Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need alot more help at O-line than any of us anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
marcus cannon to the rescue at the end of the season? (hopefully)

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh man I want to be fair to him as a person and let him take a year to recover haha. He has potential but it's just going to be so tough for him to overcome everything and play at an elite level.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel pretty good about it coming together by the middle of the season...but some of this is rough, yeah.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Ouch, BB is going to be pissed.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fast don't lie. Especially against backup special teamers. But yeah, pretty ugly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So how many times can we cut a Ventrone brother? Looks like we're going on about 6 right now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Mallet really has to react better to pressure, the protection wasn't bad he just held onto the ball for way too long.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, he looked pretty damn shaky tonight and the past few weeks. You make him make more than one read when he's moving his feet and it's absolutely over.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unimpressive performance overall. But its preseason. We'll see vs Miami how much it matters.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

IF you havent read Hayneswroth's comments after last night head over to espnboston and do it. It's all hilarious and what we wanna hear from a guy like that.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, good stuff there. Saying all the right things at least. Looked like he could be an impact player last night.

But yeah, Merri is really in the dog house right now. Not starting and playing into the fourth quarter with roster fodder...

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't wait to see it. NFLN replays it tomorrow @ 4 so I'll record and watch tomorrow night.

Also, the new series "Football Life" starts the 15 with a 2 part show on BB. Can't friggin wait! The previews look awesome. He was mic'd up for the 09 season & there's apparently an entire day spend with him fishing. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else think that Lance Briggs might be a nice add if we were committed to the 4-3? Mayo SLB, Spikes MLB, Briggs WLB? Then again, he's already set to earn quite a bit of money over the last three years of his deal (I believe around $15 million but I'm in a hurry to class right now) and wants a raise. Mayo might also be better suited to WLB.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Words you'd never think Albert Haynesworth would say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Haynesworth
“You know what, when all is said and done, hell, I’d give that money back and I’d come here.”
Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Not to brag, but I said the Patriots needed an interior OL and a center badly (last off-season even). I actually had them rated as about the same level of need as a DE/DT and a DE/OLB.

Vollmer and Mankins (and probably Solder - who has impressed me) are the only 3 young and good OL this team has.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:07 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

descendency gets credit for realizing that Connolly was garbage before the rest of us did. I don't think anyone around these parts has had a kind word to say about Koppen in several years though. He's gone from being a steady average guy with the ability to elevate his game on occasion to a liability in pass protection. He does a very good job moving around and pulling still, but that's the only trick he has left.

But yeah, I'm really not all that concerned. We've entered the year with worse offensive lines on paper before and gotten by. The play NEEDS to pick up for the starters in order to prevent it from going from a non-strength to a liability. You can see a lot of rust from Mankins and Light, IMO. I'm not so concerned with Mankins, but Light just might not have it anymore.

I thought it was pretty interesting how Solder was asked to play multiple positions, sometimes on the same drives even. Long term, I think we all know he's a tackle. It just suits him very well. I'm not even really comfortable with him going up against 300+ pound defensive tackles anywhere on the interior....but he might just be an upgrade over what we've got there right now. Might not really mean anything if Light continues to play the way that he has and Solder continues to impress, but at the very least it's nice he's showing he's versatile and can provide depth at multiple positions.

The factor we're not touching on here is Marcus Cannon. I wasn't a big fan of the guy as a tackle, but he can absolutely play guard in this league provided he continues to make strides coming back from his non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I'm willing we won't see him this year...but honestly I'm alright with that. It's a pretty great move by BB to pick him, even. Guard is a need this year, but we've got enough to get by at that position at the very least. So essentially we're getting a 4 star recruit and red shirting him, getting him into the facility and absorbing the coaching and conditioning. Should be a virtual lock to win the competition for the RG spot next year.

As far as Briggs goes, if we're really committed to 4-3 he would be a great addition for a season or two. I'm just not sure we're a great fit for him. He's been a near constant problem for Chicago with his contract. Granted, the Bears are a little bit of a mess under Angelo...but still. He's not going to get what he wants here and it's a little much to change around the linebacking core this late into the season.

But yeah, two high profile rookie debuts last night; Vereen and Dowling. One good...one not so much.

Vereen did not looked conditioned or ready to play in his debut. He dealt with some real bad blocking, exposing our lack of offensive line depth and the amount of injuries we have there already, but he still did not hit the hole hard enough. I don't want to give him too much of an excuse with the blocking, but aside from being generally poor, it was pretty vanilla stuff. The Giants knew exactly where he was going on every carry. He did make a nice catch with a linebacker hung all over him. I still have high hopes for him being an impact player for us this year...but it's likely going to take a chunk of the season for that to happen. There's some CRAZY writers suggesting that he's a candidate to be cut...which is asinine.

Dowling did much better. He had solid coverage in man all game. I thought it was interesting that McCourty got thrown at early as apposed to Dowling despite the difference in stature around the league. Really did a good job playing guys at the line and positioning his body to make it tough for people to make a catch. Zone coverage was a bit of a different story. Not all his fault by the looks of it, but he did look a little stiff out there and gave up one big pass on poor coverage. The most exciting thing I saw him do all night was rush the passer. He used his combine speed VERY well on the two corner blitzes we sent him on, forcing two bad throws. We're seeing more and more of that type of stuff in the NFL with the likes of Charles Woodson and Dowling fits that profile pretty well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Final 53-man roster projection:

1. QB Tom Brady
2. QB Brian Hoyer
3. QB Ryan Mallett

4. RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
5. RB Sammy Morris
6. RB Stevan Ridley
7. RB Shane Vereen
8. RB Danny Woodhead

9. WR Deion Branch
10. WR Julian Edelman
11. WR Chad Ochocinco
12. WR Taylor Price
13. WR Matthew Slater
14. WR Wes Welker

15. TE Rob Gronkowski
16. TE Aaron Hernandez
17. TE Will Yeatman

18. OT Matt Light
19. OT Nate Solder
20. OT Sebastian Vollmer

21. OG Dan Connolly
22. OG Logan Mankins
23. OG Thomas Austin

24. C Dan Koppen
25. C Ryan Wendell

26. DT Albert Haynesworth
27. DT Kyle Love
28. DT Myron Pryor
29. DT Gerard Warren
30. DT Vince Wilfork

31. DE Mark Anderson
32. DE Andre Carter
33. DE Jermaine Cunningham
34. DE Shaun Ellis
35. DE Eric Moore

36. LB Dane Fletcher
37. LB Gary Guyton
38. LB Jerod Mayo
39. LB Rob Ninkovich
40. LB Brandon Spikes
41. LB Tracy White

42. CB Kyle Arrington
43. CB Leigh Bodden
44. CB Ras-I Dowling
45. CB Devin McCourty
46. CB Antwaun Molden

47. S Josh Barrett
48. S Sergio Brown
49. S Patrick Chung
50. S Brandon Meriweather

51. K Stephen Gostkowski
52. P Zoltan Mesko
53. LS James Dearth

Practice Squad:

1. WR Tiquan Underwood
2. TE Garrett Mills
3. TE Lee Smith
4. OT Steve Maneri
5. DT Darryl Richard
6. DE Markell Carter
7. DE Alex Silvestro
8. LB Jeff Tarpinian

PUP/IR:

1. RB Kevin Faulk
2. RB Eric Kettani
3. OT Marcus Cannon
4. OT Kyle Hix
5. DE Christian Cox
6. S Bret Lockett

Didn't make the cut:

1. WR Brandon Tate
2. OG Rich Ohrnberger
3. DT Ron Brace
4. DT Landon Cohen
5. DT Brandon Deaderick
6. DT Mike Wright
7. DE Aaron Lavarias
8. LB Niko Koutouvides
9. CB Darius Butler
10. S James Ihedigbo
11. S Ross Ventrone
Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I agree with most of those cuts. I think Maneri has a good chance to take a roster spot away from someone like Sammy Morris though. I also wouldn't count Mike Wright out. He looked pretty good last night, despite the fact he had pretty bad reviews about injuries and problems staying healthy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Didn't feel like I had too much trouble with that list. The offensive line was the toughest to finish because we just don't have a lot of good backups but at the same point we need a certain number of reserves for depth. I ended up going with Solder as the swing tackle, Thomas Austin as a guard/tackle tweener, and Ryan Wendell as the guard/center tweener. Not a big fan of Steve Maneri on the roster. Mike Wright was the only cut I had a lot of trouble with, but we have a lot of DT depth. Myron Pryor got the slight edge over him. Even as a BC/UConn fan, I'm sort of hoping Brace and Butler aren't on the final 53.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I agree with most of those cuts. I think Maneri has a good chance to take a roster spot away from someone like Sammy Morris though. I also wouldn't count Mike Wright out. He looked pretty good last night, despite the fact he had pretty bad reviews about injuries and problems staying healthy.
Yeah, I could see Wright making it over Morris or Pryor.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I also wouldn't mind cutting Eric Moore to make room for Wright. Moore looked pretty good last year but so far hasn't impressed me in preseason. Brace/Deaderick could land on PUP but I feel like that's too much of a reward for them. Ohrnberger may get the nod over Austin but I'd rather have a backup who can play a little tackle than one who can play a little center. Landon Cohen would be nice on the final roster as well, I could see him making it over Pryor/Wright.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I also wouldn't mind cutting Eric Moore to make room for Wright. Moore looked pretty good last year but so far hasn't impressed me in preseason. Brace/Deaderick could land on PUP but I feel like that's too much of a reward for them. Ohrnberger may get the nod over Austin but I'd rather have a backup who can play a little tackle than one who can play a little center. Landon Cohen would be nice on the final roster as well, I could see him making it over Pryor/Wright.
I'd like to keep Moore on the roster because I see him as the only guy who fits the mold of a RDE in the 4-3. Carter, Anderson, and Cunningham aren't world beaters against the run, and Shawn Ellis is a little old to depend on for too many reps.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carter is very good against the run, whereas Moore is terrible and gets killed on most running plays. I like Moore, but he hasn't showed much this pre season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Roster down to 72.

per Reiss;

Quote:
Linebacker Ricky Brown; offensive linemen Jonathan Compas, Mike Berry, and Corey Woods; running back Richard Medlin; defensive lineman Darryl Richard; tight end Carson Butler; and wide receiver Buddy Farnham, all longshots to make the final roster, were those released.
No real surprises there. Roster fodder.

Early word is that Butler may have already lost the roster battle to Molden. Molden has some talent, but his health issues are kind of scary. Still, it really can't get much worse than what Butler has given us.

Brace is a big time cut candidate as well, agree with ROP. I know there were 3 or 4 people here that bought into him big time, but I've just never liked what the guy has shown on the field. He has no real place in a 4-3 and really doesn't have a place in the 3-4 aside from NT....which is very much occupied.

Moore is a guy I could see cut as well. What he did at the end of last season was fairly impressive, but he's just not a full time player and the options we have now may be better.

R.I.P. Junior Seau