Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I'm with Jvig here and putting this down to due diligence. I could see the Patriots taking a guy like Mettenberger if he falls to the third because he fits what they like in a QB, but I don't see any of these guys. I could see them maybe liking Bortles but no way he will be around in the first, let alone later in the draft.
Tom Savage is another gu in the later rounds, even wouln't mind Morris out of Miami as an UDFA
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
Tom Savage is another gu in the later rounds, even wouln't mind Morris out of Miami as an UDFA
Yeah and Garoppolo as well. I do think we will see a QB drafted, maybe even earlier than expected

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as it is not Kevin O'Connell.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mettenberger would be the #1 QB in this draft if he was healthy. And it'd be by a healthy margin. Getting him in the 3rd/4th would be a huge coup.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Mettenberger would be the #1 QB in this draft if he was healthy. And it'd be by a healthy margin. Getting him in the 3rd/4th would be a huge coup.
Talk that he might be the Vikings coice in roun 2, perfect for Norv's system
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah and Garoppolo as well. I do think we will see a QB drafted, maybe even earlier than expected
Heard Garoppolo could go as high as the Jags in round 2
Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patrick Chung has been resigned. I'm trying to sum up my emotions but all I get is meh! Adrian Wilson, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon and Pat Chung at SS. A big collective meh

Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Patrick Chung has been resigned. I'm trying to sum up my emotions but all I get is meh! Adrian Wilson, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon and Pat Chung at SS. A big collective meh
Stocking up players for that McCourty-Clowney trade
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
I think our second safety will be playing differently this season with mcCourty overtop, and the other roaming the middle. Revis will allow this to happen, if that is the case you are minimizing the weakness and maximizing the strengths of Chung and Wilson(s)
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM    (permalink
R-Bond
Veteran

R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
I think our second safety will be playing differently this season with mcCourty overtop, and the other roaming the middle. Revis will allow this to happen, if that is the case you are minimizing the weakness and maximizing the strengths of Chung and Wilson(s)
Agreed, there is a lot of hate for Chung, but i thought he had a good run with the Pats. I think there is endless possibilities for what this defense can do because of our top tier man to man cover guys. It's not only Revis too which makes me a happy man. With the right coaching i think we can have a top 5 or top 3 overall defense in the league.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM    (permalink
R-Bond
Veteran

R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.R-Bond is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To add on Chung, I love aggressive safeties. Dude is an explosive player and a straight up banger. I can see him doing some damage to other players whether hes playing over top or adding into the box. He had an awful season with the Eagles but if he gets his head on straight he could get some playing time.

Last edited by R-Bond : 04-03-2014 at 03:38 PM.
R-Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I agree that Chung is better suited for that SS role in cover 1 instead of playing a deep half but he takes horrendous angles to the ball and struggles to change directions. I don't know, and if it turns out he has a really good season in that role then I will happily eat crow but I don't see this move as anything to get excited about. He will very much so be a part of the competition for that one spot

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never really had a major issue with Chung from an angle standpoint. Maybe I'm just numb after years of Gregory and Meriweather, but Chung was immensely better in pursuit than those guys were.

I'm looking at this from the standpoint of roster usefulness. When I see Wilson, I see a guy who won't contribute on special teams, and when I see Ebner I see someone who won't contribute on defense. If I'm going to use a roster spot Chung is the best bet because he can do both. He hits hard and is a decent Blitzer, his range is terrible, but like the rest of our safeties over the last year and a half he'll benefit from improved CB play. I think people will view Chung a lot differently with Browner, Ryan, Dennard, and Revis in front of him rather than McCourty, Arrington, Moore, and Butler in front of him.

Now if he only doesn't shatter into 17561974624 pieces.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys guys guys........ It wont matter when we get our no name safety reach in the second round that no one has ever heard of! Chanpionship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Guys guys guys........ It wont matter when we get our no name safety reach in the second round that no one has ever heard of! Chanpionship!
Maurice Alexander
Thomas Gordon
LJ McCray
Rob Henry
Malcolm Willis
Dewey McDonald

There is a future Pats 2nd round pick in this group. Gotta get scounting!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chung fits in really well with the current group. Hopefully, in a reduced role, he can stay healthy.

I think the ideal situation is Duron Harmon rising up and leaving little doubt who the starting safety opposite McCourty will be.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Logan Ryan could possibly play strong safety as well. He's got good ball skills, has experience covering tight ends and covering the slot, and is a solid tackler who can blitz a bit. Harmon's only an inch and five points bigger than Ryan, and I've always been a fan of converting cornerbacks to safety.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After calling Amendola a game changer this week I'm seriously starting to question Reiss's ability to evaluate this team when he makes statements like

"I think Ryan and Dennard would then be closer to fourth/fifth on the depth chart (Kyle Arrington locked into the slot as the No. 3). In that scenario, it could lead Ryan to get a look at safety."

Good god Arrington is the worst CB out of those five right now. By far.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
After calling Amendola a game changer this week I'm seriously starting to question Reiss's ability to evaluate this team when he makes statements like

"I think Ryan and Dennard would then be closer to fourth/fifth on the depth chart (Kyle Arrington locked into the slot as the No. 3). In that scenario, it could lead Ryan to get a look at safety."

Good god Arrington is the worst CB out of those five right now. By far.
Yup that comment on the CBs is way off base. Arrington, the team seems to like in the slot more than the other 2 but if you are playing 2 CBs and Revis or Browner goes down no way in hell is he the first guy up.

I don't like Dennard's abilities when it's a two way release in the slot, he is much better when he can be physical and use the sideline. Ryan though I like that role and will very quickly move up over Arrington this year

Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Also, I see Hernandez accounts for a 7.5 hit against our cap, but weren't we trying to fight that with the notion he violated the NFL's conduct policy?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get the feeling that Browner won't be a primary boundary CB. I get the feeling he is going to be used to matchup against TEs in the spread as a field side or slot CB where he can be physical.

I would expect Revis and Dennard (if healthy) to be the primary outside CBs. With Arrington and Browner inside based on matchups.

I would also expect McCourty and Harmon or Ryan to play safety.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

This article made me feel really good about Harmon and Ryan.

Man, I love the secondary right now. It should allow the Pats to be more aggressive up front.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some interesting tweets from Albert Breer regarding the Patriots

Quote:
1) Patriots don't view this year as uniquely all in -- "We view every year as all in," source said. New deals don't hamstring them for '15.
I thought that was obvious.

Quote:
2) Next pieces of internal business that the Patriots plan to prioritize are S Devin McCourty, LT Nate Solder -- Players they can count on.
Quote:
3) As far as the draft goes, they'll look at interior OL, interior DL and maybe a move TE who can provide versatility and depth behind 87.
This is encouraging

Quote:
5) As we said last night, good early signs on Gronk, 3 months post-op. He met with Dr. Andrews this week. Will start jogging soon.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
This article made me feel really good about Harmon and Ryan.

Man, I love the secondary right now. It should allow the Pats to be more aggressive up front.
I am very excited about Harmon, I think they might have found something with him. Ryan looks like he could be very valuable as well. I was a big fan of the Ryan pick at the time, the Harmon one was a head scratcher to me but it seems like they both could be a big part of our future moving forward.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Re the Breer tweets I think the first one makes a lot of sense and is a big reason why the Patriots have been able to be consistent.

Teams who go "all in" end up forcing a window on themselves. By giving each player a price they are rigid with it means they can always give themselves flexibility going forward. I know we gripe and moan about their FA philosophy but in general it works as far as giving the team a chance.

As for the positions tweet I don't buy that. Belichick will take what he feels is the best value, always does. He won't be tied down to a certain position(s) because there is a need. Thankfully at 29 - to about 50 there is good value at those positions, but if a guy falls at another position Belichick will either take him or trade the pick.

I also think it is obvious that Dmac and Solder will be next for deals. They are two young cornerstones who fit the profile both on and off the field. Unless a really good offer comes in for either they will be locked up sooner than later IMO

Last edited by AntoinCD : 04-14-2014 at 05:22 AM.