Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It said he was man to man against him.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:32 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
It said he was man to man against him.
Still all he did was jam him. It isn't hard to do man to man against a guy when you throw him to the sideline. If it was man to man and CJ got off the line Thomas would have been burnt. I would take JT one on one with CJ over Thomas.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56
It depends on your division as i think you build to battle inthe division first.

so if you were in a pass happy division. I would def run the 3-4. It creates mismatches and add pass rushers with usually more speed.

but in a run happy division i would run 4-3. As it adds more lineman to help clog the lanes and keeps the blockers off your LBs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I also want to discuss this notion that the 3-4 is quicker than the 4-3. This is actually false.

We assume that because you have an extra linebacker, that your team defense is faster, but the truth is 3-4 defenses are slower than 4-3 defenses, and actually thicker when you add up the total body mass of the front 7.

The prototypical 3-4 has these respective weights.

DE - 290
NT - 340
OLB - 260
ILB - 250

Thats 1940 lbs of mass in the front 7.

The prototypical 4-3 bodyweights are

DE - 270
NT - 310
UT - 300
MLB - 240
SLB - 240
WILL - 235

Thats 1865 lbs of mass.

The 4-3 has smaller quicker linebackers who play the middle of the field faster than the 3-4.

Remember, while the 3-4 may have one extra LB, youre usually blitzing that LB, leaving 3 LBs in coverage who tend to be thicker than 4-3 Lbs, so you have less speed in coverage. Plus, your 3 downlinemen are essentially all DTs, so you get less overall speed out of the pass rush as well.

This is why the 3-4 is better against the run, but worst against the pass. You have a thicker front 7 against the run, and its spaced out so its difficult to bounce it outside as well. However, the overall weight of the front 7 reduces team speed, making coverage a little slower, and pass rush a little slower, thus equating to worse pass defense.

Don't believe me? Think about who has the best run defenses in the league. Dallas, Pittsburgh, and SD. All 3-4 teams. Who has the best pass defenses? Generally Cover 2 teams, built on speed and 4-3 fronts, like the Bears.
The 3-4 is actually better suited against run oriented teams, and the 4-3 against passing teams. 4-3 teams tend to generate a better pass rush compared to the 3-4, and have more athletic LBs who can defend the middle of the field.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id take 46, with a SS who can cover and stuff the run, then 3 lock down DB's
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:25 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86
But that's next to impossible. Your secondary would need to be like D-Hall, Champ, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor. It'd be a good defense if you had them, but the only way that would happen is if there was life on Mars and tey played football and challenged us to a football war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:
But that's next to impossible. Your secondary would need to be like D-Hall, Champ, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor. It'd be a good defense if you had them, but the only way that would happen is if there was life on Mars and tey played football and challenged us to a football war.
I think other countries would be far less out there.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston
Quote:
Quote:
I think other countries would be far less out there.
The only other country that plays football that I know of is Canada, and there are two things you need to know. It's a different game. And our best player is Jesse Palmer or Jesse Lumsden, neither of whom made NFL rosters.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-25-2006, 12:13 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And we all know Mars has a bunch of all stars.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151

Well now that I think of it, Canada would own all of you guys. KYLE QUINLAN ROCKS!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-25-2006, 12:40 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151

Well now that I think of it, Canada would own all of you guys. KYLE QUINLAN ROCKS!!!

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:
Cover 2 can work, I won't deny that. But its just not my cup of tea. Theres too many inherit flaws in the philosophy. I grew up playing smashmouth football, and the Cover 2's philosophies go against most of the principles I grew up playing and believing in.
BBD, the correct terminology you're looking for is "Tampa 2." Jacksonville runs almost exclusively cover 2 and cover 3, but they have two beast interior tackles. Whereas in the Tony Dungy system, what you are referring to, almost everyone is undersized.
I know, most refer to it as Cover 2 though, thats why I say it. Tampa 2 is an extreme variation of Cover 2.

The Cover 2 is starting to develop several different variations throughout the league. Minny and Detroit are not true Cover 2 teams, they are Cover 2 in principle with their own little twist to it. Jacksonville runs alot of Cover 2 as well.

Chicago is still for the most part though, a pure Cover 2 team. The only difference is that they have a thicker MIKE and SAM. Thats about the only difference though.

Minny and Jacksonville use alot of Cover 2 principles, but the DEs still have gap assignments against the run, their Dtackles are traditional in makeup, and they have DBs who can play man coverage. So I wouldn't classify them as true Cover 2 teams.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who do you all think the best DT is? I have seen John Henderson and I think he is a beast, Kris Jenkins is very good also, I havent had a chance to see Shaun Rogers.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Who do you all think the best DT is? I have seen John Henderson and I think he is a beast, Kris Jenkins is very good also, I havent had a chance to see Shaun Rogers.
Impossible to say, different Dtackles thrive in different schemes.

3-4 - Jamal Williams
Conventional 4-3 - Shaun Rogers
Cover 2 - Tommie Harris
Old 11-25-2006, 03:34 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a 4-3 man, myself. I'd like to use a hybrid in a perfect world, but a choice between the two is a 4-3. I'd take that with a top-notch secondary.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:49 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A more complete answer from me...

I'd love to use what the Ravens run: random, versatile, attacking, and confusing. However, they have some great and seldom talent that makes it what it is, "in a perfect world" as diabsoule said. In a less perfect world, I'd choose a 4-3, with more of a blitzing, man-to-man style; somewhere between a normal 4-3 and a blitz-happy one like the 2005 Broncos concerning blitz rate.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i would def run a hybrid type Dline

but it would be a 4-3

DE-Peppers
DT-Jamal Williams
DT-Vince wilfork
DE-Tommie Harris

all GOOD players my DT would eat any oline, and harris could easily play DE..but he would have size to help in the run game
Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56
i would def run a hybrid type Dline

but it would be a 4-3

DE-Peppers
DT-Jamal Williams
DT-Vince wilfork
DE-Tommie Harris

all GOOD players my DT would eat any oline, and harris could easily play DE..but he would have size to help in the run game
How is that a hybrid defense?

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

good question, I think he means having Harris at DE is a hybrid , Wilfork or Williams are suited for a 3-4 NT, plus I am not sure if Tommie Harris would do well as a 3-4 DE.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

My hybrid

DE - Luis Castillo
NT - Jamal Williams
UT - Richard Seymour
DE - Osi Umenyiora

SAM - Marcus Washington
MIKE - Antonio Pierce
WILL - Adalius Thomas

the 3-4 look of it would be

DE - Richard Seymour
NT - Jamal Williams
DE - Luis Castillo

SAM - Adalius Thomas
ILB - Antonio Pierce
ILB - Marcus Washington
WILL - Osi Umenyiora
Old 11-25-2006, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Are these correct 4-6 principles

A good well rounded d-line
OLB that are good at blitzing
good cover CB
a good deep zone S
Old 11-25-2006, 09:05 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
My hybridDE - Luis Castillo
I don't see him playing DE in a 4-3, and I would take Seymour at DE over him.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-25-2006, 10:04 PM    (permalink

well i mean liek the 34 is cool cuz theres like less people on teh line and stuff, but man, i gotta give it up for the 43 cuz that's like how old my mom is and stuff...
Old 11-25-2006, 10:23 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are these correct 4-6 principles

A great well rounded d-line
OLBs that are great at blitzing
fantastic cover CBs
a fantastic deep zone S
Fixed as shown? Yeah.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

ok thank you, now I see why last year the Ravens institued a 46, Rolle and C-mac were good along w/ Reed, plus we had Adalius Thomas.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Hybrid

DE - Julius Peppers
DT - John Henderson
DT - Jamal Williams
DE - Mario Williams

OLB - Adalius Thomas
MLB - Brian Urlacher
OLB - Marcus Washington/Karlos Dansby

DE - Henderson
NT - Williams
DE - M. Williams

WOLB - Julius Peppers
ILB - Washington
MLB - Urlacher
SOLB - Thomas

Only reason Mario is in there is because of the potential to dominate both 34 and 43 defenses at DE.
America is offline   Reply With Quote