Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be taking away his greatest asset, asking him to cut weight. Wouldn't make any sense at all.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I ran the Patriots in fenikz's mock draft. Here it is so far:

1. JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
1. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
2. Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona
2. Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State
3. James Carpenter, OG, Alabama
3. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
4. Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford
5. Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho

Thoughts and critiques appreciated, would love to hear from some actual Pats fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Smith, but I don't know that I would have bothered with a WR in this draft. OT or earlier interior OL help maybe?

2 black OLs on the Pats? This is a token black society, sir. We need a red beard in there somewhere.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post

3. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
5. Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho

Thoughts and critiques appreciated, would love to hear from some actual Pats fans.
Im not a Torrey Smith fan for the Pats. They already have two guys who can do what he does in Tate and Price and both deserve more time to develop. At WR it's either AJ Green, Julio Jones or Leonard Hankerson for me early in the draft.

Love the Watt and Reed picks and I cant argue with going Hudson and Carpenter. Both guys offer versatility along the line and shoudl at least be top quality back ups. Hudson may need to add some weight though.

Vereen is a meh pick at the end of the third. RB is not a pressing need and I believe the third round is a little high.

The Pats dont use the FB that often and even when Heath Evans was here they seldom used him outside the goal line. That being said, with the move toward the more power orientated pro sets with the TEs maybe a FB would be more used.

I dont know enough about Keo to comment properly but at that point he would be a strictly depth player.

Overall an ok draft.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Last edited by AntoinCD : 02-09-2011 at 06:47 AM.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Awesome pick. I prefer Jordan personally, but if he's not there this is a damn good pick. Just the kind of guy we need around here.

Quote:
Another good pick and a really good value. I really don't see Smith as this one trick pony some do. Good combination of size/speed and hands. Should be able to get open down the field and against good man coverages, which is just what we need.

Quote:
This is my man crush this year a darn good value at the top of the second. I legitimately feel Reed might be the best pass rusher from this draft as 3-4 OLB outside of Robert Quinn down the line a few years. Easy, natural athleticism and speed combined with tenacity and speed tend to play well at that position.

Quote:
I'm not the biggest Hudson guy, but he's a good scheme fit I guess. I would prefer another player in this spot, personally. Don't think he would be a massive upgrade over Koppen and that's the thing we're looking for at center. I understand he's a good technician and all that, but he didn't deal with Phil Taylor well at the Senior Bowl from what I saw. That's the kind of guy we should be looking for, someone who can anchor and do a good job on nose tackles that regularly terrorize Koppen.

Quote:
I'm a big fan. I think he could play either guard spot and maybe even tackle at the next level. Came out and really looked more mobile and athletic than given credit for and should be a very good RG in our scheme.

Quote:
3. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
This is just what we need at runningback. A complete back with speed. Probably wouldn't start right away here, but down the line he well could and be very effective. Good fit.

Quote:
We've passed on traditional FB's many times before...but maybe we were just looking for this guy. Meets all our requirements for character and willingness to wear more than one hat. Really love the pick.

Quote:
5. Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho
Probably more of a special teams guy, right? I really didn't notice him much in the Idaho games I watched.

Quote:
This is a really, really good draft for us man. I would love it if this actually happened.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 02-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate it APS, get out of here.

Naaah outside of Smith and verheem in the third I'd say it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Awesome pick. I prefer Jordan personally, but if he's not there this is a damn good pick. Just the kind of guy we need around here.

Another good pick and a really good value. I really don't see Smith as this one trick pony some do. Good combination of size/speed and hands. Should be able to get open down the field and against good man coverages, which is just what we need.

This is my man crush this year a darn good value at the top of the second. I legitimately feel Reed might be the best pass rusher from this draft as 3-4 OLB outside of Robert Quinn down the line a few years. Easy, natural athleticism and speed combined with tenacity and speed tend to play well at that position.

I'm not the biggest Hudson guy, but he's a good scheme fit I guess. I would prefer another player in this spot, personally. Don't think he would be a massive upgrade over Koppen and that's the thing we're looking for at center. I understand he's a good technician and all that, but he didn't deal with Phil Taylor well at the Senior Bowl from what I saw. That's the kind of guy we should be looking for, someone who can anchor and do a good job on nose tackles that regularly terrorize Koppen.

I'm a big fan. I think he could play either guard spot and maybe even tackle at the next level. Came out and really looked more mobile and athletic than given credit for and should be a very good RG in our scheme.

This is just what we need at runningback. A complete back with speed. Probably wouldn't start right away here, but down the line he well could and be very effective. Good fit.

We've passed on traditional FB's many times before...but maybe we were just looking for this guy. Meets all our requirements for character and willingness to wear more than one hat. Really love the pick.

Probably more of a special teams guy, right? I really didn't notice him much in the Idaho games I watched.

This is a really, really good draft for us man. I would love it if this actually happened.
I thought it was ok, I certainly wouldn't be upset but I wouldn't be tremendously thrilled. I prefer Hankerson at the end of the first to Smith, but either way it's not where I would prefer to go in the first round. I understand why you like it, but I would question one or two of the picks.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a big fan of the 1st rd, honestly.
JJ Watt seems more of a pass rusher, not a gap style player
T.Smith, like ACD said, if it's not Hankerson, JJ or Green, I'm not really interested in a WR that early

I have a man crush on C.Heyward. Don't know if he's available at any of those two spots on your mock but just throwing my two cents.

Oh, and while I don't like Watt on our base D...
I think he'd be a beast a the UT in our nickel packages.
He can really get after the QB

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I thought it was ok, I certainly wouldn't be upset but I wouldn't be tremendously thrilled. I prefer Hankerson at the end of the first to Smith, but either way it's not where I would prefer to go in the first round. I understand why you like it, but I would question one or two of the picks.
Why question Smith? He might be a similar player to Tate physically, but that doesn't mean they're equal players. Smith's hands and route running ability aren't a problem and he should be able to do the things that we're looking for. Much better player thank Hankerson because of his speed. Doesn't have the concentration and hands problems either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Not a big fan of the 1st rd, honestly.
JJ Watt seems more of a pass rusher, not a gap style player
He can do both. If you're a fan of Cameron Jordan, no reason not to love JJ Watt. Very stout at the POA and very strong. He has the frame to get up to 320 pounds eventually and maintain his quickness too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Oh, and while I don't like Watt on our base D...
I think he'd be a beast a the UT in our nickel packages.
He can really get after the QB
Wouldn't be a good spot for him. He's likely a Justin Smith type guy in terms of role in a defense because of his height. Not really a good interior pass rusher.

As far as Vereen goes...I think you guys are underrating him quite a bit. I think we would all prefer not to get a runningback in the first couple of rounds, but he's a massive upgrade in terms of talent over the guys we have right now. This is the type of guy who can put up a lot of yards in a lot of different ways. I know we all love Woodhead and he's here to stay, but he's not a starter in this league. Vereen probably is.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 02-09-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I can help to justify some of them...

JJ Watt is the second coming of Aaron Smith. He's big, strong, and extremely long. I chose him over someone like Cam Heyward for you guys because while he is excellent against the run, he could also provide some pass rush from the 5 tech spot. I think he's a good fit schematically and great value at 17.

Torrey Smith hasn't been well received by most, but I think he's getting a bit of a bad rep right now. I like the Roddy White comparisons. He's got a little more speed and a little less size, but he certainly isn't just a deep threat. He's ubertalented and I picked him over Hankerson and Baldwin because I think he's a better player and better value.

Vereen is one of my favorite players in this class and I have him ranked as my #3 back. The guy is a playmaker and it was an absolute coup getting him where I did. You can never have too much depth or too many playmakers and Vereen is a guy I thought could add a little to the backfield.

Rodney Hudson is the most decorated lineman in ACC history. He's got every tool to be a Pro Bowl centre for 10 years. Give him one year in an NFL S&C program and I think you've got a stud on your hands. He's highly intelligent, mobile, and should help to anchor the offensive line.

I tried to get an OT earlier but the value just didn't match up. I'm a big fan of Carpenter and I assumed that Vollmer could kick over to LT in time with Carpenter manning the right side. If he fails there, kick him inside to OG and run with it.

Big reason I took Marecic is because he's versatile. He's the kind of player that will pop you in the mouth no matter where he lines up, and while most don't think he has the ability to play LB in the NFL like he did at Stanford, I think in a pinch he could stick there and versatility is never a bad thing.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I loveeeeeeee Marecic he would be excellenttttttttt with the pats. Love the Watt pick too.

btw I kind of want Salas for some reason in the later rounds.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I thought about taking Salas with one of the later picks, but I figured since I drafted Smith already the receiving core would be very deep with Branch - Tate - Smith - Welker and Danny Woodhead and Vereen coming out of the backfield. Marecic is also a damn fine receiver out of there as well.
Quote:
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you could've went with Pouncey instead of Torrey Smith and get Salas in the later rounds. Nice draft though!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

We really don't need a Salas type as attractive as he is as a slot receiver. We need a receiver who can get open against physical, press coverage...someone who can do damage on the outside inside instead of going to the middle every time.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need someone who won't get stuck on Revis Island, to put it mildly.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Mayock five technique rankings(only first rounders);

1. JJ Watt
2. Cameron Jordan
3. Cam Heyward

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/07/mayo...efensive-ends/

Good stuff there. Obviously Mayock isn't god, but he's well connected to other scouts and his rankings reflect that. Reposted, but posted in response to people saying Watt isn't a good fit in a 3-4. He'll likely be drafted to play that position.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, Mike Mayock wouldn't be my first choice for a scout of DL. He's been dead wrong about quite a few "first rounders", mostly notably Robert Ayers. He's a stud with RB/WR/TE/CB/S/LBs though, typically.

I could end up being wrong, but I see a guy who is more Jared Allen than Aaron Smith.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Thing is, often times he's got information on how teams feel about guys and such. Not sure a mass deception about a guy not suited for a position would occur like that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Franchise tag on Mankins, check.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Expected. At least we'll get some value for him in a trade and it does extent the negotiation window.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he didn't think he was just going to up and leave, right? RIGHT?!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet we get a 2nd for him.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully it's like the Wilfork situation where they just tagged him to give everyone time to work something out (business, personal, et al.). I'd rather have Logan Mankins than whatever compensation they can get for him. Pretty sure everyone feels that way. He brings a different energy to the offense that was obviously missed in his absence.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Hopefully it's like the Wilfork situation where they just tagged him to give everyone time to work something out (business, personal, et al.). I'd rather have Logan Mankins than whatever compensation they can get for him. Pretty sure everyone feels that way. He brings a different energy to the offense that was obviously missed in his absence.
This is what I'm hoping as well. I know Wilfork didn't like being tagged initially either but **** it.
It worked out in the long run for both parties

Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I would rather have Mankins than compensation as well. To get good value, we would have to receive a mid first rounder. That's completely unrealistic obviously. We would be taking a loss on any trade for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau