Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Adam Schefter, the Patriots have reached an agreement with Brian Waters. Who gets kicked off the roster to make room? It seems like it might have been a better idea to trade Darius Butler first, but maybe he'll just be cut instead. Jeff Tarpinian has been hurt so maybe he could land on IR.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Any practice squad predictions? This might be wishful, but here's what I'm hoping for:

1. WR Jeremy Ross
2. TE Garrett Mills
3. TE Lee Smith
4. TE Will Yeatman

5. OL Mike Berry
6. DT Darryl Richard
7. DE Markell Carter
8. DE Aaron Lavarias

Non-Patriots practice squad:

1. FB Shane Bannon (Chiefs)
2. TE Ryan Winterswyk (Falcons)
3. OG Andrew Jackson (Falcons)
4. C Tim Barnes (Ravens)
5. DT Corbin Bryant (Steelers)
6. DE Justin Trattou (Giants)
7. LB Scott Lutrus (Jaguars)
8. SS Ahmad Black (Buccaneers)
I think having 3 TE's on the practice squad is a bit excessive. The point of the practice squad is to hold onto talent that you think could eventually turn into something, or to have emergency depth. In reality you have one potential roster spot in the future for any one of those guys. Someone like Garrett Mills has been in the league for 5 years, and will be available for a call off the street if someone like Aaron Hernandez gets hurt. Otherwise he'll never be a guy who you'd have on the field over Hernandez, so I see no future value anywhere except for emergency depth. I could see both Smith and Yeatman making the PS, but I'd prefer to keep a spot open for a guy who could contribute somewhere else because I feel like the Patriots have Alge Crumpler on retainer.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the idea of having a true fullback on the practice squad. Signing Chris Gronkoski would be amazing because you can never have enough Gronks. Also I'm pretty stoked about Waters. He isn't what he once was, but I presume he still is a better player than Connolly.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:38 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Waters is a major upgrade. The majority of the Chiefs fans I've seen on the subject seem to still think that he can play. 8M for a guard on the decline just isn't worth it for Kansas City, but short money for a veteran just might be for us. He's supposedly a very good locker room guy as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you jerks! cutting Tiquan and Silvestro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everybody knows that all Rutgers players except Devin McCourty sucks... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling there will be some practice squad announcements involving them soon.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey atleast silvestro will be on our PS :) it sucks that lee smith or yeatman didnt make it and got claimed by our division rivals

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we just cut maneri and dearth and signed water and claimed LS Aiken from the Bills

Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B.Merriweather - Bears
B.Tate - Bengals
L.Smith - Bills
Yeatman - Dolphins

I'm pretty bum'd about the TE's. I was hoping one of them would end up on the PS

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

Add to that list:

Austin- Texans
Cohen- Seahawks

Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

****. I don't understand why we didn't keep Yeatman, regardless of Alge. Maybe the Dolphins will cut him again.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe we got rid of Smith, I never even thought of that as a possibility. I wanted to keep Yeatman too, I am pretty pissed about both especially since they're staying in the East.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, it kind of sucks. I don't see why we didn't burn a roster spot for Yeatman for at least a week before we signed Alge(that way his money wasn't guaranteed). Would have been a lot easier to sneak him on to the practice squad that way as well.

Lee Smith never had a shot at the practice squad with how many teams saw him kill people at the Senior Bowl.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting news of the day:

- Brian Waters is preparing to start at right guard and will wear Tedy Bruschi's #54.

- Kyle Arrington switched his number from 27 to Ty Law's #24.

- The final practice squad:

RB Eric Kettani

WR Kerry Taylor

OT Matt Kopa

OT Thomas Welch

OG Nick McDonald

DE Markell Carter

LB Aaron Lavarias

S Ross Ventrone

Notable omission: Alex Silvestro
Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Eric Kettani is a guy I'm really rooting for to become something. He was an animal in college as a lead blocker and as a ball carrier...but it's been awhile since he's played football. He's still just 24 and FB's tend to take awhile to catch on in the league, so it's possible he could still turn into something.

As far as Waters goes, really hoping he can be a good contributor and a good stop gap as we wait for Marcus Cannon to regain his health for next year. Chiefs fans rave about the guys makeup and still think he can play some. I think a reasonable expectation for him is for him to not get abused by tackles as much as Connolly was.

Pretty interesting about Arrington and 24. ESPN played some Ty Law highlights today. God he was so good. Hopefully some of that talent transfers over haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

interesting notes:

Bodden returned to practice today and should be in the lineup on Monday

Jermaine Cunningham and Vollmer both missed practice today. Vollmer did not play in the last preseason game either i believe.... so thats something we really need to keep an eye on

Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Gut feeling is that Vollmer plays. We've got an entire week before the game, unfortunately for us...but fortunate for Vollmer. Luckily, we've got pretty good depth at tackle right now and Solder should be able to man that position in a pinch.

Unfortunately, Matt Light plays either way.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So let's talk safeties some more; I think there's something of value to be added by kind of summarizing who will be manning that position opposite Patrick Chung this season just to kind of have a point to go on.

Let's start off with Josh Barrett.

Barrett is a former highly touted safety prospect who lost his way his Senior season under a new regime at Arizona State and has just never really come back from it in terms of playing his position. Dude is a physical specimen at 6'2 230 with legitimate 4.3 speed. That hasn't translated to success as a defensive back, but he's a very good special teams player and should at least be able to make an impact there. With his speed, he flashes the range to run and get to people in zone coverage, but his ball skills and awareness are questionable. One thing he does really well is deliver punishing hits. He's dealt with some injury issues, but nothing that shouldn't keep him from making contributions if he wins the job. He's still just 26 and supposedly is a high character guy. Probably more of an in the box guy in the long run...which unfortunately isn't what we need with Chung being a similar player.

Sergio Brown is more familiar to us, but let's take a moment and go in depths with what we have. The thing that jumps out to me about Sergio right away is that he's a high intensity, high effort player. Really likes to come up and hit. Besides the subjective, intangible stuff, he seems to have the makings of a pretty good player. Doesn't quite have the size/speed combination Barrett does, but at 6'2 210 with mid 4.4 speed he's certainly no slouch for the position either. He moves a bit better than Barrett laterally as well, from what I've seen. Seems to take good angles to the ball on short passes and in the running game, unlike a certain safety we recently got rid of. He's not the greatest form tackler in the world, but he weaves through traffic well and isn't afraid to take on a block if he has to. My main area of concern with him is how he'll man centerfield. I think he's more suited to it than Barrett is, but he's still largely unproved there. He has the range and agility to do it, but we just haven't seen him do it a whole ton yet. He's a smart guy and was one of the leaders of Notre Dame's defense the years he was there, so he's got that going for him as well. Seems to be a player the staff here likes quite a bit and he's probably the leading candidate to take over the other safety spot at the moment.

Antwaun Molden is a my dark horse pick in all of this. He's played CB his entire injury filled NFL career, but he actually got in quite a bit as a safety in college. At 6'1 200 with well above average speed, he's physically capable of doing in in the NFL. The book on him is that he struggles in man, but is fairly good at playing zone, so the move might suite him. We've seen former project corners turn into decent safeties before. Still, with the Texans being STARVED for quality defensive backs and the results being more bad than good while he was there, you have to wonder if it's just too much of a project for him to be successful at either position. He played just 32 defensive snaps during his tenure in Houston.

Ihedigbo is a non-factor as a starter, in my opinion. He's a quality special teamer and a good energy safety. Pretty good guy depth guy who can provide a spark as a blitzer or a run defender.

So overall, there's a lot of questions at the position. Dowling is a possibility at safety as well, but I think the staff sees him more as a corner at this point. That could possibly change if the level of play at the position warrants a change, but I think we're going to go with a combination of Barrett and Brown for at least the start of the year. The staff is high on Brown according to Mike Reiss and others, so we'll have to see if they're right. Provided he can cover well enough and not make the mistakes Merriweather did, he could well end up being an upgrade right away.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

We have another Gronkowski in tow! Dan Gronkowski will be the blocking tight end, per the twitterverse. Dan has some versatility too, he played some FB for the Broncos during his tenure there. He's not the receiver Rob is, but we don't need him to be.

The real problem is who we call Gronk now. I'm motioning for Rob to be referred to as Solid Gronk and Dan as Liquid Gronk, if you'll forgive a video game reference haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently we cut Butler to make room for the fake Gronkowski. Not sure how I feel about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Apparently we cut Butler to make room for the fake Gronkowski. Not sure how I feel about that...
It means that Butler was a mega-bust, but in this case it's addition by subtraction. The guy flat out can't play, and we got another Gronk out of the whole ordeal.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was Butler that bad? I am hoping the Raiders could claim him on Waivers

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Was Butler that bad? I am hoping the Raiders could claim him on Waivers
He's that bad. He either gets smoked or commits bad pass interference on every single play. No ball skills whatsoever either. He's got the tools to be a good CB, but technique wise he's just a mess and has only gotten worse since being here. Oakland actually might be a decent landing spot for him. You've got a former teammate of his there in Branch and you guys have done some decent things with raw defensive backs before. It's possible to fix him, but he's a long way off and it's going to be very rough if he actually has to play for anyone.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys picked up AJ Edds...is he going to be on the active roster or PS? I was surprised the Dolphins let him go, his MO is supposed to be his coverage ability.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote