Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Yeah, rookie wage sale is coming sooner rather than later. I'm pretty pumped about it actually. Means we'll use more of our draft picks.
Yeah that's something I'm with Goodell 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Yeah that's something I'm with Goodell 100%.
i honestly think everyone agrees, minus incoming rookies

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, I think the Patriots may trade down more because of a rookie cap.

Picks will become more valuable as a top pick will no longer merit having a huge contract tied to it. More teams will be interested in those players, so the value will go up.

I don't think it's about money. I think Belichick values 2nd and 3rd round picks more than a first rounder.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Source? WAAAAAY too early for all this stuff. Anything you hear now is likely ******** writers made up out of boredom.
I can't seem to find the link now. Maybe the story was pulled. Personally I hope the author was just making it up because the rumor to why McShay is so high on Gabbert is because a top 5 GM thinks he's the second best QB in the draft and is highly considering him (privately). How that information got out (or if it was an intentional leak to drive up his stock) is anyone's guess.

Anyways... I still think it's not unreasonable for Heyward to be available for the 32nd/33rd pick because the NFL doesn't just look at his last game. His games have been inconsistent.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Actually, I think the Patriots may trade down more because of a rookie cap.

Picks will become more valuable as a top pick will no longer merit having a huge contract tied to it. More teams will be interested in those players, so the value will go up.

I don't think it's about money. I think Belichick values 2nd and 3rd round picks more than a first rounder.
you could also have the opposite feeling with trading up more now. honestly, there arent alot of spots open anymore because we have such a young team and loaded team due to the abundance of 2nd round picks the last few years. you could see BB trading UP in order to secure a guy who will have a bigger impact due to the lack of depth at a certain position, or a guy he simply falls in love with. we just have too many picks for roster positions open right now.

i dont think that is what is going to happen, but im just making a statement that a few people could think like that

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I can't seem to find the link now. Maybe the story was pulled. Personally I hope the author was just making it up because the rumor to why McShay is so high on Gabbert is because a top 5 GM thinks he's the second best QB in the draft and is highly considering him (privately). How that information got out (or if it was an intentional leak to drive up his stock) is anyone's guess.
It's too early. BB likely hasn't even looked at prospects yet. Floyd Reese and some of the football operations guys likely have, but it's really too early to hear any information like that.

Luckily, Gabbert looks like he's going to be drafted top ten(which isn't the best idea IMO) so it won't be an issue even if we do have some sort of crush on him. I CAN see us liking him, for the record. Basically a more talented version of Kevin O'Connell who is familiar with the short passing offense(Even though he's not very good at it.).

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...s-mvp-watch-34

Abaddon is that you?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's toio funny! I try to stay away from all homerisms on this site but there is NO question that Brady has had a most remarkable season when his team needed it most. Think back to the beginning of the year when the overwhelming theme of the chatter out there was that the Pat's run was over, the personnel that won all those big games was gone and the Pats were a potential 8-9 win team and trying to create a new cast of characters.

Well, they did. It is all new names aside from Brady, Welker and Wilfork (and of course BB). How can anyone vote otherwise? I put my homerism aside and expect the haters to be objective as well. Brady has the weight of his past performance and the expectations it creates on his back. He was slightly roasted for not spending as much time this off season in NE as in the past. Some questioned if Tom had lost some of the commitment to winning. Clearly his performance has put all that talk in the trash and made those who brought it up seem a bit foolish.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Half the roster is made of up of new players....enough said.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
MizzouBig12
Rookie

MizzouBig12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.MizzouBig12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
im guessing me and you have completely different opinions on watt and his fit. but thats all good though, should def be something to watch down the stretch. he has all the makings of a patriot, minus the fit in my personal opinion. we shall see!
I personally don't think that JJ Watt will end up being the Pats' pick, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be a good one. You state that he isn't "huge" enough to be a good fit for the Patriots line. By that reasoning, the Patriots would have passed on Ndamukong Suh, since he doesn't have that extra-rotund blob shape like Wilfork
MizzouBig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DE is definitely a position BB feels is a strong fit for higher picks. Heyward @ DE would be fine by me at 17.

I don't see any reason BB would not move up to get a guy he really feels can be a difference maker. There were rumors that the Pats were looking to move up last year. But, as always, it's all about the value.

Personally, I just don't see room on our roster for 6 rookies and that's only the first 3 rounds worth of draftees. At this point I have come full circle back to "In Bill We Trust." There was a rough patch drafting but now we're clearly back to absolutely dominating the draft.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
i honestly think everyone agrees, minus incoming rookies
and the agents.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
DE is definitely a position BB feels is a strong fit for higher picks. Heyward @ DE would be fine by me at 17.

I don't see any reason BB would not move up to get a guy he really feels can be a difference maker. There were rumors that the Pats were looking to move up last year. But, as always, it's all about the value.

Personally, I just don't see room on our roster for 6 rookies and that's only the first 3 rounds worth of draftees. At this point I have come full circle back to "In Bill We Trust." There was a rough patch drafting but now we're clearly back to absolutely dominating the draft.
I agree 100%. We have a pretty good team right now. What we need are impact players. I don't care who we draft, as long as we take at least one OLB and one OL with our first three picks. In Bill I thrust. I think this draft should be about finding players that fit the Patriot Way more than anything. We have a deep team, but we could improve on top end talent imo.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

As long as we don't give up a ton of picks to do it, fine, but I'm really not enamored with anyone that won't be available at pick 17 for us.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I'm wondering if BB is satisfied with BJGE and chooses to wait to draft a running back in the later rounds. With all our vets we certainly need one, but wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed one early on.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want a RB in the first two rounds personally. BJGE and Woodhead have given us the best production out of the backfield we've seen in years, and they complement each other so well. They are doing it with essentially the same (only older) OL Maroney and others had as well.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Woodhead while being in on more then just third down is basically our future faulk/third down back. BJGE fits our system well, doesn't fumble and doesn't get negative yards. I'm just thinking of what our offense would look like with a stud at rb, and I don't think that's Ingram for the record haha.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

No point in taking a runner in the first two rounds, or even three, when we just got a thousand yards out of one guy. We had a top ten rushing attack this year overall too. The pass will always be first in our offense and we're set up to sustain that. Taking a 300+ carry a year back would mostly be a wasted pick because they'll never get said carries. Completely comfortable with Lawfirm and Woodhead going forward, in fact, I would prefer not to screw it up by adding any wrinkles.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some guys I'd really like us to take in the 3rd round or lower are:

Derrick Locke, Kentucky
Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma St.
Roy Helu Jr., Nebraska
Damien Berry, Miami (Fl.) (UDFA)

I'm fine with having Lawfirm and Woody being the featured backs for us, but we need some depth imo.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Do we really have the roster space for another scatback? Woodhead is here to stay and Faulk very well could be back as well. That rules out Locke and Hunter right away.

Helu would be nice, but will likely be a third round pick. Runningbacks not named Faulk, Woodhead, or Lawfirm combined for less than 75 carries and that number is only going to go down next year with an established situation. Is a third round pick really worth 50 carries that will mostly be meaningless?

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
In Bill I thrust.
Freudian whip? er, slip? lol

Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

value dictates all. We spent a pick on a WR we knew would not sniff the field this year. I agree we need one new back next year and he needs to be a project so some extent. BJGE is really the only full time back on the roster next year. I love Woody but a sprain or minor injury to BJGE leaves you with a 5'6" lead back? scarry. If we keep all those picks a 3rd rounder or later for the right back with good all around skills makes sense.

Having said that, the pedigree of our two present backs proves that you can find viable options with late round picks, waiver pickups etc. I don't think you can go to that well too often at the same position. BB seems to buy into that philosophy and rarely goes too long without drafting each position on the team with a premium pick (1st three rounds). the only exception I can think of being QB. The second longest drought for such a pick behind QB? that would be center.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

^Very good points.

I'm thinking the same on RB. I love Danny & Ben but we still need depth there even if Morris sticks around. Woodhead's size worries me for durability & longevity and there's just no way we can ever expect him to step into the role filled by BJGE.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do we really have the roster space for another scatback? Woodhead is here to stay and Faulk very well could be back as well. That rules out Locke and Hunter right away.
I don't think size has anything to do with anything. Both Hunter and Locke are guys I could see as starters in the league down the line. Guys like MJD and Ray Rice have really opened my eyes: Smaller backs can make in in this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Freudian whip? er, slip? lol
Haha, no.. Not really. It's from PFW In Progress (Patriots webradio) if any of you guys listen to that?

Quote:
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I don't think size has anything to do with anything. Both Hunter and Locke are guys I could see as starters in the league down the line. Guys like MJD and Ray Rice have really opened my eyes: Smaller backs can make in in this league.
Size? No. Style of play yes. Besides, it's not that simple. 5'8 212 and 5'7 208 are by no means small. 5'9 190 and 5'8 197 are. MDJ and Rice are rare specimens. Absolute tanks. To see the difference between Locke and Hunter just looks at the legs and the film. We've always known guys like Rice and MJD can make it in this league and that's why they were drafted as high as they were. Rice didn't fall for size either, he fell for questions about his long speed. He came out and ran a blazing 40 time, but his film really did not justify that time and still doesn't. MJD had concerns about production and about carrying the load. Never broke 200 carries in his college career and had issues with injuries. Both were still taken in the second round, which is never a bad result for a runningback.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-06-2011 at 05:40 PM.