and playoff berth that Simms was a part of - the Bucs D and running game had more to do with the teams success in 05 than Simms did, and ask Trent Dilfer how the Ravens remembered a playoff berth and Super Bowl victory the next season.

And I'll repeat myself, I've always wanted Simms to prove that he can be the guy. Of all the QBs on the Bucs roster Simms represents the best option in terms of stability at the QB position over a long period of time. Simms has simply never solidified his position as the teams starting QB. I hope Simms proves me wrong in 07, but I dont think he will, and I don't think he'll be the starter in week 1.

Last edited by Watchman : 05-25-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Quote:
If you think it's because our coaches have no confidence in Simms you are sadly mistaken. Coaches don't forget a division title & playoff berth, especially not after a 4-12 season. Even if Simms had nothing to do with our playoff run he was still our starting QB and will get credit from the coaches for that. He's now older and more experienced, making it even easier to trust him.

I just couldn't help myself, I had to come back and respond to this part of your post. Your basing your whole case that the Bucs support Chris Simms on the fact that he was the QB in 05, and even if he had nothing to do with the teams success that year he'll get credit for it? Are you serious?

If the Bucs were confident in Simms at the starting QB, why didn't they sign him to a long term deal? You yourself admitted the team had all the cap room in the world to pay 3 guys starting QB money. So it wasn't for a lack of cap space. The Bucs could have easily signed Simms to a 5, 6, or 7 year deal. Why did they only sign Simms for 2 years? Because they aren't convinced he's the long term solution at QB, that's why.

I will agree with your statement that Simms is now older, but you lose me on the "more experienced" part. Simms is more experience because he threw 1 TD and 7 INTs in 4 games last year? I guess he has 4 more starts under his belt, but if anything he regressed in 2006. If you want to chalk that up to "more experienced" feel free.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think etk meant that the staff were utterly convinced Simms was the long term option, but instead felt that his role in our playoff year was enough to merit another chance to start despite his poor start to 2006. And I think they've addressed one of the potential problems that existed going into 2006 which was a complete lack of competition at the QB position, allowing Simms to walk into his first year as an NFL starter unchallenged.

I don't mean to speak for etk, but that was my understanding of it.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

It is up to Simms to prove that he's the long-term option and franchise QB. I think our coaches trust him for the present and the job will be his to lose. There's nothing Gruden wants more than a QB he can trust for the foreseeable future because he hates developing them and changing them. He wants to stick with one guy and Simms will have to perform very poorly to lose his job. He will be our opening day starter, but if he doesn't it's because of outside pressure and not Gruden's ultimate choice.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-25-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's got the same problems daddy Simms had. Injuries

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would you guys want Chris Simms? He sucks.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Quote:
It is up to Simms to prove that he's the long-term option and franchise QB. I think our coaches trust him for the present and the job will be his to lose. There's nothing Gruden wants more than a QB he can trust for the foreseeable future because he hates developing them and changing them. He wants to stick with one guy and Simms will have to perform very poorly to lose his job. He will be our opening day starter, but if he doesn't it's because of outside pressure and not Gruden's ultimate choice.
I agree with some of what you are saying. He's #1 of the depth chart right now by default, and I don't think he'll win the TC battle. If Plummer had reported following the trade I think Simms would have been traded around the draft.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
Why would you guys want Chris Simms? He sucks.
You're too cool for this team board, go back where you belong.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

I think another thing that should be explored is the fact that this is a contract year for Gruden. He needs to perform in order to get a new contract in Tampa and if he believes that Jeff Garcia gives him the best shot at winning this year, then that is who he will go for.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great point....

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
one_of_a_kind24
Rookie

one_of_a_kind24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I think another thing that should be explored is the fact that this is a contract year for Gruden. He needs to perform in order to get a new contract in Tampa and if he believes that Jeff Garcia gives him the best shot at winning this year, then that is who he will go for.
I usually don't post much but I want to correct this. Gruden is under contract through the 2008 season.
one_of_a_kind24 is offline   Reply With Quote