Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Week One is right around the corner and I'd like to get some info out of you Pats fans.

1) Be honest, can you cover Chad/T.O./Shipley/Gresham? I know your secondary just took a hit when Bengal-killer Leigh Bodden went down & now it's up to Devin McCourty to play quicker than originally anticipated.

2) What kind of heat are you going to put on my man Carson? I know New England's D has lost some off it's old talent & tenacity, but the Bengals offense really revolves around Palmer getting the time he needs to throw. Who's bringing the heat & how many blitzes can my boys expect to see.

3) Is Wes Welker going to be in the starting lineup? He's on my fantasy team (hell yeah) and I'd imagine could give the Bengals D fits. If he's in, it'll likely be Johnathan Joseph covering him for the most part.

4) Is your line going to be strong enough to throw Cincinnati's big uglies around? I know Sebastian Vollmer showed up looking like a stud last year & most of the rest of the line looks plenty solid, but can they handle three downs of Domata Peko inside all game? Any chance Antwan Odom overpowers Vollmer?

5) How will the Patriots stop Ced? Their DL & LB core have been re-vamped in the past three years or so and I'm not really sure how quickly the new guys can get upfield to stop the run. Benson is a very patient runner who likes to stay behind his massive blockers then explode through the hole. I know Jerod Mayo can come up & meet him, but what else is stopping Ced from controlling the pace of the game and running for 100+ yards?

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
Week One is right around the corner and I'd like to get some info out of you Pats fans.
1) Be honest, can you cover Chad/T.O./Shipley/Gresham?
Honestly, yes. But, since the answer to Q#2 is "not much" I would have to add that we can't cover any of them long enough. No defensive backfield can.

2) What kind of heat are you going to put on my man Carson?
Most likely not much. The blitz will come from all points on the field. ILB, OLB, S. But the DLine is a major question mark and Tully Banta Cain is still our best pass rush, until someone else steps up to claim that title. Yikes.

3) Is Wes Welker going to be in the starting lineup?
Yes. He's good to go and has already be the focus of targets, screens, etc. He's also been drilled once or twice by defenders. He looks 100%.

4) Is your line going to be strong enough to throw Cincinnati's big uglies around?
Pressure up the middle is the biggest weakness. 3-4, especially, as Koppen is small(ish) and aging at the center position. But this ain't your grandpappy's smashmouth team either. The run will come in the form of short passes, delays and draws so there's no real need to push anybody around. The more important question is can your big uglies push this line into Brady's lap?

5) How will the Patriots stop Ced?
Hopefully Brandon Spikes. He is the complementary ILB we've been hoping for to free Mayo. We'll find out pretty quickly if he can be the thumper many of us wanted when we were clamoring for Maulalauagjkalsaaa.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
5) How will the Patriots stop Ced? Their DL & LB core have been re-vamped in the past three years or so and I'm not really sure how quickly the new guys can get upfield to stop the run. Benson is a very patient runner who likes to stay behind his massive blockers then explode through the hole. I know Jerod Mayo can come up & meet him, but what else is stopping Ced from controlling the pace of the game and running for 100+ yards?
I think FlyingElvis answered just fine, but I'd like to add something.

I think it's fair to say that the Patriots defense is pretty well coached (all of the team is, but I digress). Our DL will two gap your OL, our OLBs will set the edge (or at least try to) which leads to Ced having to run between the tackles (or at least, that's the idea). Spikes and Mayo will be there to greet him, and, if given enough time, so will our safeties. I'm not as concerned about our run defense as I am of our pass defense. Last year (you know, when we couldn't stop the run /sarcasm) we only gave up 6 rushing TDs but 25 (!!!!!) passing TDs. I think that speaks volumes about where this defense is. And with no solution to the lack of pass rush apparent I have no reason to believe this year will be any different. I think that game against the Bengals will tell us all a lot about the possibilities of the team this year. The real question is, are your guys ready for the aerial attack the Pats are going to bring? Moss looks poised for a big year, so does Brady. Welker is back plus we now have a third AND a fourth receiver - and possibly also our fifth receiver in Taylor Price. Add to that Hernandez, Gronkowski and Crumpler and the Bengals D# has their hands full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Last edited by Razor : 09-02-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Grammar fail
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't wait to see my first pats game this season!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our defense sucks..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our OLBs surely do. Not one of them would make the field back when we were dominating. Tully obviously did, but he was quicker and more of a project they used as depth. The fact we rely on this guy as our #1 pressure weapon is sad.

It will be a very long year watching Tom have to continously come back from deficits this D will create. We will be above average, but any playoff run will end with the D not getting the job done.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A few cuts that I thought were interesting, and some comments:

Saints cut RB Ladell Betts

Pretty good short yardage back over the course of his career. New England sometimes has trouble picking up tough yards (as demonstrated in the Giants game this week), so potentially he'd be a consideration. If he were to land on the Patriots, it'd probably be after an injury (perhaps Sammy Morris' annual injury?)

Chiefs cut OG Dan Santucci

Santucci can play a little bit of center as well as guard, and played for Charlie Weis in college. Came to the Chiefs kind of late and apparently didn't really make much of an impression. Possible depth option for the team down the road.

Falcons cut DT Dan Klecko

I don't know how much he still has in the tank, but he's worth mentioning because of his long tenure in New England. We're also very thin on the defensive line, so potentially we're looking to add more guys. Also can play some fullback in a pinch.

Eagles cut DE Pannel Egboh

I was a fan of Egboh coming out because he's tall with the frame to add on some weight, but has bounced around so far in the NFL. Worth mentioning because of the defensive line problems. Also, hasn't tried his hand in a 3-4 defense yet.

Saints cut DE Bobby McCray

McCray is a decent pass rusher and somewhat of a surprise cut from the Saints this year. At 6'6", 260, seems to have the size Belichick looks for in a linebacker. I don't know if he has any experience dropping into coverage, but he should probably be looked into a bit.

49ers cut LB Bruce Davis

Davis had a chance on the Patriots once before but was cut. I'm bringing him up because we're still lacking outside linebackers and Belichick might want to get a few more bodies into practice to try and draw something out of someone.

Cardinals cut LB Cody Brown

Brown is a guy that, coming out, a lot of people thought the Patriots might have been interested in. Comes from UConn, and Belichick personally visited their Pro Day the year Brown came out. Was on injured reserve last year, and being cut this quickly after the Cardinals invested a second-round pick in him is a big flag.

Chiefs cut CB Mike Richardson

Richardson has been signed to the Patriots a few different times if I remember correctly. Notable for having played under Weis, and also for having a ridiculously fast cone drill pre-draft. Also held Calvin Johnson to 2-14-0 in college. Patriots really need some cornerbacks, too.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't make the team:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Darnell Jenkins
LB Eric Alexander

Great news today though, the Broncos have decided to release Jarvis Green without him having played a game for them. Very surprising, but hopefully Belichick gets him back in New England as soon as possible. He would be perfect for our line rotation. Also, in other Patriots-related news, Dolphins have released Pat White and the Chargers released WR Josh Reed.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gaaaaah get green back now, we need some depth on that line. Oh please please please.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. Eric Alexander. Always liked him.

I think Pat White will go play baseball now that he's failed as a QB. He basically refused to play WR.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

waiting to hear others, including zach robinson

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

List of Patriots who have been cut:

QB Zac Robinson
RB Thomas Clayton
WR Darnell Jenkins
WR Rod Owens
TE Carson Butler
TE Rob Myers
OL Eric Ghiaciuc
OL Rich Ohrnberger
OL Ted Larsen
OL Thomas Welch
DL Damione Lewis
LB Eric Alexander
Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
List of Patriots who have been cut:

QB Zac Robinson
RB Thomas Clayton
WR Darnell Jenkins
WR Rod Owens
TE Carson Butler
TE Rob Myers
OL Eric Ghiaciuc
OL Rich Ohrnberger
OL Ted Larsen
OL Thomas Welch

DL Damione Lewis
LB Eric Alexander
These guys I didnt see getting the cut but weird.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Updated list of Patriots cuts, Pierre Woods among them. An (x) before their name indicates I expected they would make the 53-man roster.

QB Zac Robinson
RB Thomas Clayton
WR Darnell Jenkins
WR Rod Owens
TE Carson Butler
TE Rob Myers
OL Eric Ghiaciuc
(x)OL Rich Ohrnberger
(x)OL Ted Larsen
OL Thomas Welch
DL Damione Lewis
LB Eric Alexander
(x)LB Pierre Woods
DB Ross Ventrone
DB DeAngelo Willingham

Also, here's a list of some more notable cuts that could affect New England:

TE Davon Drew (Baltimore)
TE Garrett Mills (Minnesota)
TE Spencer Havner (Green Bay)
DE Jarvis Green (Denver)
DE Alex Hall (New York Giants)
DE Jay Richardson (Oakland)
CB Ramzee Robinson (Washington)

I'm just guessing on most of those guys, but the Patriots were mad that Minnesota swiped Garrett Mills, so he could be a consideration, even though there's not really a lot of room for him. Jarvis Green is the obvious big name here and I bet he'll be back, or at least that New England will call them. The Patriots also put in a claim on Alex Hall when he was waived but didn't get him.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Patriots have cut Derrick Burgess. Surprising, but he looked terrible this preseason after missing camp and probably would have hurt more than helped anyways. We need rushers badly though.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Sam Aiken has reportedly been cut, another surprise. Apparently they are looking to go with Patrick Chung in his place on special teams.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Christopher Price reporting Pats have "genuine interest" in Jarvis Green.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Couple more interesting bits: the Eagles have reportedly cut WR Kelley Washington, so he could potentially get some interest from New England as a special teams contributor. Also, Ray Ventrone has made the Cleveland Browns in a nice story.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Patriots have cut DB Sergio Brown. I know a bunch of people on here were hoping he'd make the team. I think he'll be on the practice squad if he clears waivers.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Final 53-man roster:

1.QB Tom Brady
2.QB Brian Hoyer
3.RB Kevin Faulk
4.RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
5.RB Laurence Maroney
6.RB Sammy Morris
7.RB Fred Taylor
8.WR Julian Edelman
9.WR Randy Moss
10.WR Taylor Price
11.WR Matt Slater
12.WR Brandon Tate
13.WR Wes Welker
14.TE Alge Crumpler
15.TE Rob Gronkowski
16.TE Aaron Hernandez
17.OT Nick Kaczur
18.OT Mark LeVoir
19.OT Matt Light
20.OT Sebastian Vollmer
21.OG Dan Connolly
22.OG Stephen Neal
23.OG Ryan Wendell
24.C Dan Koppen
25.DE Brandon Deaderick
26.DE Ron Brace
27.DE Kyle Love
28.DE Gerard Warren
29.DE Mike Wright
30.NT Myron Pryor
31.NT Vince Wilfork
32.LB Tully Banta-Cain
33.LB Jermaine Cunningham
34.LB Dane Fletcher
35.LB Gary Guyton
36.LB Jerod Mayo
37.LB Tyrone McKenzie
38.LB Marques Murrell
39.LB Rob Ninkovich
40.LB Brandon Spikes
41.LB Tracy White
42.CB Kyle Arrington
43.CB Darius Butler
44.CB Devin McCourty
45.CB Terrence Wheatley
46.CB Jonathan Wilhite
47.S Patrick Chung
48.S Brandon Meriweather
49.S Jarrad Page (potentially has roster exemption)
50.S James Sanders
51.K Stephen Gostkowski
52.P Zoltan Mesko
53.LS Jake Ingram

Do not count towards roster:

OT Quinn Ojinnaka (suspended one game)
DE Darryl Richard (injured reserve)
DE Ty Warren (injured reserve)
DE Kade Weston (injured reserve)
CB Leigh Bodden (injured reserve)
S Josh Barrett (injured reserve)
S Bret Lockett (injured reserve)
S Brandon McGowan (injured reserve)

List of cuts:

WR Sam Aiken, LB Eric Alexander, S Sergio Brown, LB Derrick Burgess, OL George Bussey, TE Carson Butler, RB Thomas Clayton, WR Buddy Farnham, WR Darnell Jenkins, OL Ted Larsen, TE Rob Myers, OL Rich Ohrnberger, WR Rod Owens, QB Zac Robinson, RB Chris Taylor, DB Ross Ventrone, OL Thomas Welch, LB Thomas Williams, CB DeAngelo Willingham and LB Pierre Woods.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 09-04-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Albert Breer reporting that "something is brewing" with James Sanders. Pretty surprised by this, I was kind of hoping New England would keep him on board as insurance for an injury to either Chung or Meriweather.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Patriots have traded a conditional draft pick to Philadelphia for LB Tracy White. Updating the roster a couple posts up.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Last roster cuts are in:

RB Chris Taylor
WR Buddy Farnham
OT George Bussey
LB Thomas Williams

Also, S Brandon McGowan to IR with a chest injury. Very sad that Bussey and especially Williams didn't make it. I'll update the post with the 53-man roster.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Albert Breer reporting that "something is brewing" with James Sanders. Pretty surprised by this, I was kind of hoping New England would keep him on board as insurance for an injury to either Chung or Meriweather.
With McGowan on IR, Sanders won't likely be traded
Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Thoughts on the roster moves today:

I was a little surprised to see the Patriots carry five running backs, but at the same time I'm glad BenJarvus made the team, as he's a pretty hard runner. I'm also very glad that Laurence Maroney didn't get the axe, he has a reasonable salary this year (the final year on his deal) and is only 25.

Sam Aiken's spot as personal protector on special teams has been taken by Patrick Chung. Matthew Slater will remain on the roster as a gunner. The team probably kept Taylor Price over Darnell Jenkins because Price was drafted with a higher pick - supposedly Price has shown an inability to beat jams in the NFL, while Jenkins was making some big plays this preseason.

Belichick must not have been very happy with his backup offensive line - he cut three linemen who were drafted this year (Bussey, Larsen, and Welch) and one from last year (Ohrnberger.) Personally, I was hoping Ohrnberger and maybe Bussey would make it. It looks like Ohrnberger and Larsen were beat out by Wendell for the G/C swing spot, Bussey by Ojinnaka for the G/T swing spot, and Welch by LeVoir for a backup tackle role. It's encouraging that Nick Kaczur wasn't moved to injured reserve, though – we might see him again this year.

I'm pretty surprised New England ended up keeping Kyle Love on the defensive line, although I don't think he'll last very long. I'd be pretty shocked if New England didn't make a serious push to replace him on the roster with Jarvis Green, who was cut by Denver without having played a game. That's not encouraging, but the Damione Lewis project failed, and supposedly Belichick wanted him to fill the role that Green had in the past.

Lots of moves made at linebacker today and I'm not sure if I like them. I can see why Belichick would cut Burgess (not a great locker room guy from the sound of things and clearly didn't have much to offer on the field anymore), but I was saddened to see Eric Alexander and Pierre Woods get walking papers. It seems New England is filling Alexander's spot with Tracy White, and Burgess' spot with Marques Murrell. Thomas Williams is another player I was rooting for, and he ended up losing a spot to Dane Fletcher, an undrafted free agent.

Looks like New England traded for Jarrad Page in order to replace Brandon McGowan in the “big nickel.” Page should be nice in that role. It also appears New England was trying to move James Sanders, but so far nothing has come of that. I'm hoping they won't just give him away – he knows the system inside and out and is good insurance in case something happens to either Chung or Meriweather. Sergio Brown not making the team was also disappointing, I was rooting for him.