Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Soooooo,

Apparently Brandon Spikes is playing through a knee ligament tear that is going to require offseason surgery. Major props to that guy for not shutting it down on the verge of the most important financial negotiation of his life. I can't believe we're probably going to let this guy walk.
I absolutely love Spikes but I don't see any way we can legitimately resign him. We will have limited cap room and he is competing against guys like Edelman and Talib for a contract.

Now, I would take Spikes over Edelman even with how well he has played this year, but not Talib.

Unless they can work some sort of cap magic with long term deals for McCourty etc then I don't see him back. Even at that, I am not a big fan of pushing cap hits to later years, just look at Pittsburgh

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I absolutely love Spikes but I don't see any way we can legitimately resign him. We will have limited cap room and he is competing against guys like Edelman and Talib for a contract.

Now, I would take Spikes over Edelman even with how well he has played this year, but not Talib.

Unless they can work some sort of cap magic with long term deals for McCourty etc then I don't see him back. Even at that, I am not a big fan of pushing cap hits to later years, just look at Pittsburgh
I think we have some more of Siliga to see, but I've really liked the way he's been playing for us. I'm trying not to get too high on him like I did with Chris Jones, but he's honestly playing better for us than Wilfork did the first few games of the season. If he keeps this up through the playoffs then I definitely think we have to keep the Wilfork option open.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So are we resigning Collie now that Dobson is dead again lol. I really wish we had a WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we have some more of Siliga to see, but I've really liked the way he's been playing for us. I'm trying not to get too high on him like I did with Chris Jones, but he's honestly playing better for us than Wilfork did the first few games of the season. If he keeps this up through the playoffs then I definitely think we have to keep the Wilfork option open.
Not trying to go overboard with the hyperbole here but Siliga may have been our best defensive player the past 3 weeks or so.

The Wilfork option definitely has to be open but it will be such a tough move to make. Although, the biggest thing would be a fan backlash and Belichick has shown before he doesn't really care about that. From a pure football perspective Vince hasn't been worth his contract recently. In saying that, can we be confident with what we have?

Also, I'm actually still impressed with Jones. He does struggle at times at the initial point of contact and he is still playing too many snaps, but I think he is a guy who could be a perfect fit in that Mike Wright role

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can get a good rotation going for the DL a current weakness can turn into a strength. We also don't know what we have in Armstad.

In other news McDaniels has been given permission to interview with the Browns. A little surprised, but there is the Lombardi relationship. I do like him as OC.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he stays. I don't see that being a good job for him, and it'd really suck to have to find another OC at this point. The Pats were lucky he was available when BOB left.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy new year you guys!!!

<3 you all!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just wanted to say that based on what he's done so far, Sealver Siliga is the truth.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Looking through some of the snap counts for players recently what worries me the most is the amount of snaps Chandler Jones and Nink are playing. They now own the #1 and #2 snap counts for defenders in history I believe.

We gotta hope Buchanan develops and helps the rotation and we get rid of Bequette. I see no reason why he takes up a roster spot. He basically has handicapped the Pats one player each year.

With the amount of needs we have it is worrying that we will also need to find a rotational pass rusher next year.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'll just bring Andre Carter back again.

I'm so glad the Pats don't play this weekend.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the answer to the DE question lies on our roster already. Hightower and Collins both have DE size and Beauharnais/Fletcher were both accomplished pass rushers in college with their hands in the dirt.

With Mayo back and maybe some progression from Ebner/Wilson/Harmon/Ryan in a money type role I think we'll be able to mix up the DE spot better next season.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I think the answer to the DE question lies on our roster already. Hightower and Collins both have DE size and Beauharnais/Fletcher were both accomplished pass rushers in college with their hands in the dirt.

With Mayo back and maybe some progression from Ebner/Wilson/Harmon/Ryan in a money type role I think we'll be able to mix up the DE spot better next season.
That would be the hope. With a full compliment of guys you have experience rushing and setting the edge.

I would like to see more examples in a 34 base with Chandler, Nink, Collins and Hightower on the field at the same time. Really, the only one without much experience dropping is Jones, who in a pinch could also play 5 technique and keep Mayo there, who is also a really good blitzer.

I want to see more pass rushing opportunities for Collins. I really think this guy could be a stud.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Collins has impressed me, especially as a pretty anti collins guy coming in when we drafted him.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Looking through some of the snap counts for players recently what worries me the most is the amount of snaps Chandler Jones and Nink are playing. They now own the #1 and #2 snap counts for defenders in history I believe.

We gotta hope Buchanan develops and helps the rotation and we get rid of Bequette. I see no reason why he takes up a roster spot. He basically has handicapped the Pats one player each year.

With the amount of needs we have it is worrying that we will also need to find a rotational pass rusher next year.
Where do you go to get snap count stats?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also Boyce is out for the playoffs and they resigned Austin Collie for the third time this season.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Where do you go to get snap count stats?
Mike Reiss from ESPN listed them on a weekly basis then recapped at the end of the season. Also, PFF noted it too.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

So Colts or Bengals. Idk who I prefer at the moment. Colts may have just won a game that gives them momentum heading into the playoffs. Yes I believe in momentum at times.....

Quote:
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colts have beaten some very good teams this year. They have a better shot than SD of beating Denver (again) in order to have the AFCC game here. Which means we would have to beat both Cincy and them - seems unlikely to me, but then again the way NE has played and won this year has seemed unlikely :)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I'm not sure who I would rather face. Really, there are some realistic scenarios where we would win rather easily but all these teams are wildly inconsistent. Then again, they have shown the ability to play terrific football when they are good. The Pats best chance of to play consistently on both sides because they don't have the players to get out of a hole anymore

Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
So Colts or Bengals. Idk who I prefer at the moment. Colts may have just won a game that gives them momentum heading into the playoffs. Yes I believe in momentum at times.....
Colts.

Bob Sutton is a ******. I have at least a bit of confidence that Belichick wouldn't let his safeties cover the only offensive player worth a crap on the Colts roster (not inc. Luck). I'm also confident that he'd make adjustments that Bob Sutton hasn't made all season.

The Colts are a team that the Patriots are capable of rolling. The Bengals would require the Bengals to kind of throw the game away a bit for the Patriots to win.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Soooo the Colts eh?

On paper they're even less talented than us, even after all the injuries. No excuse to not take this one at home.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that this is probably the best matchup for the Patriots. However, here are some concerns I have:

1. Andrew Luck's ability to break contain and buy time for receivers to separate deep

2. The butt-kicking T.Y. Hilton gave Aqib Talib when Talib first joined the Patriots

3. Coby Fleener's combination of size/athleticism presenting a mismatch for most defenders

4. Whether or not the Patriots can take advantage of the Colts' weak interior offensive line

5. The potential difficulties Robert Mathis could cause, even against Nate Solder
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I'd probably press Hilton with Ryan and roll McCourty over to Hilton's side. Probably not what BB does, but I think the combination of Ryan's physical press and McCourty's range deep could completely take Hilton out of the game.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'd probably press Hilton with Ryan and roll McCourty over to Hilton's side. Probably not what BB does, but I think the combination of Ryan's physical press and McCourty's range deep could completely take Hilton out of the game.
I think we're going to see Arrington on Hilton like the Patriots did with Mike Wallace this year, although I wouldn't be surprised if McCourty gave him help over the top like you mentioned. I think Talib shadowing Fleener would be a solid idea, just to prevent someone like Hightower from being used for that purpose.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Hilton is literally the only player they have to account for.