Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be fair, that team (d)evolved into something much different in Carroll's tenure.

I liked Pete and always thought he got a raw deal in New England. That team kept getting so close to getting over the hump, but there was always something that came up to throw a wrench in the plans (Curtis Martin, Robert Edwards).
Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Just curious, why does no one ever point out that Pete Carroll coached (for 3 years) the team Bill Parcells built? And Belichick simply managed to recover the team after 3 years of Pete Carroll?

I always see people say "Belichick won with Parcells team, not his" but by the time they won in 04 (which was considered the best team in NE - save maybe 07), it had been 8 years since Parcells had any involvement with the team... which is significantly longer than most NFL players last.

I've quite seriously never seen that said in any of these "belichick isn't great" threads.

edit: Is it embarrassment? I would be embarrassed if he coached my team too.
Because people who wish to detract from how great a coach BB is often use false logic and dishonest assessments. Mostly because there's no reasonable way to argue that he's not a great coach.

Carroll is terrible. His personnel moves suck, his drafting is worse, and his 'rah rah' **** doesn't last long in the NFL - if it even holds any weight initially. Seattle will be mired in even worse of a mess within 3 years.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Just curious, why does no one ever point out that Pete Carroll coached (for 3 years) the team Bill Parcells built? And Belichick simply managed to recover the team after 3 years of Pete Carroll?

I always see people say "Belichick won with Parcells team, not his" but by the time they won in 04 (which was considered the best team in NE - save maybe 07), it had been 8 years since Parcells had any involvement with the team... which is significantly longer than most NFL players last.

I've quite seriously never seen that said in any of these "belichick isn't great" threads.

edit: Is it embarrassment? I would be embarrassed if he coached my team too.
People hate the Patriots and BB because they are always good and always winning, that hate makes them find any reason possible to demerit any of their qualities even if it doesn't make sense or isn't accurate.

Out of the players that were part of the 2001 campaign, 50 joined between 2000 and 2001, several of them barely played but that just shows how much rebuilding it took in 2000, BB's only losing season in his NE career.

As for Carroll, I think he is a great college coach and an average at best professional coach. He does well when every player sees him as a father figure and believe in him, with professionals who aren't as easy to manipulate he struggles and doesn't have the technical and tactical knowledge to make up for it.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tuesday night, 8 pm EST on ESPN - "The Brady 6" will discuss the 6 Super Bowls Tom Brady will win. . . I mean the 6 QBs drafted before Tom Brady and how this motivated him to be the ultimate winner.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A small taste of the "Brady 6" where brady talks about how frustrating it was for him to sit there and wait to be drafted.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=632...goryid=2378529
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I don't know if anyone was hoping the Patriots pursue Nnamdi Asomugha, but the Patriots won't.

He's represented by CAA = Tom Condon.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched a bit of the Brady 6. Liked it.

I never actually thought Nmandi was coming over to NE so I'm fine

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was just a pipe dream anyway.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I watched a bit of the Brady 6. Liked it.

I never actually thought Nmandi was coming over to NE so I'm fine
Yeah. The Brady 6 seemed good, but I think it could have been better. It seemed to lack a focus. It tried to tell 3-4 stories and didn't really tell any of them.

There were some interesting tidbits though... and a lot of "yeah, we knew he would be good back then even but just passed on him" type comments.

And yea, I only thought Nnamdi would come to NE because it's one of the few places he could be an instant starter, be on a winning team, be with a winning head coach, have a franchise QB, and have cap room to pay him, and the team has a history of taking chances on FAs at big cost (though the last one was Adalius Thomas). The only reasons I could see him wanting to go elsewhere is friends, insane money, or a personality clash with someone like Belichick.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nnamdi would be wasted talent in our constant zone coverage. He be a fool to come in here and have far less chance to be the impact player he will be elsewhere, especially since he'd likely have to take a lower $$$$ figure.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know I'm in a minority who feels this way (like I'm the only one in it) but I think Nnamdi is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. He had one great year a few years back and has been cashing in on it ever since.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I haven't seen enough to know for sure. I do know that the Raiders haven't been good enough against the run to force any QB to really test Nnamdi much.

I will agree that he's overrated based on his skill / positional value / expected payday. There's no player on the field except QBs and QBKillers worth the pay he'll get.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

The Brady 6 had great production and awful storyline. They mixed everything, it didn't seem to have an objective. It looked more like a collection of things related to Brady and the 6 QBs drafted before him than a documentary. It is fun to watch but needed a better director, and the narrating was very bland.
High point though was the commentary on Giovanni Carmazzi.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Have you guys seen McGinest in NFL Network?
He looks in shape. Maybe if we don't draft a OLB we bring him back. JK
Old 04-21-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandoss View Post
The Brady 6 had great production and awful storyline. They mixed everything, it didn't seem to have an objective. It looked more like a collection of things related to Brady and the 6 QBs drafted before him than a documentary. It is fun to watch but needed a better director, and the narrating was very bland.
High point though was the commentary on Giovanni Carmazzi.
Exactly what I thought. I thought the line talking about how the 49ers had hoped to draft the next Joe Montana (with Carmazzi) was one of the better ones. Unfortunately for them, the next Joe Montana was in the draft... it just wasn't Carmazzi.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly what I thought. I thought the line talking about how the 49ers had hoped to draft the next Joe Montana (with Carmazzi) was one of the better ones. Unfortunately for them, the next Joe Montana was in the draft... it just wasn't Carmazzi.
I still haz a sad.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any thoughts on the forum mock so far? Still have one pick in each of the remaining rounds (5, 6, 7.)

17. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida

28. DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple*

41. LB Akeem Ayers, UCLA*

51. WR Torrey Smith, Maryland*

53. FS Rahim Moore, UCLA*

112. RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

First round was solid w/Pouncey and Wilkerson. Ok value for players that should be excellent for us, but I wasn't thrilled by it.

You played the board well through the second and turned it into an awesome draft overall. Love the moves down and then back up into the second landing Ayers / Smith / Moore. Then again to package up a bunch of 5th round picks to grab Hunter.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a fan of Ayers for us. *shrug*
I think he should stay in a 43 to be honest.
I'd take Houston, Reed, Acho and Sheard before I'd settle on Ayers

Old 04-24-2011, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be content with Ayers at 41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:46 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Ayers for us. *shrug*
I think he should stay in a 43 to be honest.
I'd take Houston, Reed, Acho and Sheard before I'd settle on Ayers
Really?
I like Ayers. I cannot see Houston or Sheard playing 3-4 at all.
Acho is a later guy that I really like though.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
Really?
I like Ayers. I cannot see Houston or Sheard playing 3-4 at all.
Acho is a later guy that I really like though.
Didn't Houston played some snaps as OLB?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Yea, Houston was an OLB for UGA. All he did was rush the passer though. For the most part
I think Sheard is athletic enough to do it but I don't have high hopes on his coverage skills though, just his pass rushing ones

Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Quote:
Yea, Houston was an OLB for UGA. All he did was rush the passer though. For the most part
I think Sheard is athletic enough to do it but I don't have high hopes on his coverage skills though, just his pass rushing ones
Yeah! I wasn't sure if I was thinking of someone else. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
He did only rush the passer, but do you think TBC is great dropping in coverage? Jermaine Cunningham? Ninkovich? My true worry would be if he can set the edge. Covering I believe he can be just as good as what we have, and a better rusher, and I'll take take any day.
I haven't seem Sheard, but Houston seems like a decent pass rusher to me. I'd love Miller but since that's not happening and it seem Kerrigan, Smith and Quinn will be long gone when 17 comes I'd be happy with him, but maybe at 28. I'd like to see an OL at 17 if all the top pass rushers are gone, almost any that has a first round grade except Pouncey. Don't know why, just don't like the guy.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guyz, the draft is three days away. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote