Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i thought sergio did a very solid job tonight

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've yet to see him asked to cover deep yet. I'm pretty comfortable with him against the run and on short passes, but we need a center fielder. I don't think Sergio can do that.

But yeah, outside of Brady we had some crummy quarterback play tonight. Both Hoyer and Mallet looked completely out of sync and really left a lot on the field. We're really lucky it wasn't worse than it ended up being either; they left some stuff on the field on defense too. Not a big issue, but it's one less game for Hoyer to attract a trade partner next year and it shows that Mallet has some things to work on for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that's always been his problem. His coverage isn't all that bad. Heck, sometimes it's great. He just doesn't ever make a play on the ball. So weird considering that seemed like a strength as a rookie.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The defensive fronts, movement and general aggression were fantastic. Mayo at OLB as a 4-3 rusher was pretty solid, too. He's definitely got the talent and speed to man that position and, as much as it pains me to say it, could be a lethal combination if Fat Al decides he gives a rat's ass about football this year.

Overall, let me be the first to offer the very mild buzzkill: the Bucs did NOT show up for this game. I still love what I saw from our squad, but we need to at least acknowledge the fact that Tampa's youth (youngry! lol) shined last night - in the bad way, not the good.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we were Yungrier... :D
Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol. I didn't really listen last night so I don't know if they mentioned it, but the Bucs are basically an entire team of under 25 year old players. Sapp was interviewing Raheem last week and they may have discussed it during the Buccs first preseason game (yes, I watch them all.) It was an astounding figure - something like 90% of their players are 25 or younger.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think someone said the Patriots were top 3 in the number of under 25s last season.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

We have to be pretty high on the list with the amount of young talent we've brought in over the last few years.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Mayo the pass rusher was the most interesting thing we saw last night besides Andre Carter ******** on the Bucs offensive line. That's not something I thought we would ever see from him despite how good of an athlete he is. It makes sense, I guess. My biggest knock on Mayo is that he's a bit of a compiler and not a true impact player at the position. Putting him in a position to make plays like that and use his athleticism is something that could be a real positive development for this defense.

But yeah, 8 days until the next game, less than a month away from Miami. Exciting stuff if we're going to keep playing like that!

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
We have to be pretty high on the list with the amount of young talent we've brought in over the last few years.
It's funny that people still think of the Pats as an older team.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
It's funny that people still think of the Pats as an older team.
Well, Brady is over the hill. Matt Light is done (Nate Solder may be starting though). The edge rushers are who? Vince Wilfork is "in his prime"

I think it's fair to look at this team as a very veteran team. I didn't just pick random positions. I'd say QB, LT, Edge Rusher, NT are among the top 5 positions based on positional value. There are definitely other ways to look at it, but those positions are definitely in or past their prime.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

This team is a mixed bag. The youth here is largely unproven and far as being key players go.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

The youth isn't forced to be key players, though. Guys become key players by being forced into the situation. See: Brady, Tom (2001), McCourty, Devin (2010). The Pats do a nice job of protecting their youth...possibly to a fault.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ochocinco opposite Welker in 1st-team offense

What's everyone thoughts on Ocho as a starter? As much as I love him off the field I'm wondering if he's a bit of a liability as a starter. Last season it seemed like he made it pretty difficult for Palmer because of his inconsistent route running and hands. He's lost a step and without that elite quickness it seems as if his flaws stand out more-beating press and overall lack of physicality. And his hands, once a strength, seem to be failing him more these days. Brady in yesterday's game looked similar to Palmer, imo, when he looked for Chad. You could say it's about chemistry but Palmer had been with him his whole career before looking completely out of sync with him last season. Just random thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

"Opposite Wes Welker"? He'll be opposite Branch with Welker in the slot... And Chad has to compete for the spot. There's a lot of competition at WR on this team. If he starts over those guys, he'll have done the work and be in pretty good shape for Tom Brady and the rest of the team to rely on him in big spots.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

You bring him in with the expectation of playing him on the outside. There's no one on the roster who has shown the ability to play well in that spot except maybe Price in a REALLY small sample size.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 08-19-2011, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welker obviously plays slot in 3 WR sets but I can see it being Welker and Ocho when we're there's only 2 WRs on the field

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ochocinco opposite Welker in 1st-team offense

Rotoworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

I don't see what the big deal is. If he doesn't do his job, he's not going to start. He's not their only option. If he plays the way he can and is supposed to, they'll be really well-off.

Still think Branch gets more looks, though. He's just a better fit for Brady against most defenses. Ocho is going to be good when the Pats play against teams that have physical secondaries that try to maul their smaller receivers.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

We just signed James Ihedigbo.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

worked out c.portis too

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We just signed James Ihedigbo.
Any idea when jerseys go on sale?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
worked out c.portis too
I love Portis and I think he would fit our scheme but we don't need another RB right now. It would be cool to see him in a Patriots uniform, though.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I loved Portis the 24 year old. Current Portis...not so much. He's still a pretty good scheme fit and a guy who would have been perfect in his prime or good as a veteran, Fred Taylor type signing if were weren't loaded at RB.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

there's no room for him, I agree. probably just taking an early look in case of a future emergency/injury