Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we dodged a bullet with nnamdi goin the the eagles. sweeeet.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Why do people keep bringing up switching to a 4-3 every year?

If the Pats are bringing in a guy, it's because they think he fits in with what they do and is athletic enough to conform to the various schemes they roll out.
We aren't really a 3-4 anymore anyway. We play a multiple D scheme really.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
we dodged a bullet with nnamdi goin the the eagles. sweeeet.
With that alone... it makes today just as good as yesterday! haha

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Random thought, I guess... but TE L.Smith makes the squad now with the release of Crumpler?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Random thought, I guess... but TE L.Smith makes the squad now with the release of Crumpler?
absolutely. i just have a feeling too tho that at some point crumpler will resign during the season, when injuries take a toll and such.

in other news, marcus cannon has been signed, and Kyle Arrington agreed to a 2 year deal

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

R.Mallet as well. Glad to see Cannon signed though. I have high hopes for him.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

now we just need to sign solder, dowling, and vareen... along with another pass rusher and we should be all set in my opinion

edit: along with bringing back the likes of BJGE, Light, Mankins, etc...

Last edited by proshoota25 : 07-29-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumor... Bill Belichick is looking to acquire a big name FA pass rusher...

It's probably Willie McGinest.

LOL. You know I made that up... Patriots acquire a pass rusher? LOL
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
We aren't really a 3-4 anymore anyway. We play a multiple D scheme really.
The Pats have always been that way... The base has been 3-4 and will continue to be because it's the most versatile.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't want to watch a 4-3 defense. I've grown to love watching 3-4 football over the years here. 4-3 just seems so...boring.

Plus, as I mentioned, just seems like the timing is all wrong.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 07-29-2011 at 09:05 PM.
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First Fat Al interview in an interesting PAC;
http://www.patriots.com/media-center...c-1d9a2bae68c5

Basically all that's in there is that he's a very large human being who also happens to be very shiny. Mean looking too. The rest is cliches.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 07-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I think Fat Al, at least in his first year, is going to friggin' beast!
I'm pretty excited about it. I love watching the D more than the O.
Maybe this year will be a year I'm not having a panic attack every time they take the field

Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-from-the-3-4/

Makes sense now.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this move was a product of BB ultimately getting frustrated with his personnel searches for 5 techs and OLB's. The 3-4 worked for so many years because it started right off the bat essentially with the one of the best 5 techs ever in Richard Seymour, and 2 do it all LB's that fell into the BB's lap in Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel. Now he goes into the draft every year, and comes out either unsatisfied with the talent available to him, or the players he does like go way earlier than they would have before because there are so many teams running a 3-4 nowadays. After suffering through Brace, Crable, Thomas, and Burgess fiascos and having Ty Warren never turning into the end he thought he had when he let Seymour go it essentially crippled his 3-4 defense. His OLB's have so much responsibility and it's damn near impossible to find guys who can take over there.

Now who knows if they even make the switch. We've been down this road before. If they do what does it mean for guys like Spikes, Wilfork, and Deaderick who seem to be ideal fits in the 3-4? Wilfork will probably be fine and might be able to flash a little bit more in the pass rush game, but can Spikes play SLB? I think the biggest winners if they do this would obviously be Haynesworth and Guyton. I think with Guyton's speed he could be a menace at WLB.

If they do this they obviously need to get a Defensive End. Osi would be fantastic, but I'm sure BB is kicking under more rocks than that. I think BB would have loved to make draft day trades for players if he was allowed, but we certainly have the ammunition in the form of draft picks to get virtually any guy on the trading block. I think if we make the switch we'll probably still see a ton of 3-4 especially in the first year of the transition.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I think this move was a product of BB ultimately getting frustrated with his personnel searches for 5 techs and OLB's. The 3-4 worked for so many years because it started right off the bat essentially with the one of the best 5 techs ever in Richard Seymour, and 2 do it all LB's that fell into the BB's lap in Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel. Now he goes into the draft every year, and comes out either unsatisfied with the talent available to him, or the players he does like go way earlier than they would have before because there are so many teams running a 3-4 nowadays. After suffering through Brace, Crable, Thomas, and Burgess fiascos and having Ty Warren never turning into the end he thought he had when he let Seymour go it essentially crippled his 3-4 defense. His OLB's have so much responsibility and it's damn near impossible to find guys who can take over there.

Now who knows if they even make the switch. We've been down this road before. If they do what does it mean for guys like Spikes, Wilfork, and Deaderick who seem to be ideal fits in the 3-4? Wilfork will probably be fine and might be able to flash a little bit more in the pass rush game, but can Spikes play SLB? I think the biggest winners if they do this would obviously be Haynesworth and Guyton. I think with Guyton's speed he could be a menace at WLB.

If they do this they obviously need to get a Defensive End. Osi would be fantastic, but I'm sure BB is kicking under more rocks than that. I think BB would have loved to make draft day trades for players if he was allowed, but we certainly have the ammunition in the form of draft picks to get virtually any guy on the trading block. I think if we make the switch we'll probably still see a ton of 3-4 especially in the first year of the transition.
This+the fact we no longer have a monopoly on 3-4 players like we used to.
The effect the 3-4 had of teams having to do things so much different because very few teams ran it during the SB years is gone. Not to mention we haven't been able to get players that fit the scheme as many more teams seek the 3-4 types.

Will we abandon the 3-4? No. But It will become a sub package this year.

Heavy 4-3 is on the way I think. But the thought of seeing teams trying to run inside vs Wilfork/Haynesworth (Both who require double teams) makes me giggle.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point I'm addicted to the Patriots making risky personnel moves. Come on Bill go get Osi I need another fix!!!!!!!!
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I'm sorry. I just don't see it. Cutting Ty doesn't mean that to me.
Those are the words of a man who is obviously hurt by the release.

"It's a tough break for Ty, but we have to move on. He's missed quite a bit of time the last couple of years. We've had to deal with that anyway." - BB

That sounds more like BB thinking Warren can't stay healthy and doesn't trust him to be any more.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...entering-day-3

Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Faulk re-signed

Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I just don't understand the timing of this. I generally disliked 4-3 defenses(boring as **** compared to 3-4), but if it was the way to win I could understand. We're squeezing this into a shorter than usual time period. Not the time to overhaul the defense.

Still, you have to be excited by Haynesworth and Wilfork playing next to one another for huge stretches of a game. That's a lot of size right there. Should be very tough to run on, provided Fat Al commits himself(big if).

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not ready to suggest that the Patriots are going to move to a 4-3 base just yet - I think it would be a mistake for Bill Belichick to abandon his favored base defense in order to accommodate Albert Haynesworth, regardless of Haynesworth's willingness to play in the 3-4. No player is bigger than the system.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I'm not ready to suggest that the Patriots are going to move to a 4-3 base just yet - I think it would be a mistake for Bill Belichick to abandon his favored base defense in order to accommodate Albert Haynesworth, regardless of Haynesworth's willingness to play in the 3-4. No player is bigger than the system.
There's that too. Haynesworth better be Titans Haynesworth if we're really going all out for this. Oh, and to top it off, BB danced around it today when he was directly asked if Fat Al passed the conditioning test. He didn't practice today.

Posted this elsewhere, but I think BB's face sums up how we all feel about Merri at this point;

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

hahhahaha madd funny.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:45 PM    (permalink
monson
Rookie

monson hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.monson hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default next move?

So are the pats done? who is left?
monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

well we still need to sign our draft picks... Solder, Dowling, and Vareen. Second is finishing the deals with Matt Light and BJGE. I honestly wouldnt expect much more, except for a random cut and add for some UDFA or something. I know I would like another pass rusher, but with the possibility of a "new scheme," we may not need one. who knows lol

it would also be nice if we can finally agree to a long term deal with mankins as well

Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

1-Mankins signed long term.
2-Please, I would like a Roth or that SF OLB, forget his name