Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

tylaw24 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHobbs27
Well with the new order it isn't impossible. If somehow Calvin falls to 5 then right now trading both of our 1sts and our 4th would equal us getting to the 5th pick. Arizona has the 5th pick and I'm sure with the 22nd and 28th pick they can add 2 key pieces to their team especially considering Joe Thomas will be gone.

1.) Oakland- Brady Quinn
2.) Detroit- Joe Thomas
3.) Cleveland- Alan Branch
4.) Tampa Bay- HOPEFULLY GAINES ADAMS
5.) Pats (f/Arizona)- Calvin Johnson

Ohh Please make this happen. PLEASE.
This scenario would be awesome, no doubt. Brady would go nuts if the front office gave him a true #1 WR to add to his arsenal. You can just tell that he wasn't at all happy when Deion went. People do talk a lot about "tradition" though when draft day comes around. And tradition tells us that Belichick doesn't take Wide Receivers in the first round let alone package and trade up.

However! all that tradition S*** goes out the window when you have 2 First rounders. The leverage that comes with that extra pick means they can make moves like yours EHobbs and still pick up some much needed depth/youth on "D".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynFNxQ3b5-U
thx ^sig by cardsalltheway^
Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
the 08 Raiders will be without a doubt the best SB team ever.
tylaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
DT is the least of my worries. We're set with Vince Wilfork and Mike Wright backing him up, we can fill any depth issues in free agency, but playing a 3-4, I am not that worried...

I wouldn't draft a single DT in this draft, not even with a throwaway compensation 7th rounder at the end.
I agree 100%. If we were going to convert fully to a base 4-3 defence, then yes DT depth would instantly become a draft need. But until then, Mr. Wright and young Wilfork are all the DT we need.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

It’s Rodney’s knee again: Injury may cost safety the playoffs

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=174902

Quote:
The preliminary diagnosis on Patriots safety Rodney Harrison is a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee. It is expected to sideline Harrison for Sunday’s playoff opener against the Jets and possibly the entire postseason.
James Sanders has big shoes to fill this week. This is nothing new to him though. He has been doing it all season and will show everyone what he's got on Sunday.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

EHobbs27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yep no doubt. Stinks about Rodney though. I have this gut feeling after 2 straight seasons of injuries that he may retire after this year.

About the trade up thing, I agree 100% tylaw24. The last draft we had 2 first rounders there were rumors flying around that the Pats were looking to move up to 5 to grab Sean Taylor. Then the year after that we actually did call Baltimore about a trade up for Mark Clayton, but Baltimore stayed there and grabbed him. Then this past year we did trade up.

Now that we have 2 first rounders which most likely will be 22 and 28 (hopefully 32 when we win the Super Bowl). I definately wouldn't leave it out of question. Yes we need some defensive help at LB and possibly CB, but if we trade both 1st rounders and a 4th we would equal the value of the 5th pick. That means we will still have 2nd and 3rd rounders to add defensive help to throw on top of that adding possibly the top rookie WR in decades. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

You just have to watch him play. Hes a game changer and a playmaker. He would instantly become our #1 WR if Belichick and co. could work some magic and move into position to grab him. He has excellent body control and can make the tough catches. For those of you who haven't seen before, take a look at this http://youtube.com/watch?v=IOuHzq-cz3s .

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yes, but with him being such an elite talent what makes you think he would even be there at the fifth...

Oakland #1- Could trade Moss for Schaub and take CJ to fill his shoes

Detroit #2- Well Millen is still employed so anything can happen

Cleavland #3- Jurevicius is getting old and the team's old WR is Braylon

Tampa Bay #4 - Clayton has done nothing in the last 2 years and Galloway is 35

Arizona #5 - They will lose their LT this season and will require someone who can actually block...the question is would they dare trade out of the 5 hole if Thomas is avaliable NO they would not....but Thomas most likely would'nt be here so your guess is as good as mine
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119
Yes, but with him being such an elite talent what makes you think he would even be there at the fifth...

Oakland #1- Could trade Moss for Schaub and take CJ to fill his shoes

Detroit #2- Well Millen is still employed so anything can happen

Cleavland #3- Jurevicius is getting old and the team's old WR is Braylon

Tampa Bay #4 - Clayton has done nothing in the last 2 years and Galloway is 35

Arizona #5 - They will lose their LT this season and will require someone who can actually block...the question is would they dare trade out of the 5 hole if Thomas is avaliable NO they would not....but Thomas most likely would'nt be here so your guess is as good as mine
I sorta don't get your reasoning for the Browns.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Poll

What about Jarrett?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

If we had the chance to get Calvin then we do it. I'm not sure about DJ though. He definately has talent, but I wasn't very pleased with his on-field antics during the game. That is what makes guys like TO so not enjoyable. Just go play the game and let your game do the talking. That is what got Jerry Rice so successful.

I wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe though. Watch out for him because I think he would be a great prospect.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CJ is a raider no doubt because as u said we r trading moss for a qb. either for schaub or some1 else

u guys wouldnt want moss right? to many off and on field actics for u guys

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation
CJ is a raider no doubt because as u said we r trading moss for a qb. either for schaub or some1 else

u guys wouldnt want moss right? to many off and on field actics for u guys
Our number 1 and 2 WRs last season were Deion Branch and David Givens respectively. They've both since moved on and Belichick went out and in and effort to replace them picked up Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel (who he then released), and Jabar Gaffney. This group of players doesn't really inspire confidence and have been sufficient thus far.

Belichick is looking to the future and this is evident in the drafting of Chad Jackson in the second round last draft. Dan Graham is gone next season and Troy Brown (our current #1 or #2 . . . i can never tell) will most likely retire.

I think there is definitely room for Randy Moss on the Patriots. Belichick hasn't said that he would object to bringing in Moss but has passed on trading for him before. Over the past seasons, we have been regarded as a 'no name' team. Belichick and Pioli's methods would be questionable if not for the superbowl rings. They'll often let fan favorite players leave in order to stick to their strict plan and this does include passing on marquee names.

The argument could be made that the Pats are rarely in position to make major 1st round moves. I am optimistic though that this draft will be different from past drafts. The options are plenty and i'd only be speculating. I expect Jackson to be our #2 next season and i feel our #1 will be picked up next year whether that is by taking someone in the draft or by trading for a big name receiver such as Moss.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-04-2007, 05:00 AM    (permalink
Veteran

what makes you think graham will leave?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:15 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
what makes you think graham will leave?
He's an unrestricted free agent and will get a lot of offers in the offseason. Plus we drafted David Thomas and Garrett Mills last year.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Veteran

I have liked what i have seen from Thomas so far as a receiving aspect, but he is not even in the same league as graham is blocking wise....

And Mills has hardly been on the field and would not be able to handle the tough gritty jobs that graham does so well

everybody needs a blocking tight end what makes you think we'd let one as good as graham walk?

but youre right it all depends on the price
Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Quote:
I have liked what i have seen from Thomas so far as a receiving aspect, but he is not even in the same league as graham is blocking wise....

And Mills has hardly been on the field and would not be able to handle the tough gritty jobs that graham does so well

everybody needs a blocking tight end what makes you think we'd let one as good as graham walk?

but youre right it all depends on the price
Thomas was one of Vince Young's favorite targets in Texas and has shown a lot of promise in his limited game time. I do agree that his blocking skills aren't anywhere near that of Graham's but that could be a sign that the team is moving in a new direction Offence wise.

To tell you the truth, i haven't seen Garrett Mills play in the preseason so i have no real opinion on him. On draft day he was listed as a FB/TE but is considered a RB on the nfl.com stats page. The pats staff must have seen something in him though to warrant selecting him in the 4th round.

One other reason i don't see Graham coming back is because they had a chance to extended both Asante's and Graham's contracts a while back but didn't end up doing it. I like Dan Graham but he is patchy in that he will sometimes drop the simple passes, and for a former 1st round pick, it's hard to tell where he ranks among the games top 10 Tight Ends.

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Right now the way I see it for the Pats is this:

1.) We resign Asante Samuel

2.) We resign Graham and a FA CB or LB.

I think it comes down to either or. I just have this feeling we won't sign both guys this offseason. While I hope that Samuel stays, I feel that it will be option B. I think that after Graham was named captain this season, I feel Belichick goes this route and signs a FA LB or CB.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHobbs27
Right now the way I see it for the Pats is this:

1.) We resign Asante Samuel

2.) We resign Graham and a FA CB or LB.

I think it comes down to either or. I just have this feeling we won't sign both guys this offseason. While I hope that Samuel stays, I feel that it will be option B. I think that after Graham was named captain this season, I feel Belichick goes this route and signs a FA LB or CB.
We're better of giving Nate Clements a lot of money instead of Samuel.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

I don't know about that. After this season, Samuel has established himself as a great #1 CB. Nothing against Clements, but Samuel is 2 years younger and is an interception machine. 10 picks in one year is very impressive in this era.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:56 AM    (permalink
tylaw24
Rookie

Who of the current Patriots do you think will retire next season? If i were to guess, i'd say Troy Brown because he was basically retired last season before he got talked into coming back. Now that he has broken the franchise record for receptions, i think that he will hang up the cleats and call it a career. Does anyone think Rodney will retire?

Michael Griffin #27

Quote:
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 AM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

we dont need grahm. ben watson is a very well TE and can start
Old 01-06-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylaw24
Who of the current Patriots do you think will retire next season? If i were to guess, i'd say Troy Brown because he was basically retired last season before he got talked into coming back. Now that he has broken the franchise record for receptions, i think that he will hang up the cleats and call it a career. Does anyone think Rodney will retire?
i say he retires after the '07 season
Old 01-06-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Quote:
we dont need grahm. ben watson is a very well TE and can start
Graham is one of the most important parts in our offense. He is the best blocking TE in the game and when we have a good running game he must be a part of it. There is no way Ben Watson or David Thomas has the blocking skills that Graham has.

Quote:
I think that Troy definately retires after this year. As for Rodney, I think it depends on if we win the Super Bowl or not. I think if we win, Rodney will retire, but if we don't I think he gives it one more year.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I know Rodney has said he wants to be a ref when he retires, but I see him as a definite Defensive Coordinator down the road, and maybe even a head coach. He's such a student of the game, and I just don't see him leaving the game all together.

That said, I don't think he will retire until he physically can't do it anymore. It almost feels like it is getting to that point, which is unfortunate, because if he didn't lose the better part of the last two years to injury, he'd still be one of the top three safeties in the league. This defense is a different defense with him on the field... which is exactly why he is my favorite Patriot EVER...
Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
EHobbs27
Veteran

Yeah good call. If I was a head coach I would take Rodney as my D-Coordinator anyday.

Yeah Rodney is by far my favorite person I have ever met. I had a long talk with him and he was just so cool. It was at the mall and he and Rosie Colvin showed up to sign auto's and there was no one there. The people said I could only get 1 thing autographed and I had a tough decision to make because it was either my Rodney picture that I bought or my jersey. He called me over and told me he didn't care for the people running it and said he would sign both things. I thought it was awesome. we had a long talk. It was a great time.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I can't even believe that. I went to a signing he did with Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi and Corey Dillon at Rotmans in Worcester and the place was overflowing, and the organizers went late and had a ****** up line system which caused me to go towards the end, so where everyone in front got to actually talk to the guys and take pictures, I had to ******* rush through and barely got my helmet signed. Fortunately the guys all shook hands down the line. Rodney is by far my favorite player ever to wear a Patriots uniform. I'd love to shoot the **** with him.