Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
The Pittsburgh game was an easy win for the Pats if they play defense instead of reacting. The fundamentals on defense were great, but no one strapped on a nutsack to make a play in the passing game.
While you will never get a confirmation, this game was during the "Tom Brady has an elbow injury" period. Clearly, his arm has healed or he has figured out how to manage any injury he has.

I know our defense has played badly, but I only really feel 1 of the losses this year were not the offenses fault.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I wouldn't totally toss out the Tebow yards. Some of them were just garbage, acceptable gains on third and long...but the missed tackles are super concerning and something we've seen too much of. Way too many guys going high yesterday. Slater in particular looked horrible....as did Ninkovich. Not really reasonable to expect anything else out of him, but he's out there so you have to take it into account.
I'd only worry about the run defense if Spikes and Chung don't get healthy. That game would have been completely different if you swapped out Fletcher with Spikes and Ihedigbo with Chung. Ihedigbo is squarely in the Deltha O'Neal stratosphere of suck. I can't fathom how he could play any worse. It's BB's own fault for relying on hims so much in the first half. He basically had playing shallow as a spy for Tebow, unfortunately it took him forever to read the play, and that allowed the Broncos to capitalize with 30 yard gains. Say what you want about Chung's pass coverage, but he's a boss at making up ground and cleaning up anyone who's about to break one off. Those 2 won't help the pass defense all that much, but getting one of those safeties replaced with Chung will pay huge dividends if he's able to come back.

Also, is it annoying anyone else that we still seem hell bent on wasting 5 or so plays a game by dragging Kevin Faulk's carcass around the field on offense? I mean we have 3 backs who are obviously more capable than him at this point, yet we still keep using him. The only time he should be in is if Brady is literally getting killed by an opponents pass rush. He's slow as Brady at this point, and his receiving skills seem to have disappeared. He's killed multiple drives the past couple of weeks, and it's really annoying since they can't get enough touches for Ridley, Woodhead, or BJGE who are all more useful at this point.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do agree that having Chung back improves the tackling on the back end dramatically.... unfortunately it probably doesn't force Ihediblow out of the lineup due to the lack of another guy there. We're comfortable with him sucking, for whatever reason. Even though Sergio sucks badly too, I would honestly prefer him in there. At the very least, he's touched the football once or twice this year.

The Faulk thing is rather maddening. I LOVE the guy and would want to offer him a slot on the coaching staff on the spot...but it clearly just isn't happening anymore. Every play he's in there is a play that takes time away from someone more capable. The one thing he's still able to do is pass block...but he's actually done very little of that this year anyway. It's really time for him to move on to the next chapter.

Oh...and is anyone else mad that we blew our load on Mayo this quickly? I'm not mad we locked him up; that's a somewhat decent move locking him down for a while for under market value. We probably paid too much for a guy who is a pure tackler, but compared to some of the other moves we've made with draft picks and contracts, I can live with it. But yeah, that's not the point. We've never negotiated contracts with guys early before. It just seems odd to do something like this with him as opposed to locking up someone like Gronk or Mankins back in the day. I suppose it's never to early to turn over a new lead with regards to things like this, but I will seriously question the resource allocation if Gronk becomes a problem in a few years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know I was just going to say it was an ok deal all things considered, but then I looked up the details: 5 years $50 million!! That is a hell of a lot of money for a guy who definitely isn't worth that much. I mean why is it when we lock guys up early, they're the middling guys like Ty Warren or Mayo? It's killing me to watch this defense this year and look at the dead money we have going to Warren, Bodden, and TBC the next few years while Asante and Seymour have been playing at pro bowl levels the last few years. It's not like we have anybody on that side of the ball who is going to be worth any kind of money anytime soon, so at least we have that going for us (or I guess not really going for us).

Luckily in the Gronk situation it works out that we can franchise him for as long as we need to basically, because the franchise number for TE's is nowhere near his actual value to us. The number this year was $7.3 million. That is 2 years down the road anyways.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, that's a lot more than a thought. You don't pay 10M a year for a player like Mayo. If we were getting him for 5 or 6 a year I could buy doing that, but that's a ton of change.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot more than a thought. You don't pay 10M a year for a player like Mayo. If we were getting him for 5 or 6 a year I could buy doing that, but that's a ton of change.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...nsion-pay-him/

Yeah it's a lot I was shocked when I read it. He's making as much as Willis is.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

To be honest, I hadn't seen the terms yet as I got wrapped up in the games yesterday. I figured it would be less than that as that's what the reporting was making it sound like. That's basically the Beason deal, which was god awful for the Panthers, with a bit more guaranteed money. You don't pay any MLB that kind of money. Not even Patrick Willis. Maybe P-Willie, but if I was a GM I would be tempted to just let him walk for that. Ridiculous, especially with the salary cap dropping in the new CBA.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So right now were first in the AFC.

What the ****? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's weird. This is the worst team we've had here in a bit, but we might have the easiest road we've had in awhile too. You've got to hope the Jets get knocked out though. It's hard to beat a team 3 times in a season, let alone in an intense rivalry where anything can happen.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have very serious doubts that we would lose to the Jets back to back years in the playoffs, at home no less. No way BB doesn't get us ready to play if that were to happen. Either way, I still am scared to even think about the playoffs at this point, I just don't think things will go well for us.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I think fans have gotten too worried. If this team goes 1 and done again, I'd agree that they need to make some changes, but getting two #1 seeds in a row is no minor accomplishment.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the Jets making the playoffs...
Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I have very serious doubts that we would lose to the Jets back to back years in the playoffs, at home no less. No way BB doesn't get us ready to play if that were to happen. Either way, I still am scared to even think about the playoffs at this point, I just don't think things will go well for us.
The two, possibly three, teams I am scared of in the playoffs are all more than capable of laying an absolute egg on offense. Sure our defense sucks but if Big Ben is hurting, Cam Cameron is devising a master gameplan that doesn't include Ray Rice and Sanchez is...well...Sanchez then we should win against any of them.

This should be the easiest AFC for any team to win in the last 4 or 5 years.

Say the Jets sneak in at the 6 seed they would play Houston. My money's on Houston. QBs kinda cancel each other out and the Texans have the better overall team.

Pittsburgh then play Denver. I don't see Pittsburgh's defense letting Tebow run wild and they win a relatively low scoring game.

Then the Pats would get the Steelers in Foxboro against a hobbled Big Ben with no rest. It would no doubt be a tough game but I would expect the offense to be a lot better than the previous game at Heinz field.

Houston and Baltimore then play. Kinda on the fence on this one. I don't trust Flacco and the Texans run D is really good. Then again I don't trust Yates and the Ravens run D is really good

Then you're in the AFC Championship game against the winner. Pats would probably be favourites the whole way to the SB if they got that far.

It's right to be worried about our defense in the playoffs. But all the other AFC teams have major worries and only the Steelers have a QB who is even near the same stratosphere as Brady and he's playing on one leg.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Totally disagree with most of you about Mayo. I completely believe he's worth that. Just because he isn't star studded with picks and sacks doesn't devalue him. His play allows others to make plays like that, and he is as consistent and reliable a LB as you can get.

Playoffs wise, its good to see we likely are going to wrap up the #1 seed now. I don't think we go 1 and done this year and I think we at least make the AFC championship. I dread the thought of what Brees or Rodgers would do to us in the SB though, although I think we could keep up. Be a nice shootout SB.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
Totally disagree with most of you about Mayo. I completely believe he's worth that. Just because he isn't star studded with picks and sacks doesn't devalue him. His play allows others to make plays like that, and he is as consistent and reliable a LB as you can get.

Playoffs wise, its good to see we likely are going to wrap up the #1 seed now. I don't think we go 1 and done this year and I think we at least make the AFC championship. I dread the thought of what Brees or Rodgers would do to us in the SB though, although I think we could keep up. Be a nice shootout SB.
If I was a betting man I would say it will be the Saints in the Superbowl. Especially if GB don't get some O-linemen back. I also like the Patriots chances better against the Packers. Kyle Orton marched up and down on them. Sure they couldn't punch it in enough but they were inside the Packers 5 yard line four times I believe. The Saints look like the best team in football at the minute

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If I was a betting man I would say it will be the Saints in the Superbowl. Especially if GB don't get some O-linemen back. I also like the Patriots chances better against the Packers. Kyle Orton marched up and down on them. Sure they couldn't punch it in enough but they were inside the Packers 5 yard line four times I believe. The Saints look like the best team in football at the minute
I agree, but the Saints have laid some major eggs this year. We might actually have a shot this year if we can play even poor defense (up from pathetic).
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:

Yeah I don't want to even think about what Rodgers or Brees would do to us if we somehow managed to get to the SB.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
We're paying him ten million dollars a year. That's Patrick Willis money. Mayo is absolutely not Patrick Willis, who might not be worth that anyway. If he allows other to make plays...where are they? I certainly haven't seen them throughout his entire tenure here. You don't pay 50M to a linebacker for consistent and reliable. You can get that for 5M a year. You pay that to a Ray Lewis type super star, and Mayo isn't even in that conversation. That's ridiculous money for a steady player. He's a similar player to DJ Williams(actually, DJ Williams might be slightly more valuable), who makes all of 5.3M a year...and he signed a deal when the salary cap was higher. Just a real crappy contract and something that well could bite us in the ass, especially if Mayo's knees continue to give him problems. Paying for a guy who just tackles is about as bad as it gets, even... especially considering you can find guys who can do that in the draft and free agency for cheap.

As far as playoff scenarios go, I think we'll win out against Miami and Buffalo, although those two are capable of giving us a decent game. As I mentioned, I really prefer for the Jets to be out of the picture. Historically, it's been very tough to beat a team three times in the same year....and even though they don't scare me from an X's and O's perspective, they've shown that they're capable of winning when it counts. Jvig said it's hard to imagine us losing to the Jet's in the playoffs two straight years...and I would agree with him...except I had a hard time imagining us losing to them with a bye last year. Funny things can happen in these games. Have to be careful with them.

Pittsburgh is still a real tough matchup for us, even with the success we've had in years past. They can spread you out better than just about anyone in the league. Big Ben's health bears watching going forward, but I just don't think we match up well with them defensively at all. They were able to disrupt what we were able to do on offense the last time we met as well, which is certainly an interesting development in this entire thing. Remains to be seen if they can do it again, but it's something that we can't afford to have happen.

Baltimore will be a tough out as well. There's some major bouts of inconsistency there and in the end I don't think Joe Flacco has what it takes to be the type of quarterback to win a Super Bowl...but the rest of the team around him is as good as it gets in the AFC. They've got a lot of guys to throw the ball too, even if none of them are dominant players. Our inability to stop the rush doesn't play well with Ray Rice either. Hard to forget him ripping us up in that playoff game a few years ago.

The other teams don't really scare me that much. We SHOULD be able to handle pretty much anyone else who gets in fairly comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Personally, I think fans have gotten too worried. If this team goes 1 and done again, I'd agree that they need to make some changes, but getting two #1 seeds in a row is no minor accomplishment.
Certainly not, but we've seen with this group of players that winning in the regular season doesn't equate to post-season success. I said before the start of the season that it's a playoff win or bust. Everything else to this point doesn't matter; it's time to make a run. Anything less is a serious disappointment.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 12-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't see the Jets making the playoffs...
If the Jets lose and the Bengals win, the Jets are eliminated. The Bengals are playing the Cardinals the Jets are playing the Texans.

I'd say the odds of that happening are 50%.

edit: And that's only 1 scenario that causes the Jets to miss out. They need to win both of their games to have a reasonable shot because they own none of the tiebreakers.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If the Jets lose and the Bengals win, the Jets are eliminated. The Bengals are playing the Cardinals the Jets are playing the Texans.

I'd say the odds of that happening are 50%.

edit: And that's only 1 scenario that causes the Jets to miss out. They need to win both of their games to have a reasonable shot because they own none of the tiebreakers.
Also, if the titans win out and the jets drop the giants game and the bengals lose one the titans get the 6 seed.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

The Jets are playing the Giants, not the Texans. Actually, the Jets need to lose both for the Bengals to be in according to ESPN's playoff predictor.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The Jets are playing the Giants, not the Texans. Actually, the Jets need to lose both for the Bengals to be in according to ESPN's playoff predictor.
Weird, I have the Jets losing to the giants and the bengals winning out and the Bengals get in on the playoff calculator.

Also if the jets lose the giants and the bengals lose week 17 the titans would get in if they beat houston
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Baltimore will be playing for a home playoff game and a first round bye against the Bengals. That's no layup for Cincinnati.

The Jets are completely capable of beating the Giants too, they really looked like dog **** against Washington on Sunday. It's a 50/50 thing, but they've got a real shot at getting in. There's a scenario where Oakland gets in as well by winning out against Kansas City and San Diego and the Jets dropping one. The Chargers still have a shot if the win out and the Bengals lose as well, although they'll be dealing with a tougher draw with Detroit this weekend.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 12-20-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Baltimore will be playing for a home playoff game and a first round bye against the Bengals. That's no layup for Cincinnati.

The Jets are completely capable of beating the Giants too, they really looked like dog **** against Washington on Sunday. It's a 50/50 thing, but they've got a real shot at getting in. There's a scenario where Oakland gets in as well by winning out against Kansas City and San Diego and the Jets dropping one. The Chargers still have a shot if the win out and the Bengals lose as well, although they'll be dealing with a tougher draw with Detroit this weekend.
Yeah I'm not counting on the Bengals getting in, can't see them beating BAL week 17. I actually think the Titans get in. Don't see NYJ beating the Giants and think the Titans will win out. Wouldn't it be great to play the Titans in the divisional game? lol.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I don't care who fills that 6th seed. I'm hoping so bad that the Texans win their first round matchup because I'd love to have the Steelers or Broncos for the first game of the playoffs. Big Ben is hobbled and Tiny Tim... well, we saw that already.