Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 10-16-2011, 06:41 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that was something at the end of the game.

The defense NEEDS to tackle better though and sure enough that's the first thing BB brought up. Drastically different game with better tackling. Really turned what would have been a fantastic defensive day into a desperate one. They responded at the end though.

I'm starting to be concerned with the offense though. Poor execution going all the way back to the Buffalo game, sans the end of this one. We weren't able to get anything on first down today and it really put us in some tough spots with Dallas' ability to rush the passer. Looked like some of our playoff losses on that side of the ball.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AFC East:
Patriots
Bills
Jets
Dolphins
Old 10-16-2011, 06:58 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Giants did us a favor today. Buffalo might have played it's best football already. Still a dangerous team though and they could well hit double digit wins.

I like this team facing a little adversity. It's been too easy in recent years. Keep the challenges coming, provided we can keep overcoming them.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Monday night the Patriots should become the worlds biggest Dolphins fans:

4th straight Jets loss. The NY Media will be looking for public hangings.

Andrew Luck will move farther from Miami.

:D
Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just want to echo the Spikes talk, the guy showed up tonight and played with a ton of heart and was very aggressive. It seemed like he was unblockable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spikes = Beast

I'll agree that our tackling was ass at time but I'm liking the direction our D is heading. Better and better each weak.
Even glimpses of pass rushing ability... it's incredible.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

He hasn't done anything like that so far. Most of the games he's played for us he's sort of been a standard reactionary linebacker. Today, he was giving and delivering the punch. The entire front seven was, really. Mental errors and secondary issues really helped put a damper on that though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spikes looked ******* awesome at times today. Putting him between Wilfork and Haynesworth is insanely hard to deal with. I'd love to see them swap Mayo into that base package instead of Ninko. I think that would be quite the beastly unit.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

If NE learns to tackle and cover in the secondary, this team would be dangerous.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A concern I would have with the last few games is the amount of hits Brady is taking, and big hits at that. Our O-line really needs to do a better job of keeping him clean.

Also, how many of you jumped out of your seat when it looked like Wilfork was going to get pick number three? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I really like how the defense played aggressively, personally. We were coming at Romo at a 100 MPH. Far cry from what we've seen this year. We played with attitude and intensity. The scheme complimented it too, which is unusual. We still have fundamental problems in coverage and with tackling though...so I don't know, but we made strides this game.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
A concern I would have with the last few games is the amount of hits Brady is taking, and big hits at that. Our O-line really needs to do a better job of keeping him clean.

Also, how many of you jumped out of your seat when it looked like Wilfork was going to get pick number three? haha
Yeah, I was really hoping to go back to the sig thread for a "INT: League Leader" tag of some sort.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I really like how the defense played aggressively, personally. We were coming at Romo at a 100 MPH. Far cry from what we've seen this year. We played with attitude and intensity. The scheme complimented it too, which is unusual. We still have fundamental problems in coverage and with tackling though...so I don't know, but we made strides this game.
The DL's play was really good and the linebacker play (when they weren't botching tackles) against the run seemed really good.

There were huge mistakes in coverage (like McCourty blowing outside contain after Dez caught the ball) and just a general lack of ability to tackle.

Overall, I'd say I am cautiously optimistic that it will be awesome down the road.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tough to call Mayo a compiler after watching that display, eh?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Tough to call Mayo a compiler after watching that display, eh?
In what way? We played better without him. The tackling issues weren't on the linebackers, for the most part. I saw more plays stopped for losses of yardage and before they started than we've seen all year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
In what way? We played better without him. The tackling issues weren't on the linebackers, for the most part. I saw more plays stopped for losses of yardage and before they started than we've seen all year.
They were playing more aggressive towards the end of the game though. Fewer soft zones. If Romo's OL had held, the Patriots would have easily lost. However, I think Belichick was banking on the Cowboys taking the ball out of Romo's hands.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

There were a lot of plays that he would have gotten to and made the tackle. Or been there to finish tackles that didn't get finished yesterday.

The DL and Spikes looked great yesterday. I was fine with Ninko last year, but he's kind of worn on me. Would really like to see a legit upgrade there.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I strongly disagree that we're better without Mayo in there. Had Mayo been playing, combined with the aggressive mentality on defense, Dallas wouldn't have put up 16 points last night. And the tackling issues were just as much on the linebackers as on the defensive backs. Despite playing a very good game (I particularly enjoyed watching him steamroll Costa on a blitz) Spikes did miss some tackles, including one on a run blitz. Had he wrapped up it would've been a loss of seven or so, instead Spikes let the RB go to the right and pick up 5 yards before being gang tackled for a loss of two. If the defense didn't leave as many plays on the field they'd look a whole lot better than they do know.

I'm also with nepg on Ninko. He was fine this year, but the 4-3 really doesn't seem to suit him well. I'd rather have Guyton in there with Mayo healthy so BB can use Guyton's speed and natural playmaking ability. Guyton is probably one of the more underrated guys on our defense imo. You could say the same about Kyle Love who looks really strong at the POA.

Our offensive struggles seem to be more about timing than anything else. Some can be attributed to players missing time, others to the state of our offensive line. I'm fairly confident that most of the issues on offense will be worked out during the bye.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Oh man, I loved watching Spikes steamroll Costa. He was a freak of nature at times yesterday. It's pretty clear that in a 4-3, Spikes needs to be the Mike and I'd like to see them move Mayo, Guyton, and Fletcher around to disguise blitzes and coverages.

Spikes between those two linemen is hard for anyone to stop. We saw yesterday that this team needs to be more aggressive on defense. They have the talent. It was OK for them to play passive defense when they didn't have a lot of talent on defense, but they're one of the most talent-laden defenses in the NFL...time to be aggressive.

Last edited by nepg : 10-17-2011 at 05:04 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd just like to see us dialing up some pressure where we send both Mayo and Spikes up the a gaps. Guyton has the athleticism to cover the TE. Add to that Chung and you're pretty much covered as long as they line up in a standard formation. Unfortunatly most teams only do that when they intend to run the ball these days. I can't wait for the weather to turn cold and nasty, I think that will play to our advantage on both defense and offense.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I didn't say we were better off without Mayo. I just said we played our best game of the year without him, particularly along the front seven. He would obviously be a major upgrade over Guyton....but that still doesn't mean he doesn't get more credit than he deserves for putting up 150+ tackles a year when a whole slew of them have little to no impact on the game. Hence, I've got no issue calling him a bit of a compiler. This was supposed to be his year to step up free up in the new scheme and he's less of an impact player if anything.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 10-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I don't think I totally disagree with calling Mayo a compiler, but that's basically what NE needed yesterday. Someone who could make tackles instead of giving up another 10-15 yards. Mayo would have held them to 3-5 yards instead of 15-20.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I don't think I totally disagree with calling Mayo a compiler, but that's basically what NE needed yesterday. Someone who could make tackles instead of giving up another 10-15 yards. Mayo would have held them to 3-5 yards instead of 15-20.
And a lot of those 3-5's would have been no-gains or losses because Spikes and that DL were just blowing up plays.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is by far the worst week of the season.
Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing during Wild Card Weekend :)

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
This is by far the worst week of the season.
Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing during Wild Card Weekend :)
True, thank god the Jets aren't on bye this week. At least I can get excited about them possibly losing.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote