Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: champ or deion
champ 49 33.11%
deion 99 66.89%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2007, 03:41 AM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
He faced Michael Irvin, who is no less physical than any of todays receivers. Deion would do just fine against TO.
he may play as physical...as may alot of the older players but when i said physical i also meant like as physically gifted as todays wrs....no wr in deions time looked like TO or anquan boldin...and nobody has ever went up after a ball like moss does when he actually feels like playin...except mabe lynn swann...he could go up and get them too
Old 06-02-2007, 04:00 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese View Post
he may play as physical...as may alot of the older players but when i said physical i also meant like as physically gifted as todays wrs....no wr in deions time looked like TO or anquan boldin...and nobody has ever went up after a ball like moss does when he actually feels like playin...except mabe lynn swann...he could go up and get them too
Huh? You act like Deion played in the '40s. Ever heard of Jerry Rice? Cris Carter? Sterling Sharpe? Michael Irvin? Andre Rison? Tim Brown? Herman Moore? Andre Reed? Dude. Deion played at the same time as TO & Randy, AND he even mentored Champ in Washington. Your point is baseless and therefore invalid.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 AM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Huh? You act like Deion played in the '40s. Ever heard of Jerry Rice? Cris Carter? Sterling Sharpe? Michael Irvin? Andre Rison? Tim Brown? Herman Moore? Andre Reed? Dude. Deion played at the same time as TO & Randy, AND he even mentored Champ in Washington. Your point is baseless and therefore invalid.
1st off i never made a point i simply asked opinions....2nd all those guys u named are perfect examples of exactly what i pointed out..they were the best of there era and a couple of them among the all time greats but they were in no way built like TO or anquan boldin...none of them had the ball skills of randy moss either...but like i said i simply asked ppls opinion on how they think deion would do against those wrs....so b4 u decide to call my points baseless and therefore invalid u might want to read what i say to make sure i actually was tryin to make a point
Old 06-02-2007, 04:10 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1st off i never made a point i simply asked opinions....2nd all those guys u named are perfect examples of exactly what i pointed out..they were the best of there era and a couple of them among the all time greats but they were in no way built like TO or anquan boldin...none of them had the ball skills of randy moss either...but like i said i simply asked ppls opinion on how they think deion would do against those wrs....so b4 u decide to call my points baseless and therefore invalid u might want to read what i say to make sure i actually was tryin to make a point
What? So what do you mean when you say that Deion hasn't faced guys like TO and Anquan? How are you not making a point, and how is that a question?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:15 AM    (permalink
reese

my question was asked in post number 74 of this thread.....and when i say that deion did not play against wrs like TO or anquan...thats what i mean...those guys are built like lbs....6'3 230 and fast,strong and very physical...i cant think of any wrs in deions time that had the attributes of those two guys...and theres more in the league like them but those are the to best of the big wrs
Old 06-02-2007, 04:29 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
my question was asked in post number 74 of this thread.....and when i say that deion did not play against wrs like TO or anquan...thats what i mean...those guys are built like lbs....6'3 230 and fast,strong and very physical...i cant think of any wrs in deions time that had the attributes of those two guys...and theres more in the league like them but those are the to best of the big wrs
I was responding to the post I quoted.
It sounds like you need to read up on guys like Herman Moore and Michael Irvin. Many players in Deions prime had similar attributes to guys like Anquan. Like I said, your point is invalid. WR's today aren't as different from the WR's of the 90s as you make it seem. Like I said, Deion played at the same time as Moss and TO. That fact makes your statement 100% invalid. In other words, what are you trying to say? Because what you've stated so far makes no sense at all.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:48 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

had to go with prime time, Deion just has game changing abilities that champ can't touch
Old 06-02-2007, 08:41 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It sounds like you need to read up on guys like Herman Moore and Michael Irvin. Many players in Deions prime had similar attributes to guys like Anquan. Like I said, your point is invalid. WR's today aren't as different from the WR's of the 90s as you make it seem. Like I said, Deion played at the same time as Moss and TO. That fact makes your statement 100% invalid. In other words, what are you trying to say? Because what you've stated so far makes no sense at all.
Exactly. There's no WR in the league who is as good as Rice or Carter were in their primes. Again, the new guysmay be bigger, but they aren't better. If being huge was the only thing needed, guys like Clarence Moore would be dominating and guys like Holt and Harrison would be scrubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's still too early to compare these two. Champ needs a few more years playing at the level he did last year to compete with Deion. While very good, he didn't do enough in his first seven seasons for last year's performance to push him up to Deion's level. Champ has been the NFL's best corner for one, maybe two years depending on who's opinion you ask. Deion was on top of the NFL for years.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
what, exactly, are you basing that on?
well, when deion came into the league, he was a team leader right away. he came onto that falcons team and became the face of the team and was the leader of that defense. then he went to san fran and was a team leader along with rice and young and he won DMVP. from there he went to dallas and immediately became the defensive leader. he consistently showed leadership at every stop.

champ on the other hand wasnt really a team leader with washington. when he came in, darrell green was the face of the defense and was the team leader. then in 2000 they drafted lavar arrington who really became the leader of the defense for the remainder of champ's time there. i just feel like he wasnt really a great team leader until he moved over to the broncos, whereas deion was a everywhere he played.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
ur just wrong...i dont see how u can say wrs had similar attributes to TO or anquan..;no they did not...i do not need to read up on herman moore of michael irvin...those guys were good....but id call them skinny next to the guys i talked about...and yes deion played at the same time as TO and moss but obviously its becoming clearer and clearer that i dont watch football becuz when they came into the league they were not no.1 wrs on there team so deion would not have been covering them...and then when they were no.1 wrs...deion was a nickleback/third corner...so he wouldnt have been coverin them then either
Old 06-02-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Exactly. There's no WR in the league who is as good as Rice or Carter were in their primes. Again, the new guysmay be bigger, but they aren't better. If being huge was the only thing needed, guys like Clarence Moore would be dominating and guys like Holt and Harrison would be scrubs.
another person who just doesnt get it...notice i didnt mention clarence moore...i also didnt mention matt jones....i dont think that since is all there is to it...thats why i said TO, anquan, and moss....becuz those guys are as athletic as anyone who is in the league AND they are huge wrs...and i kno all the old ppl will get mad but when u say no wr in the league is as good as rice and carter was in there prime thats not nessacerily true...when moss and TO actually want to play they are uncoverable..as were rice and carter
Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd rather have Deion because he's better.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
well, when deion came into the league, he was a team leader right away. he came onto that falcons team and became the face of the team and was the leader of that defense. then he went to san fran and was a team leader along with rice and young and he won DMVP. from there he went to dallas and immediately became the defensive leader. he consistently showed leadership at every stop.

champ on the other hand wasnt really a team leader with washington. when he came in, darrell green was the face of the defense and was the team leader. then in 2000 they drafted lavar arrington who really became the leader of the defense for the remainder of champ's time there. i just feel like he wasnt really a great team leader until he moved over to the broncos, whereas deion was a everywhere he played.
That's unfair to compare Champ and Deion's situation like that. No rookie could go into the Skins defense and immediately supplant Darrell Green as the leader. Green is a probable HOF'er, and had been the man in Washington for 16 seasons.

The Falcons 89 defense had some solid players, but the only one who was actually good was Scott Case. Jessie Tuggle was pretty good as well, but the 89 Falcons defense wasn't as good as the 99 Redskins defense.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
ur just wrong...i dont see how u can say wrs had similar attributes to TO or anquan..;no they did not...i do not need to read up on herman moore of michael irvin...those guys were good....but id call them skinny next to the guys i talked about...and yes deion played at the same time as TO and moss but obviously its becoming clearer and clearer that i dont watch football becuz when they came into the league they were not no.1 wrs on there team so deion would not have been covering them...and then when they were no.1 wrs...deion was a nickleback/third corner...so he wouldnt have been coverin them then either
I think that's all that needs to be said.

Regardless of whether you think Anquan has superior attributes to guys like Irvin, the fact remains that Deion is a part of the same era as TO and Moss. In fact, he covered both of them while they were at the top of their game. It just seems odd that you would portray Deion to be from some long lost era. The man has faced some of the best WR's this game has ever seen, and that includes your primary examples of superior athletes to what existed in the early 90s. Stop acting like Deion retired in '95. You're making no sense at all.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
reese

i was being scarcastic...deion did not cover moss or owens in there prime..
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
i was being scarcastic...deion did not cover moss or owens in there prime..
Do some research.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
reese

u need to...find a video of him coverin either 1 in there prime...go ahead...ill wait
Old 06-02-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
u need to...find a video of him coverin either 1 in there prime...go ahead...ill wait
Does my screen name say secretary?

I know for a fact he covered both of them. I sat there and watched him do it. When he covered Moss it was the most anticipated matchup of the season. Didn't turn out all that great, but he did cover him in that game. And I know for a fact he fact he faced TO as an Eagle. You find the damn videos. You're the one who has yet to see it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
reese

michael irvin...6'2 207
chris carter...6'3 208
herman moore...6'4 210
jerry rice...6'2 200

terrell owens...6'3 229
anquan boldin...6'1 224
roy williams...6'2 214
larry fitzgerald..6'3 226

so i guess ur still gonna tell me those guys are as big as the ones today

Last edited by reese : 06-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Does my screen name say secretary?

I know for a fact he covered both of them. I sat there and watched him do it. When he covered Moss it was the most anticipated matchup of the season. Didn't turn out all that great, but he did cover him in that game. And I know for a fact he fact he faced TO as an Eagle. You find the damn videos. You're the one who has yet to see it.
how could i find i video of somethin i said didnt happen...it didnt happen thats why there is no video of it...if there is such a video then find it
Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
how could i find i video of somethin i said didnt happen...it didnt happen thats why there is no video of it...if there is such a video then find it
Right. So if you didn't see it, it didn't happen. So football before 2005 doesn't exist.

A simple google search turned up this.
Quote:
While opposing teamsí top cornerback and receiver donít necessarily go up against one another every play of the game, it only makes sense that they will go one-on-one quite a bit. Here then are my top 15 WR-CB matchups for the upcoming season.

1. Randy Moss vs. Deion Sanders (Nov. 8) ó I donít rank Moss as the No. 1 wide receiver in the league at this moment (that honor goes to Freeman), but I do rank Moss as the most attention-grabbing receiver in the NFL at this time. Itís amazing how much he dominated last season despite the fact that he hadnít yet soaked in all of the subtle nuances of the position. Itís scary to think how good Moss can become if heís willing to become a student of the position. "Scary" is exactly how good Sanders is when heís healthy. If Sandersí toe is OK, this matchup will be an all-out war between the gameís two biggest game-breakers at their respective positions.
http://archive.profootballweekly.com...ook_081099.asp

I sat there and watched that game.
You've lost a lot of credibility in this thread. Try not to speak on matters you know nothing of.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Right. So if you didn't see it, it didn't happen. So football before 2005 doesn't exist.

A simple google search turned up this.

http://archive.profootballweekly.com...ook_081099.asp

I sat there and watched that game.
You've lost a lot of credibility in this thread. Try not to speak on matters you know nothing of.
thank you for proving my point...i said deion did not face moss in his prime and i still say that...the article u posted is from '99 and that was moss's second year in the league....did u read the article u posted?...it plain states how moss hasnt learned the position fully yet and how its scary how good he can be when he does learn it....which means he wasnt in his prime so like i said u proved my point...and for ur statement about me losing credit on this thread...2 ppl have added rep to me for post on this thread while on the other hand not a single person has neg repped me....and while i kno that doesnt mean everyone agrees with me..it also means im not sayin anythng as stupid as u make it sound
Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dieon. There's really no doubt in my mind. The only thing Champ is better at is tackling. A shutdown corner doesn't need to be a great tackler.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Dieon. There's really no doubt in my mind. The only thing Champ is better at is tackling. A shutdown corner doesn't need to be a great tackler.
that debatable...becasue a GREAT corner should be good at everthing

thats like saying a GREAT DE can be a pass rusher only.....a great one should be able to do it all