Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I defiantly expected to see more screen passes this week than usual. I thought Woodhead was going to have a huge game with those.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats were running at will against the Bills (aside from BJGE's two terrible runs on the goal line where he made the same terrible read on the defense twice in a row). They should have grinded that one out to end the first half and kept going until the Bills proved they could stop it (I don't think they could).
Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They will bounce back...13 more games to get better.

Defense really needs to get its **** together. Its getting ******* riduculous that we cant stop anyone. I really think they might have trouble stopping some of the high octance college offenses at this point.

Hell, Brady had a bit of an off day going for over 300+, 3TD, 3INT, you think the defense could pick up the slack for an afternoon? My god!

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the same token; if not for a few fluky plays, the pass game marches us up and down the field every drive. Benny and Woodhead weren't finding holes and just didn't look very good. Ridley should have been fed the ball more...but most of our yards came from his runs and the reverse to Welker.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
The Pats were running at will against the Bills (aside from BJGE's two terrible runs on the goal line where he made the same terrible read on the defense twice in a row). They should have grinded that one out to end the first half and kept going until the Bills proved they could stop it (I don't think they could).
I don't really see how you came to this conclusion. The Pats only had success rushing the ball for one drive when they were leaning on Ridley, other than that and Welker's 19 yard reverse pretty much everything was contained to 1-4 yard gains. To be fair, using BJGE was completely pointless that game. They should have just primarily ran with Woodhead in stretch plays and draws, and subbed Ridley in for a WR and used 2 back sets with the option to put Woodhead into the slot (Ridley too even but I have no idea if he is a capable receiver, the Bills do this a lot with Spiller and Jackson both being on the field at the same time).
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm just shocked we didn't screen more against you guys with Woodhead. It just seems like it would have been a real good way to take some of the pressure off of Brady after those picks.

Oh, and Deion Branch was MIA today. Not saying he's a bad player or anything, but he was just gone today. Sort of sucks.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure screens would work that well, its not like there was even a pass rush to slow down. I'm not sure the Bills sent more than 4 rushers more than a couple times all day and the Bills DB's are usually really good at flushing out short routes (like on 3rd & 4 at the end of the first half when McKelvin stopped Woodhead in the redzone) and generally are fantastic open field tacklers. I think the only big yards after contact play was the crossing route to Welker where Kelsay took the wrong receiver/zone out of the bunched trips set, the only guy that ever really fell forward for decent yardage was Gronk which is to be expected with him.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I disagree with that I saw plenty of yards after the catch with both Welker and Gronk. You guys gave up plenty of yards to McFadden in the passing game last week, it would have been something worth trying with our backs.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Yards after contact, not catch. When there was a player there to make the tackle, the tackle was made.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'll take yards where I can find them haha, contact or not. If you set up a screen well enough, you don't get contact until 10 yards down the field.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Up by 21 so they decide to run the ball less. Brady has thrown 3 Int's in the span of 20 minutes so they decide to come out throwing some more. RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!
I always disagree with this. Do what works until they stop it. The first INT was a huge fluke and the second one was just poor effort on Chad's part.

It's hindsight to say they should have ran it more, IMO.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Up:
1. The OL.
I didn't see a whole lot of mistakes from them. Solders holding call was ********. They played great.

2. Stevan Ridley
Lead them team in rushing today with 44 yards on only 7 carries. Easily the best for YPC (except Welker's 1 carry for 19)

3. Welker + Gronkowski
Welker set the franchise record for receptions and Gronkowski was a few inches from catching a 3rd touchdown (and probably winning the game :/).

4. Kyle Arrington
DPotG. 2 INTs. Some decent coverage. About the only player on this defense that had a good game today.

Down:
1. BGJE, Woodhead
37 yards on 15 carries. That says it all. They were dominated today.

2. 85, Branch, and every other WR not already mentioned.
This was just embarrassing. Chad can't catch or run routes all of the sudden and Branch was totally MIA. Edelman was basically a returner today that couldn't do anything offensively.

3. The defensive line (except Wilfork)
POA. They can't hold it.

4. Devin McCourty
Holy ****... what the hell is going on out there? You can't press, bump, or catch up? This is starting to get worrisome.

----------------

Not going to blame Brady for this. I felt he had a good game actually. The INTs were mostly flukes. I'm crediting him with two INTs where he forced the ball into coverage. The others were poor routes by Chad and a great play by the LB on a fluke tip pass. It's hard not to have a bad game when half of your receivers go MIA.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Patriots_QB_12
Rookie

Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.

Bill said that he "took the time out", and that he was screaming cuz the refs were trying to "hold him back". I dont believe that, I think thats just Bill avoiding a more correct answer. Its speculated that it had something to do with the amount of time on the clock with the overruled TD.

Also, I'm hoping we sign Darren Sharper. One year deal. Why not? we worked him out, our secondary is bleeding, and we need a play maker. Hes not what he once was but its an upgrade over Barrett or Brown.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I always disagree with this. Do what works until they stop it. The first INT was a huge fluke and the second one was just poor effort on Chad's part.

Sort of. Not hindsight to say they should have run it more with Ridley when he got going. It looked like he was starting to go into beast mode.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots_QB_12 View Post
Bill said that he "took the time out", and that he was screaming cuz the refs were trying to "hold him back". I dont believe that, I think thats just Bill avoiding a more correct answer. Its speculated that it had something to do with the amount of time on the clock with the overruled TD.

Also, I'm hoping we sign Darren Sharper. One year deal. Why not? we worked him out, our secondary is bleeding, and we need a play maker. Hes not what he once was but its an upgrade over Barrett or Brown.
I don't think Darren Sharper fits. He gets some interceptions, but he makes a lot of mistakes because he focuses on that. There's a reason he bounced around the league a little bit.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Patriots_QB_12
Rookie

Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.Patriots_QB_12 could make a wolverine purr.

Barrett and brown make mistakes and don't get interceptions. If were gonna give up the yardage, at the very least we can get a couple turnovers. No doubt we have to take safety in the first round of the draft, but it's a scotch tape fix before you get a new one
Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm OK with taking a safety early. More than OK with it. They haven't shown up all year. Did a good job on Gates last week, but they've been in the wrong position a ton too. I just hope we don't need to take a corner as well with McCourty's struggles. We have major issues on that side of the ball yet again. I'm so sick of being the Colts. Actually, scratch that, the Colt's actually had a pass rush on all those bad defensive years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 06:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Oh, and the Jet's lost. Hopefully that cheers everyone up a little bit. I'm buying Buffalo as a competitive team and a factor in the division race...but I still think it's going to come down to us and them. They've got Baltimore next week as well, so that's a tough one.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

Alright after finding out that the Jets lost and getting I'm sorry the Patriots lost sex from my girlfriend I feel better.

However, it's not hindsight to say that the Patriots should have run the ball more. If you have a large lead in the second half with a hot running back it's inexcusable not to run the ball. If they start consistently stopping it you take your shots with everybody rolled up. I don't care how good your spread offense is, it's always dangerous to keep going to it when it stops working.

Brady had some bad throws on those interceptions. Things may have gone differently on a couple with some better effort from various players, but overall he was clearly pressing it. After the Chad int what is wrong with trying to run it for 3 downs. That's why you have a stable of backs like you do, that's why you gave Mankins a $50 million extension. Every game they lose is because they abandon the run and start pressing with the pass. As bad as the defense was this is the best game they've played so far and got some stops when they needed to. If they're going to win in the playoffs they need to learn how to end a game, and 90% of teams would have tried to run the ball in that situation.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

They're showing that Gronk INT again...damn. Brady really should have put some more air on that. Not often you see him make a throw at the wrong level like that. A little bit higher and with a little more depth that's either a TD or an incompletion.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

When your TE is 6'6", the ball should be at 7'5" or higher.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Are you guys excited for Denarius Moore on our secondary? I golly well know I am!

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be starting him in FF next week. That's for sure.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My brother looked at me like I was insane on Saturday when I told him the 10.5 points the Patriots were getting was a sucker's bet. I believe my words were "Our D can't stop anyone. They either force a turnover or give up points, and I'm not betting on turnovers every week."

At some point BB needs to bite the bullet and draft an upside rushbacker. 3-4, 4-3, 2 man front, or something else, it doesn't matter what formation you run, you need a guy who can rush the QB.

Stopping the passing game is pretty much non-existant in the new NFL. Spread out the D and pick the matchup. It's simple and effective, which is why everyone is doing it. The only thing that slows it is pressure and, as long as we continue to ignore that particular skill position, we'll be looking at similar "Turnover or Touchdown" DSTs here in N.E.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't arguw with anything there. It's sad to see, honestly.
I cant see us being legit contenders unless our D steps up big time.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote