Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Without gronk we have no shot, plain and simple.
Our Only Hope.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense line needs to stop playing bad.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Solder gets beat so bad, so often. Idk why we continue to sing his praises. He plays well in large chunks, but is way too inconsistent to be garnering that type of hype. The guy is mediocre. And the injuries are just going to be our complete undoing. I'm not sure I have ever seen a Pats team this resilient and with this much fight, but I just think at some point its gotta catch up to us. Weve had a LOT of lucky wins. Gronk out, hello beginning of the year offense all over again, maybe worse without Dobson and Thompkins (and that tells you how bad it is when they are an upgrade over what we currently have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dobson was coming on but yeah there's not a lot to be excited about right now. Vereen is going to need to carry the offense unless Ridley can get back in the good books.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have rarely ever felt the kind of utter detestation that I feel towards TJ Ward right now. I'm usually ok with a DB going low on a bigger player if he's squared up, or if his only option to bring someone down from the angle they're at is by diving. In Ward's case neither of those were true. He had a full head of steam behind him, and a wrap and drag tackle was the most natural route to go. What he did was utterly gutless and a disgrace to the game.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see it as that big of a deal. Idk what we expect DBs to do at this point, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Idk just don't think he did it with any purposeful intent to hurt Gronk. What are you gonna do.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 03:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah i'm kinda in 2 minds about the whole thing. Part of me wants to go all JMike and start calling him a ***** for going low, but a bigger part of me realises that it's what happens in today's NFL. Can't touch a QB below the knees in case this happens but you can rocket into a guy's planted leg at full speed if he runs a route. Reason being is players are coming back from ACLs all more efficiently these days and it won't cost the NFL in 20 years. But losing a guy like Brady or Manning for a season could likely cost more in terms of revenue gained that year.

Really, I am in favor of reducing concussions and head hunting but something needs to be done about tackling. What Ward done was completely within the rules and can actually be considered smart. Hell if more than 80% of DBs try to form tackle Gronk it's going for another 10 yards before he's down. But that's in part becuase the don't practice form tackling. It's all about launching for a big hit.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

And, I'm sick and tired of the people saying at full speed you can't aim for the strikezone when tackling, because there is about 5 and a half feet between Gronk's knees and his head. And when you watch the play he doesn't lower into contact. He is caught prone standing up

Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the Pollard hit was far more egregious as he actually twisted once Gronk was down (or on the way down.) But we're going to see far more of these injuries in the future. And with the way Gronk plays and the attention he gets from defenses, I have to wonder if he can ever play a full season without getting hurt. We're going to need three capable tight ends with how the offense is designed.

But injuries have decimated this team. How they keep winning and the way the keep winning - while totally mind blowing -isn't sustainable, especially with the way the defense is playing. I mean, yes Josh Gordon is beast, but when Cleveland of all teams marches effortlessly up and down the field you have problems. On the other side of the ball if the O-line keeps playing the way it is Brady is next on the chopping block.

My prediction is we lose at least one of our remaining games (Ravens) and end up playing KC in the wild card round. The Ravens will be the 6th seed, they knock of the Colts then head for Denver. We might can beat KC, then head to Cincy where we probably lose.

Last edited by Blackluck : 12-09-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
I thought the Pollard hit was far more egregious as he actually twisted once Gronk was down (or on the way down.) But we're going to see far more of these injuries in the future. And with the way Gronk plays and the attention he gets from defenses, I have to wonder if he can ever play a full season without getting hurt. We're going to need three capable tight ends with how the offense is designed.

But injuries have decimated this team. How they keep winning and the way the keep winning - while totally mind blowing -isn't sustainable, especially with the way the defense is playing. I mean, yes Josh Gordon is beast, but when Cleveland of all teams marches effortlessly up and down the field you have problems. On the other side of the ball if the O-line keeps playing the way it is Brady is next on the chopping block.

My prediction is we lose at least one of our remaining games (Ravens) and end up playing KC in the wild card round. The Ravens will be the 6th seed, they knock of the Colts then head for Denver. We might can beat KC, then head to Cincy where we probably lose.
The thing with the AFC as it is shaping up though, with the exception of the Broncos you could play any team and it could go either way. The Chiefs could get in a hole and not get out. The Colts are so Jekyll and Hyde. The Bengals go as far as Dalton leads them. Anyone confident in that? The Ravens shouldn't threaten with their bad defense and horrendous run game.

In saying that, if the Pats get in a hole at halftime in the playoffs it's probably over against any of those teams.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure I agree with that - the way this season has gone any team can lose to any other team. Games are totally unpredictable this year. Which doesn't stop me from making them anyway. I'm almost always wrong though lol.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Ha, yeah me too.

Realistically it isn't out of the question for the Pats to make the Superbowl and conceivably I can see it happening.

If they get the #2 seed they get the bye in the playoffs and then would play the Bengals, Colts or Chiefs at home. Any of those are definitely winnable games, because while the Pats are a flawed team, those teams are equally flawed or perhaps even moreso.

Then they would likely get the Broncos in Mile High. It has been flogged to death and maybe a bit overstated now, but Manning in the playoffs is never a sure thing, especially considering what happens in the next few weeks they may need to shut Welker down with concussions.

So, it isn't a ridiculous statement to say the Pats could make the Superbowl, however I don't think they can win it. Even if they play at their peak I don't see them beating the top 3 or 4 teams in the NFC. The only chance would be if a team like Green Bay gets in, Rodgers gets hot throughout the playoffs then plays poorly in the Superbowl.

Seattle and SF are horrible matchups for the Pats.
The Saints will be out for revenge and can beat us in a shootout.
The Panthers and Cardinals have very good defensive lines and our offensive line has sucked all year.

Really, right now the only NFC teams I would feel confident in beating are Green Bay, Detroit, Philadelphia and Dallas and realistically none of those teams look like making the Superbowl

Old 12-09-2013, 06:51 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Also, not sure it's a good sign that Josh Boyce played more snaps than Amendola yesterday. Could be a scheme thing but I am pretty sure a lot of Pats fans were excited at the start of the year by Amendola's ability to play inside and out. If he can't play outside and is clearly behind Edelman on the inside what value is he adding?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yesterday was the first time I saw Boyce on the field where he looked like he had the 4.3 speed his combine time said. That is an encouraging sign for an offense that is going to need some big plays with Gronk out and things not looking great for Dobson.

I also loved how we ran that onside kick. That was brilliantly designed and executed. Seeing as how most teams botch the majority of their attempts, major kudos need to go to Ghost on that one.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 12-09-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Yesterday was the first time I saw Boyce on the field where he looked like he had the 4.3 speed his combine time said. That is an encouraging sign for an offense that is going to need some big plays with Gronk out and things not looking great for Dobson.

I also loved how we ran that onside kick. That was brilliantly designed and executed. Seeing as how most teams botch the majority of their attempts, major kudos need to go to Ghost on that one.
Yeah after a so-so year last year he has been so damn good this year. Should be all-pro kicker but that will go to Prater

Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Also, not sure it's a good sign that Josh Boyce played more snaps than Amendola yesterday. Could be a scheme thing but I am pretty sure a lot of Pats fans were excited at the start of the year by Amendola's ability to play inside and out. If he can't play outside and is clearly behind Edelman on the inside what value is he adding?
To be honest, I suspect that if we were to review Edelman's contributions out of the slot this year they'd actually be pretty poor. He has a lot of catches, but if you look at his catch distribution he has a few long catches out of the x receiver position that have helped his average. In terms of short to intermediate type passes out of the slot I don't feel like he's been particularly elusive, nor has he found a way to get himself open with the opportunity to run after the catch. I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that Edelman has excelled out of the slot this year when it's really more about just playing the overall position better.

Edit* I wasn't implying that you were saying that, more just the general atmosphere around the interwebs.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 12-09-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have sad.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-gronkowski/

Were done.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

It just had to be both didn't it???

I really don't think he will be good to go for the start of next year.

A guy Gronk's size will take longer to heal properly than someone like Peterson or Welker.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sucks.

Feed Moncrief
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

We need to start even wondering if keeping Gronk on the field is ever going to be a possibility. I know people come back from ACL's but this is seriously getting out of hand with how many injuries the guy gets.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

He can't stay healthy. The back was the concern coming out of college for him, but he can't seem to catch a break. I think it is more than bad luck. The way he plays just takes a toll on him, people are going to continue to go low on him just because he is so big. As sad as it is I think it is a serious concern that he will never be able to stay on the field, and it really does pain me to say that.

Feed Moncrief
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Yeah I don't buy the injury prone label with him, but his injuries seem more of a direct result of his play style, arm injury withstanding which is just horrendous luck.

You look at this one and the ankle he got 2 years ago and it is because guys have to go low on him to get him down.

It's a sad situation, but I don't know if he will ever play a full season again and he's only 24

Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

We're a 10-3 team without a single strength to our game. Without Gronk and Vollmer/Cannon we have little in the form of a power running game, The Gronk and Dobson injuries have shut down our ability to go deep, the Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo injuries have killed our ability to stop the run, and both Talib and Dennard are playing hurt right now which had led to an erosion in our secondary and is forcing us to play zone.

We have one thing going for us right now and that is Shane Vereen. God this sucks.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

It is ridiculous we are 10-3 at the minute. With the exception of Brady, Gostkowski and McCourty I don't think we have one player at any position that is playing like a top 10 or 15 player at his position. Our talent level right now is horrendous.

Guys like Talib, Chandler, Dennard, Solder, Vereen etc have the ability to really play at a high level but aren't doing it on a consistent basis. Vereen has been pretty good since coming back from injury in fairness.

It is frightening to think that our best players on offense and defense this year have been Julian Edelman and Nink!!! Let that sink in when we are expected to go up against the Broncos or Seahawks etc and all their talent