Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tom Coughlin

After the NY Giants loss today, Coughlin during the press conference critized his quarterback Eli Manning for his decision to try and make a play and throw the ball instead of throwing it away when there seemed to be no one open. This criticsm comes after Coughlin had reprimanded Tiki Barber for airing the teams dirty laundry to the media. Barber's criticsm was not the first of this season as previously he and Jeremy Shockey sharply criticized Coughlin after their shellacking by the Seattle Seahawks in week 3.

The reason for this post is that I think that if Coughlin can't right this ship and start getting the Giants back on the winning track that he will be fired at the end of the season. The team seems to be falling apart with players criticizing Coughling and vise-versa.

What do you guys think?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

fire him and the whole coaching staff
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:08 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Should he? No.

Will he? ...no.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh....I'm not big on firing coaches on an impluse. They won the division just a year ago. I'd give him another year, and I don't even like Coughlin.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM    (permalink

Jack Del Rio>Tom Coughlin
Old 11-26-2006, 10:10 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If they finish under .500, I'd fire him. I think he's starting to lose control over the team. I don't think his players respect him, nor do I think he respects the players.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan
If they finish under .500, I'd fire him. I think he's starting to lose control over the team. I don't think his players respect him, nor do I think he respects the players.
Exactly the point I was trying to get across when I posted this topic. I think when that happens you have to let a coach go.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I want him out if this team does not finish with 9 wins at the very least. Meaning, if he does not finish 3-2 over the next 5 weeks, peace out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan33
Fix your sig.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 11-26-2006, 10:21 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Quote:
Fix your sig.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Quote:
Fix your sig.
What's wrong?
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
Exactly the point I was trying to get across when I posted this topic. I think when that happens you have to let a coach go.
Jim Mora Jr. should be fired as well then.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
Jim Mora Jr. should be fired as well then.
Definately.

I think for sure there's going to be three coaches fired this year: Coughlin, Denny Green, and little Jimmy Mora. Possibly a fourth in Art Shell.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-27-2006, 12:12 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Coughlin should be fired, even if the Giants CAN regroup. He has shown a propensity for his team being wildly inconsistent while vastly underachieving. He has shown that he cannot fill his coaching staff with quality guys. Hufnagel and Coughlin have been a joke in the development of Eli. Tim Lewis is a complete joke. Also, the Giants have more players questioning the coaches than probably any other players in the NFL, combined. That really tells ya something.

Coughlin did a nice job righting the ship from what NY Giant Football had become, but I think he has fulfilled his shelf life in NY regardless of what happens the rest of the season (barring unforeseen miracle).

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My problem with Coughlin is that he won't admit when he's wrong. When players say they were outplayed and outcoach like Tiki in the playoffs last season and Shockey after the Seahawks Coughlin makes a huge deal out of it and tries to point the finger at the players not playing up to par. If you get 40 points scored on you that quickly like the Seahawks did and you get blown out in the playoffs like that, then face it YOU GOT OUTCOACHED you can blame most of it on the players but when you get owned in such magnitude some of the blame lies on the coach's shoulders.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 AM    (permalink

I think he should go because there clearly isn't any respect between coaches and player. I recall an exchange over the summer between fans and Michael Strahan during training camp where he was asked to stop for autographs and he looked at the group annoyed and asked " you gonna pay my fine if I do stop?" ....I think clearly he created a big rift right out the gates with the ridiculous fines and such that these guys never really got over. But how they've handled Eli alone if reason enough to can the entire staff. You invested so much in Eli Manning that it's a duty now to see to it that you get coaches in the fold capable of getting the most out of him, which you don't have now.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive never been a fan of Tom Coughlin. He is a horrible in game manager (ala Herm Edwards) and is not a great Xs and Os guy. He is strictly a disciplinarian.

The entire coaching staff stinks. Tim Lewis is a moron, and Huffnagel is an absolute idiot. Ok its 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter, youre up 21-7, and you go EMPTY SET? ON 3RD AND 2 YOU GO EMPTY SET? That sums up our playcalling in a nutshell.

Tom Coughlin refuses to adjust his playbook and his style to fit his players. He consistently talks about "execution" but refuses to adjust his style so his players can execute better. Thats horrible coaching. If you have Chad Pennington, you don't build Air Coryell around him. And Coughlin refuses to adjust his playbook to help Eli develop. This is the biggest issue I have with him. He has done a horrible job developing Eli. He threw him to the wolves right away, and refuses to help him out with adjustments. Its no coincidence that everyone rips him after losses.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:41 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Eh....I'm not big on firing coaches on an impluse. They won the division just a year ago. I'd give him another year, and I don't even like Coughlin.
This is my point. He's a proven NFL coach who has had success.

Quote:
Ive never been a fan of Tom Coughlin. He is a horrible in game manager (ala Herm Edwards) and is not a great Xs and Os guy. He is strictly a disciplinarian.
I beg to differ. He's been known to be involved in alot of playcalling. A Jaguars and long-time NFL observer has said that Coughlin's passing schemes were the most complex (or something like that) that he's covered in his career.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
This is my point. He's a proven NFL coach who has had success.

Quote:
I beg to differ. He's been known to be involved in alot of playcalling. A Jaguars and long-time NFL observer has said that Coughlin's passing schemes were the most complex (or something like that) that he's covered in his career.
Thats the problem. Its too complex. Why can't he ease the load on his developing qb? Thats just dumb. Look at how Rivers and Ben entered the league, they were babied. Eli needs to get some help from the coaching staff, they completely threw him to the wolves. Its just dumb. And we've been critical of his playcalling his entire tenior here. Its been horrible, which is why I say he's not a great Xs and Os guy. Because honestly, he's not. He lacks the in game adjustments to be considered good.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its not his fault eli cant throw and kiwanuka cant tackle
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God I hope not!
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess
its not his fault eli cant throw and kiwanuka cant tackle
It is his fault that he is not putting them in positions to succeed. He is the HC, he needs to get on Tim Lewis's ass about these prevent zones he continues to play. Even after the INT with 40 seconds left, Tennessee has to march 30 yards to get in field goal range. What does Tim Lewis do? Plays his prevent zone. How on earth does that make any sense at all when all they have to do is go 30 yards?

On offense, the playcalling was erratic in the 2nd half. In the first half, we did shorts, intermediates, screens, nice dose of running....why did we stop? And why did we go for it on 4th instead of kick the field goal? Again, more instances when he is not putting the team in position to win. We started out great with a great gameplan, then for whatever reason (most likely stubbornness), they go away from it, even when it was working.

And its almost sacreligious to this coaching staff to run the ball "too much". Theres no such thing as that, but this coach feels that way. We couldve ran the ball on every play in the 2nd half and still won this game. We have our pounder in Jacobs to do the job, he scores 2 Tds and was impossible to stop, yet we didn't even use him in the 2nd half...again...who's fault is that?

Its no coincidence that the players constantly throw him under the bus.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coughlin shouldn't be fired and he won't be. Giants ownership loves him. Wellington loved him and this has rubbed off on his sons. A lot of this has to do with what type of man he is off the field as well. Location, religion, etc.

The only thing I have not liked about Coughlin is his inability or unwillingness to shake things up. As far as the coaches under him are concerned.

As far as the offense being too complex for Eli. Tough. Eli was easily the smartest and most intelligent QB of the draft, a huge part of the reason the Giants fell in love with him. He runs a complex offense and that is a big part of the reason Tiki has had huge years these past two and half seasons. Tiki eats up nickel defenses.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Coughlin shouldn't be fired and he won't be. Giants ownership loves him. Wellington loved him and this has rubbed off on his sons. A lot of this has to do with what type of man he is off the field as well. Location, religion, etc.
But the players hate him. I think that puts the owners in a difficult position. If we make the playoffs I think he stays, but a collapse probably means he's fired. I personally would like to see him go regardless, I don't like his coaching.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
But the players hate him. I think that puts the owners in a difficult position. If we make the playoffs I think he stays, but a collapse probably means he's fired. I personally would like to see him go regardless, I don't like his coaching.
We have dumb players. Shockey is a top 3 TE but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He doesn't hold much ground when critizing Coughlin. They are getting him the ball now and he is still making comments. I'm not sure what other players hate him either. I don't buy the whole Tiki/Coughlin fued. I think it is non-existant.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote