Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They have successfully sucked me back into the season. After the Miami loss I basically conceded defeat, but the unknowns of Collins, Siliga, Cannon, Blount, and Ryan have basically played out of their minds for the last month. To the point where they've looked like Pro Bowlers. I know it's a house of cards, but I'm starting to think we may not lack as much talent as I thought we did.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive been saying this all season so apologies for some broken record posts but I don't think anything has changed but were overlooking it because were winning- The wr situation. I'm sorry but I don't trust any of these guys to make plays if we need them to for us in big games like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Harris has a torn ACL, that can do nothing but help us.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So are we thinking we'll be utlizing the run heavily like our previous three games or change it up a bit? While Denver did an outstanding job defending the run against SD, I can't help but think thats in large part due to SD's transparency with what they were doing. With all the emergence of our run game, does Denver key in on stopping the run first, and if so do we still attempt to run it at them? Really hoping this doesn't turn into one of those frustrating "wtf is this gameplan McDaniels" type of days.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blount, Ridley, and Vereen aren't Ronnie Brown and Danny Woodhead. We're going to live and die this season based on how we run the football. I don't think we'll have the same kind of success running between the tackles this game with Vickerson and Knighton there, as we will running stretch plays. We killed Denver last year attacking the edges. I think it will be better running for Ridley than Blount. I think Ihenacho is horrible and Adams isn't much better. If we can get them thinking run, then there might be some big shots for our horrible receivers down the field like last game.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Chris Harris has a torn ACL, that can do nothing but help us.
I felt bad about fist pumping to that news lol

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

What is the deal with Vereen on those wheel routes? I swear he's dropped at least 4 wide open ones this season. It has to be a technique issue, but if they're going to keep calling them, I'd have to imagine that he should be staying after practice just focusing on catching that route.

It's getting to the point of the season where him catching that pass is going to be make or break.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
What is the deal with Vereen on those wheel routes? I swear he's dropped at least 4 wide open ones this season. It has to be a technique issue, but if they're going to keep calling them, I'd have to imagine that he should be staying after practice just focusing on catching that route.

It's getting to the point of the season where him catching that pass is going to be make or break.
He's struggled with the wrist injury all year. He still has a pretty bulky wrap on it. That's definitely affecting him in the passing game.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah I don't know what it is at this point but I remember watching it and thinking "of course he ******* drops it"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
He's struggled with the wrist injury all year. He still has a pretty bulky wrap on it. That's definitely affecting him in the passing game.
It doesn't seem to be affecting him on those quick arrows routes or quick outs where the ball is coming more quickly and he has less time to react. I just think it's either a concentration or a technique issue.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always find it interesting when people talk about bulletin board material and the Pats are famous for their abilities to turn any type of perceived slight into an advantage. Well the Broncos have started already. I wonder how many of these quotes find their way onto the walls in Foxboro this week?

Mike Adams - "They’ve got a couple of good backs -- [Stevan] Ridley and the other guy. They had some fumbling problems, but other than that, they’re all good backs."

If I was the Pats RB coach I would be drilling that last sentence into all the RBs heads, saying these guys think you fumble too much. What are you going to do about it? I would also call Shane Vereen out and say this guy doesn't even know your name!!! - Note, he was talking about Vereen because he mentioned about the gameplan to stop Blount earlier in the conversation.

Mike Adams (again) talking about Edelman and Welker - "I can't compare the two because Wes is -- he's something special...He doesn't have the same ability or the quickness that Wes has in the slot."

As for Edelman, I would directly challenge him to show the Broncos secondary what he can do

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This match up is basically the anti-Colts. Indy was weak in areas that made the game a feast for us (INTs and Rush D) and Denver is the polar opposite. The only positive I can take is that we dropped so many points on the Colts that it appears we can still keep up with Denver on the scoreboard. The season still looks like the very obvious Seattle / Denver match up is inevitable. Any given Sunday, obviously, but There are clearly two teams that are consistently better than any others and have been all year.

35-17 Manningfaces.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

For all of the hype the Broncos get they haven't exactly been giant slayers in the Manning era. The past 2 years they've lost to the Pats x2, the falcons and Texans last year, the colts this year, and the Chargers this year. In that same time frame their signature wins are against KC x2, the Ravens last year in the midst of their slump, Cincy last year, and the Chargers this year. Arguably a win against us would be the best win of the Manning era.

I don't think it's out of the question that we beat them, and I definitely don't think we'll be blown out. Seattle or San Fran on the other hand...
Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I don't like this game at all for us. I really don't. If we don't get a good amount of pressure on Manning early and frequently I think he picks us apart much better than last time we played. I also think if we try going run early and the Broncos sell out to stop it (ala SD game plan) were in trouble if we need to play catch up. We need to be able to be very balanced in the play calling. Forcing that D to respect both aspects of our offense is the only way I see us keeping up. I think thats a pretty realistic final score from FE.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For all of the hype the Broncos get they haven't exactly been giant slayers in the Manning era. The past 2 years they've lost to the Pats x2, the falcons and Texans last year, the colts this year, and the Chargers this year. In that same time frame their signature wins are against KC x2, the Ravens last year in the midst of their slump, Cincy last year, and the Chargers this year. Arguably a win against us would be the best win of the Manning era.

I don't think it's out of the question that we beat them, and I definitely don't think we'll be blown out. Seattle or San Fran on the other hand...
I agree it's a game we can win. There are two tremendously huge factors that are in our favor and they are enough to secure a win. The first is BB's ability to create and install a game plan that can ruin Peyton Manning. The second is the underdog status. Those two factors can be lethal, and I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats managed to dominate in the most unlikely scenario.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver is likely going to take it, but I'd not be surprised if NE finds a way to win. Watching the re-air of the last game, the secondary held up fairly well. We're as healthy as we've been there too. We should hold up better against the run (would be hard not to, yikes that was bad.) J. Thomas presents problems. I don't know if we have the receivers to take advantage of Denver's depleted secondary.

If we do pull out a win somehow, I see virtually no chance of winning against either SF or Seattle.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really interested to see what the gameplan is this time around. I thought it was amazing that Thomas didn't have a catch until OT if I recall correctly. Wondering what BB has up his sleeve, if he's going to sell out the run to stop the pass like last time or something different.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Julius Thomas was hurt when we played last, I don't even think he dressed. I would imagine Jamie Collins will be getting a lot of work on him this time around.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Julius Thomas was hurt when we played last, I don't even think he dressed. I would imagine Jamie Collins will be getting a lot of work on him this time around.
Welker was also extremely limited. I expect Arrington will still be on him like glue. I'm wondering whether they stick Collins on Thomas or go with the Ryan/Gregory combo they've used on TEs throughout the season.

It's an interesting matchup. Big differences from the last game to this one, but I think the Pats are a much better team than the first meeting.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keep the game close, within striking distance, and Manning, that team, and crowd will tighten up.

I like both team's stable of RB's as long as Ridley doesn't cough the ball up.

Manning has all the weapons.
Brady doesn't.
Pressure will be on the Orange.

I see it 30-27...... depends on the zebra's.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Dobson is back at practice today. That's pretty huge, if he is back that gives us 1 more guy on offense who could potentially have a big game.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Dobson is back at practice today. That's pretty huge, if he is back that gives us 1 more guy on offense who could potentially have a big game.
That is definitely good news. Let's hope he's healthy enough to get some separation. Even a few plays is enough to make a difference, especially if it's off a decent play action (assuming our run game isn't getting completely stuffed).

Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I'm not sure if Thompkins is alright but I read Reiss reported he was at practice the other day and Thompkins was quoted as saying he was ok. I'm nto sure if he practiced or was just present, it was unclear. I would love to get them both out there.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I personally much prefer Dobson to Thompkins. I think Thompkins doesn't come up with nearly enough receptions relative to his targets. His route tree is also much shorter than a guy like Dobson's, so his 46% completion percentage is a lot worse than Dobson's 50% IMO.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Sure, but it would be nice to have both of them in the event that one inevitably goes down with some sort of injury.

On that note, do we think Dobson has more upside for us to unlock or do you think were getting what we pretty much have given the opportunity was there for him to step up all season and largely he hasnt really. I also have to give him credit that this isnt the easiest system to pick up but I worry that hes just another Tate, maybe a bit more polished. Thoughts?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I absolutely do, his rookie season was not all that bad. He came away with 500 yards in 11ish games, and was generally strongest in the middle portion of the season.

I look at a guy like Jordy Nelson or Alshon Jeffrey as a comparison. It took them a year plus to break out, but once they did holy hell. Measurable wise Dobson is comparible with them. Do I expect him to be that good? Probably not, but I don't think the fact that someone we identified as raw around the draft struggled in his rookie year in a WR1 role is an indictment against the guy. You can count on one hand the amount of guys in the last 10 years that have done that. Wide receivers take the longest to develop besides QB's we need to be patient with them, even if we need them the most now.

Hell if Dobson had stayed healthy his numbers would probably be in spitting distance of Calvin Johnson's rookie year.