Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only way this day could have gotten worse is if we signed Edelmen to a good sized contract. That could still happen which worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We will land Revis.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I should be more excited for that possibility, but I just dont trust this front office to make the right decisions regarding FA at this point.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not re-signing Talib made my day!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I agree to the extent that we didn't overpay for him. However losing another key player to Denver ******* blows. They just keep widening the gap in the AFC with our players while we sit around adding tier 3-4 guys and twiddle our thumbs. But hey, Brady can do it all right?

Sorry, frustrated fan. Hope I'm not coming off as a negative nancy.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I agree to the extent that we didn't overpay for him. However losing another key player to Denver ******* blows. They just keep widening the gap in the AFC with our players while we sit around adding tier 3-4 guys and twiddle our thumbs. But hey, Brady can do it all right?

It's a costly lateral move for them. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a comparable player. It's great that Talib had five or six elite games for us on a respectable deal last year, but I'm not about to pay a guy based on the five or six best games of his career. He'd been highly inconsistent before that, didn't sustain his level of play this year, and screwed us by getting hurt before/during the playoffs both years he was here. He has the look of a potential Albert Haynesworth to me, someone talented enough to turn it on in a contract year and get paid, then become complacent afterward. Talib playing for a payday and Talib post-payday may be two entirely different players.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If we don't get DRC, Cro, or Revis I'm going to have a total ***** fit. We're going to spend our $10 million that we should have earmarked for Talib on a pu pu platter of Fells, Fanene, Lloyd, and Gregory types and everyone is going to assume it's just fine in a year or 2 when they're all released, and we have just as much dead space anyways as if Talib had been an utter bust.

Sad thing is I was just about to go to bed before the Talib news broke, now I'm stuck here in utter rage mode. Yes $57 million was a lot, but we probably lowballed him in the negotiating period like we always do, which led to him getting to free agency in the first place.

We're still waiting on the deal specifics, but I'd imagine it's a lot more reasonable than people thing when they see the big number. Probably a $12 million signing bonus with a handful of years of guaranteed base salary.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 03-12-2014 at 06:52 AM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
WTF

Talib to Denver

stole another one...BB and Kraft deserve heavy criticism

On the other hand I wouldn't of given him that contract
They deserve criticism for what, exactly?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see Talib doing all that well without the structure he benefited from in NE. I also don't see him being that motivated now that he's been paid.

Teams that do what Denver's doing never win (there are zero examples in the cap era - heck, most teams that do what they're doing miss the playoffs entirely).

I'm sitting here LOL'ing at all the bad contracts that were signed today.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On the plus side we're going to get a 3rd round comp pick for Talib provided we don't go out and sign a comparable free agent. How about we trade a 2015 4th for Revis (rumored asking price is a 5th)? Do it!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
They deserve criticism for what, exactly?
Criticism fo not doing anything. Its sounding more and more like they are going to cut Vince and seeing someone like Joseph sign for a good contract or slept on the safety market.

For me it is Revis or bust.

Not like I am jumping teams, but I have always defended every decision they have made and the fact that they have become a slave to this out-dated "system" of theirs is killing me slowly.

I think Kraft and BB got a little spoiled with players in the best taking HUGE team friendly deals which just doesn't exist any more (except Brady)
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well now we definitely need a corner. I am glad we didn't pay that kind of money for Talib, but that definitely leaves a hole on our defense.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone wants to take a look at Browner ?

I agree though Revis needs to be a Pats at the end of the day.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's disappointing losing Talib but no way in hell they were matching that contract. I'm still in wait and see mode because you never know, but if by some miracle we ended up with Revis, Woodyard and someone like Jared Allen then I definitely think we have improved beyond doubt.

Woodyard is interesting because it shows we are moving towards a more athletic defense and can you imagine Revis, McCourty, Dennard and Logan Ryan in the same defensive backfield. Also, remember, if we do get Revis it will likely be the first time in his career he has played with an upper echelon FS behind him.

Not confident in this, but it is this thought which is keeping me from blowing up with rage right now. I'll reassess tomorrow.

Also, as has been mentioned, those who go out and spend massive money in FA rarely have anything tangible to show for it at the end. I'm not sure how much improved the Broncos are, unless they get Ware. Talib is an upgrade over DRC but not by miles and Ward isn't the kind of guy they needed. They needed a coverage safety but because the word "toughness" was thrown around after the Superbowl Elway thought he needed to add a presence. They got a good deal on Ward but took a huge risk with Talib

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I'd like Revis as well, but I also think cornerback is a position where the team could actually get value in the first round this year, unlike almost any other position of need on the roster. At least one of my top three cornerbacks, Jason Verrett, Bradley Roby, and Kyle Fuller, could realistically make it that far. Verrett reminds me of Lardarius Webb, while Fuller is reminiscent of Logan Ryan and Roby could be a Terence Newman.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 03-12-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
Anyone wants to take a look at Browner ?

I agree though Revis needs to be a Pats at the end of the day.
Browner is suspended for the first 4 games and won't be goo without that Seattle special water
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I'd like Revis as well, but I also think cornerback is a position where the team could actually get value in the first round this year, unlike almost any other position of need on the roster. At least one of my top three cornerbacks, Jason Verrett, Bradley Roby, and Kyle Fuller, could realistically make it that far. Verrett reminds me of Lardarius Webb, while Fuller is reminiscent of Logan Ryan and Roby could be a Terence Newman.
Verrett reminds me of a CB version Steve Smith I like him, but he hits so hard how long could his small body take?

Love Roby's feet, think he is waaaayy more fluid than Newman ever was
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
It's disappointing losing Talib but no way in hell they were matching that contract. I'm still in wait and see mode because you never know, but if by some miracle we ended up with Revis, Woodyard and someone like Jared Allen then I definitely think we have improved beyond doubt.

Woodyard is interesting because it shows we are moving towards a more athletic defense and can you imagine Revis, McCourty, Dennard and Logan Ryan in the same defensive backfield. Also, remember, if we do get Revis it will likely be the first time in his career he has played with an upper echelon FS behind him.

Not confident in this, but it is this thought which is keeping me from blowing up with rage right now. I'll reassess tomorrow.

Also, as has been mentioned, those who go out and spend massive money in FA rarely have anything tangible to show for it at the end. I'm not sure how much improved the Broncos are, unless they get Ware. Talib is an upgrade over DRC but not by miles and Ward isn't the kind of guy they needed. They needed a coverage safety but because the word "toughness" was thrown around after the Superbowl Elway thought he needed to add a presence. They got a good deal on Ward but took a huge risk with Talib
I'm going to wait until we see the details of the Talib contract before I say we definitively shouldn't have matched it. The years and total value of the contract look scary, but it actually could be a very good deal for the Broncos.

Take for example the Cortland Finnegan contract, that was an utter disaster for the Rams because his play never matched his contract, however he got 5 years and $50 million with $27 million guaranteed. He was recently cut. Do you know how much it is going to cost the Rams in dead money? $6 million which they could designate over 2 years, or in other terms the same dead money we paid to Ocho and Lloyd.

I suspect the Broncos made the same kind of move, ~$12 million in signing bonus, pro rated over 4 years, with guaranteed base salaries of $7 million over the first 2 years. $10 cap hit the first 2 years with what is essentially an option 3rd-6th year.

That is absolutely a contract that we could have matched.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 25 s Voir la traduction
Carolina free-agent WR Brandon LaFell is visiting today with the New England Patriots, per source.

welp

#MoncriefArmy
Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Carolina free-agent WR Brandon LaFell is visiting today with the New England Patriots, per source.

welp
What a joke, no speed, okay hands, couldn't break out in Carolina, was #4 option

Last edited by RWills : 03-12-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

welp
#Championship

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:

welp
mid-tier free agents are a sickness that we desperately need to find a cure of.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
mid-tier free agents are a sickness that we desperately need to find a cure of.
How else can we one up last off season? (seriously, it can't be worse than that right?)

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How else can we one up last off season? (seriously, it can't be worse than that right?)
Yeah it can... It could be 2012
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I think FE is right and we shouldnt expect to land Revis. I'm also not sure how comfortable I would be giving someone that much money who didn't play exceptionally well last year coming off a big injury.

Quote:
Quote: