Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Did you not hear about the baseball player who was DUIing after practice, got into an accident, and died? Teams just want to protect themselves from this.
Josh Hancock? or are you talking about somebody else.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great job by the NFL and it will prevent against any occurences like Josh Hancock

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Josh Hancock? or are you talking about somebody else.
Probably. I don't follow baseball very closely.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Great job by the NFL and it will prevent against any occurences like Josh Hancock
Well he was under the influence of Marijuana as well as being twice over the legal limit, and got into a crash days before. If anything, the MLB and his teammates should have stepped up and done something about it. He had all the signs for something bad to happen.

One situation from somebody who obviously had problems should not ruin it for everybody else.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Well he was under the influence of Marijuana as well as being twice over the legal limit, and got into a crash days before. If anything, the MLB and his teammates should have stepped up and done something about it. He had all the signs for something bad to happen.

One situation from somebody who obviously had problems should not ruin it for everybody else.
There have been other incidents I believe. If players are drinking in the clubhouse, what are they going to do after? Drive home of course. There's no reason for that to happen.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There have been other incidents I believe. If players are drinking in the clubhouse, what are they going to do after? Drive home of course. There's no reason for that to happen.
Meh, I just think that they don't need to be babied. They are making enough money to have a personal driver. If you can't even make out a teammates words, drive him home or call a cab.

Besides, all away games they are taken back by bus. Then they can just go get piss drunk later at a club.

The rule really does nothing

EDIT: I guess the NFL could be doing this so they aren't held responsible for any DUIs. Nobody is going to stay around the stadium or team headquarters and drink anyway lol.

If anything it promotes off location drinking, which seems more dangerous in my opinion.

Last edited by skinzzfan25 : 05-31-2007 at 08:00 PM.
skinzzfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
so what??? No one is getting wasted in the clubhouse after playing a game...

These are grown men. they have better things to do.

And as for Josh Hancock, he's a dumbass. one bad apple shouldn't spoil the bunch.

And his parents suck too. they are suing everyone now for no reason. its not Budwieser, the MLB, the Cardinals, the bartender, or anyone else to take responsibility. Its your own life, live it how you want. personal responsibility goes a long way...

Im from the school of thought of chill the F out. Just cause theres a couple dumbasses, doesnt mean everyone else should get the shaft
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Why should it be banned?

these guys are 21, so whats the big deal?
Uhh No Amobi Okoye is 20.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
so what??? No one is getting wasted in the clubhouse after playing a game...
how do you know?

Quote:
These are grown men. they have better things to do.
Your right none of them will get drunk and drive.
Quote:
And his parents suck too. they are suing everyone now for no reason. its not Budwieser, the MLB, the Cardinals, the bartender, or anyone else to take responsibility.
relevance?
Quote:
Its your own life, live it how you want. personal responsibility goes a long way...
this doesnt mean everybody has personal responsibilities.
Quote:
Im from the school of thought of chill the F out.
wow cool.
Quote:
Just cause theres a couple dumbasses, doesnt mean everyone else should get the shaft
I suppose everybody was calling Josh Hancock a dumbass before he died.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
so should we close bars down because sometimes ppl get drunk there and drive drunk and get in an accident??? Stuff is gonna happen sometimes with adults making poor choices. This doesnt mean we should go out an declare martial law and cut back everyones rights and treat them like children. I think Goodell really does mean well, but I dont like the direction he's heading.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
so should we close bars down because sometimes ppl get drunk there and drive drunk and get in an accident??? Stuff is gonna happen sometimes with adults making poor choices. This doesnt mean we should go out an declare martial law and cut back everyones rights and treat them like children. I think Goodell really does mean well, but I dont like the direction he's heading.
Which direction exactly is that ?

The "You won't tear this league down because you are not bigger than it" belief to the prima donna 3rd tier players (chris henry, pac man jones, tank johnson ect) who believe they're something they're not ?

Or the "you claim to be adults, so if you're going to do something completely moronic ...we're not going to be anywhere near involved in your individual decision making process" ???

I'm curious as to how anyone could have a problem with this.
It's not like Roger G told these guys to sober up. He's protecting the
bigger picture. And to the little kids who are under the notion that
Anhieser bush is relying on athletes (and not the fans) to support their product all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
I'm curious as to how anyone could have a problem with this.
It's not like Roger G told these guys to sober up. He's protecting the
bigger picture. And to the little kids who are under the notion that
Anhieser bush is relying on athletes (and not the fans) to support their product all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
cause Goodell is being a hairy little vag.

Just let people do whatever they want. Its not a problem, so no need to make random ass rules just for no reason.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!
It's an idiotic policy that is needed because there is lots of idiots in the league (and sports in general) who can't controll themselves. The NFL is just protecting itself from the ambulance chasers in case if something like Josh Hitchcock happens to one of it's players and the family of that player decides to sue the NFL.

John Hitchcock parents should be countersued for incompetent parenting if they want to go down the lawsuit pathway.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Agreed. Deep pockets attract frivolous lawsuits. However, that's all this policy change is, a CYA for the league. It doesn't address the problem of drunken player misbehavior in the least.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The players just need to learn the art of pre-drinking. Than they'll be all set.

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
yeah, i take that stance too. what good are laws? i should be able to kill someone if i want. i should be able to drive no matter how intoxicated i am. i mean, these players NEED liqour at all times. who is their employer to tell them they can't have it? i mean, just because 95% of all employers in other areas prohibit liqour at work doesn't mean that NFL players shouldn't be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. i mean, they're millionaires. they'll absolutely make the right decision every time and never embarass their employer. do you ever think before you talk, or are you too busy trying to be the internet cool guy?
njx9, we should be able to do whatever we want! Being a high school student who has never had a job, I feel that I'm in a great position to argue the benefits of being allowed to slam back a few beers during/after work. I mean, at my job at Walmart we all get hammered in the break room!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly. It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game. So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything. It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.
It's this policy that is missing the point.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly. It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game. So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything. It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.
It's this policy that is missing the point.
NFL cannot control what players do during their own time. Just like any other employer.

If you worked at an office job, would you expect to be allowed to knock back beers during company time on company property?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

The NFL is not an office job....

and business people are allowed to drink beers at dinners with clients, on lunch break, and on flights for business trips, which is where the NFL is restricting this.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

I do work an office job, and yes, at appropriate times the firm buys drinks and we drink them in the conference rooms. There's a case of beer and a couple bottles of champagne in the fridge right now. Drinking alcohol does not immediately indicate unprofessionalism and poor behavior. Do you have any clue how many billion dollar deals are closed over drinks at happy hour, or while drinking on the golf course?
The inane assumption being made is that every time an NFL player gets his hands on a beer, it's an Animal House situation.
The reality is that at team and league functions, the players are already being watched and controlled by team and league officials and there isn't a problem that isn't already being addressed.
All the bad publicity the league has endured has been at the hands of players on their own time. If they want to stave that off, it's time to start writing stronger personal conduct policies into contracts which would, in fact, allow them to control what the players do on their own time.
Telling Tom Brady that he can't have a beer while he's stuck on a cross-country flight for 5 hours after a game accomplishes absolutely nothing.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There aren't too many places of employment that would allow their employees to drink on the job... why should the NFL be any different?

Edit - oops, apparently this has been discussed already.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Explain to me how this rule does ANYTHING to actually solve the problem other than just allowing the league to turn their back on the problem and pretend they've addressed it.
Explain to me how the Viking press release regarding the sex cruise would read anything different than this was the actions of a few players, not the team.
Explain to me how Mike Vick not drinking a beer at a team dinner is going to keep him from having dog fights.
Explain to me how Tank Johnson not drinking a beer on the flight home is going to keep him from laying guns on his coffee table, smoking weed, and getting drunk at a club later.
Yes, a few rotten players have been out control. Yes, the league should address that. Yes, many of the steps taken lately address that. No, this particular policy does not do anything over than provide the league with a cheap party line to feed the media next time a player does something stupid. It's a pointless policy that does nothing in reality except punish the vast majority of players that do know how to behave themselves.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

alcohol is used on luncheons with clients to relax the mood allow them to feel comfrotable with the host, etc
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

The players can still behave like idiots on their own time, menacing society and still being black eyes for the league...but hey, congrats league, you can now say we don't condone it! Really? Wow, thanks for for clearing that up. I thought you guys were getting them wasted and then sending them out so you could film "Quarterbacks Gone Wild Vol IV."
Sorry, I don't mean to be a smartass, but that's just how ridiculous I find this policy.

I can, in fact, see this rule hurting the league. Let's say the league is sitting down with a big potential sponsor like Coors. Coors officials, league officials, a few star players to wow the suits sit down for a big dinner...can you see where I'm going with this?

All I'm saying is that this is an empty gesture by the league to pretend they're being tought and cracking down. It has no real effect on any real problem. Players are going to continue their misdeeds in the exact same manner they did before Goodell thought up this nonsense. It's a blurb on page 5 of the sports section that is going to be entirely forgotten and ridiculed when Mike Vick is indicted and makes headline news.