Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

talking to ROP, he brings up a great point, maybe Ras-I will play alot of snaps at FS?

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some other potential safety options might be Darren Sharper, Brandon McGowan. We could also see a last-minute trade similar to the Jarrad Page deal last year.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ras-I to safety is something to think about for sure....but I'm not sure it's a real good fit for him. He has the physical numbers for sure, but he's at his best in press man. Doesn't look to be a real fluid guy in zone. We'll have to see.

But yeah, I doubt we just sit on this. Someone is coming in. Shame we couldn't get something done with Goldson. Any ideas on potential names on the block? I looked it over a bit and there's not much...

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of people on Twitter are speculating that Meriweather will sign with the Jets.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets are pretty thin there...aren't they? Seems like he could fit for them. Certainly better fit for them than he was for us.

But yeah, Merri really isn't a bad player. He's just a bad player for us. That's why I'm surprised we flat out cut him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

pats were askin a 4th for brandon before he got cut.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Ras-I to safety is something to think about for sure....but I'm not sure it's a real good fit for him. He has the physical numbers for sure, but he's at his best in press man. Doesn't look to be a real fluid guy in zone. We'll have to see.
Before the draft I considered Dowling to be a FS, not a CB. I'd love to move him to FS and have Chung at SS. Chung is excellent against the run, but a liability in coverage. Dowling has supreme athletic ability and is a natural ball hawk. To me he looks like a prototypical FS.

I'm surprised that we cut Meriweather, I would have thought that we could get a fourth rounder or so in return. But I guess people around the league knew about his lack of discipline on the field, and the huge mental mistakes are pretty evident on tape.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm really surprised no one bit. He certainly won't be on the street long.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Before the draft I considered Dowling to be a FS, not a CB. I'd love to move him to FS and have Chung at SS. Chung is excellent against the run, but a liability in coverage. Dowling has supreme athletic ability and is a natural ball hawk. To me he looks like a prototypical FS.
I just flat out don't see it on tape. He tripped at the combine when he was asked to flip his hips. That was going to be a big story on him until he came out and blew up the 40 yard dash.

It would take away his biggest strength. It's also a little much to ask a guy that's been practicing for like 10 days to switch positions and make contributions right away.

It's defiantly possible, but I see a boundary corner with him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see a boundary corner as well, and I didn't mean that he should make the switch now and be a starter. But long term I'd rather have Dowling at FS and draft someone like Hosley or maybe even Janoris Jenkins next year.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess this will be the first time Meriweather is where he was supposed to be...
Old 09-03-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess this is a better place to ask my question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.I.P View Post
What's wrong with Brandon Merriweather? Does he blow coverage, or sucks in run support? Looking at his stats, and pro bowl appearances would make you think he is some all star.

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He tries to "make plays" quite a bit.

And they usually give big plays/touchdowns to the other team.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

meriweather takes horrible angles, and just isnt smart. plain and simple.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
I see a boundary corner as well, and I didn't mean that he should make the switch now and be a starter. But long term I'd rather have Dowling at FS and draft someone like Hosley or maybe even Janoris Jenkins next year.
I'm not convinced either of those two are better at corner than Dowling. Dowling is an EXTREMELY good corner. He just has a very bad injury history. If moving to safety would help his medical concerns I would be all for it...but I would like to see him get an honest shot playing opposite to McCourty before we start using more draft picks on defensive backs.

As far as Merri goes, he's a complete freelancer and refuses to change it. Sometimes it's good...but most of the time it's very bad.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

tate got cut..... expected

Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

In the end, he just wasn't a very good receiver....and the kick return thing KILLED his value. I'm much more excited about Edelman and Price going forward.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I completely agree with you, and I think he has the potential to be every bit as good a corner as McCourty. I just love his upside as a free safety as well. And I think Bodden is a pretty good corner as well. I just can't start thinking about next year's draft now. We obviously have a huge need at safety now. Do we take Robert Lester? Nick Saban is great at coaching DBs, there's the Saban-BB connection and Lester really looks the part of a NFL FS. What about TJ McDonald? BB typically don't take USC guys for whatever reason he has, but TJ has great size and some nice upside as well? Like I've already said in another thread, I like the 2012 group of safeties.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2011, 03:08 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I completely agree with you, and I think he has the potential to be every bit as good a corner as McCourty. I just love his upside as a free safety as well. And I think Bodden is a pretty good corner as well. I just can't start thinking about next year's draft now. We obviously have a huge need at safety now. Do we take Robert Lester? Nick Saban is great at coaching DBs, there's the Saban-BB connection and Lester really looks the part of a NFL FS. What about TJ McDonald? BB typically don't take USC guys for whatever reason he has, but TJ has great size and some nice upside as well? Like I've already said in another thread, I like the 2012 group of safeties.
lester is def a possibility... but i think mark barron is the perfect patriots player.... hes kind of like chung in a few ways but i think the pats would love to plug those 2 together next year

Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I'm really iffy on Barron. From what I saw last year I want no part of him. Imo he's a third rounder at best, but I wouldn't be surprised if he falls even further come draft day. He takes bad angles and doesn't have enough speed to catch receiver from the back. I think he was a mediocre player last year, but if he can regain his form from his sophomore year I might be intrigued with him.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I wouldn't want Barron. Good balls skills and such, but I don't see a guy I'm comfortable with playing centerfield. Too similar to Chung. I like Lester quite a bit though.

But yeah, I'm not exactly enthusiastic about spending more high draft picks on defensive backs. More concerned with what we're doing right now, personally. Considering we're going to be contending this year, we better find a solution to this problem quick. Makes the Sanders cut even more surprising.

Is Molden a possibility at safety? He's a guy that looks like he'll be making the team at this point, even though it's based on a small sample size. He's got the physical profile for it...and played some in college.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Shame we couldn't get something done with Goldson.
I really don't know how you guys didn't. I wonder what happened. He had said goodbye to San Fran via his twitter and came to New England for a vist.

Then he re-signs with 49ers for 1 year $2 Million.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, it really doesn't make sense. He's a Rosenhaus guy too. We usually end up getting stuff done with him. You guys must have matched what we were giving and he felt better about coming back there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bodden is the one that makes the most sense moving to safety. Dowling oposite McCourty, Arrington and Butler the nickel and dime.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't feel comfortable starting Dowling on the outside considered how little he's practiced over the summer. I think he needs another 6-8 weeks before he's ready to start. Also, I'm not sure if Bodden's a fit at safety.

Quote: