Anyone who claims the offseason of the National Football League isn’t exhilarating must not be paying attention to free agency. Not only was the start of “legal tampering” rousing, but there were a couple of splash moves even before the madness kicked off! I would be remiss to leave them unmentioned. But who were the early NFL Free Agency Winners?
Early NFL Free Agency Winners
Jalen Ramsey (Rams) to the Dolphins for 3rd round pick and TE Hunter Long
- GREAT signing for the Fins! Joining forces with Xavien Howard in the secondary, Miami looks to make a run in 2023 after being bounced early from the playoffs in January.
Panthers moved up to the number one spot (Chicago) in exchange for DJ Moore plus two 1st (2023 and 2024) and two 2nds (2023 and 2024)
- Clearly, Frank Reich’s Carolina Panthers are drafting up to snag a QB. It’s now just a matter of WHO they take. My guess is Stroud is arguably the most NFL-ready, but there are some theories of why Richardson would be an opportunity for Reich to develop.
- The Bears made out nicely in this swap by giving Fields a guy like Moore. Not only was the move helpful for the upcoming season, but the draft picks in 2024 are not to be ignored either
I will go through five NFL teams who picked up solid player(s) through free agency and jot a few quick notes on each.
Early Free Agency Winners and Notes:
Signed DT Javon Hargrave (Eagles)
- So this number-one-ranked defense in 2022 is going to stay pretty damn legit!
- Let’s see how they continue to stack up with the departure of former DC DeMeco Ryans (hired as Head Coach in Houston).
Signed OT Mike McGlinchey (49ers)
- I don’t think that Coach Payton is playing when it comes to turning this ship around in Denver.
- He wants to build the lineup around QB Russell Wilson in his second year/redemption tour.
- Traded away two powerhouse defensive players in 2022 (Roquan Smith and Robert Quinn).
- Building up this struggling unit through free agency and plenty of upcoming draft capital.
Acquired TE Jonnu Smith (Patriots) for 7th-round pick
- I love this for the Falcons, but unsure if Ridder will be “the guy” or not-only one way to find out!
- Smith is a great weapon to equip any QB within the NFL.
Acquired TE Darren Waller for a 2023 3rd-round pick
- This is huge for the men in blue! Wow. Things are moving in a very positive direction under HC Brian Daboll.
- To acquire a very talented weapon in Waller at 30 years old who can really find open lanes on this momentous offense has to put the NFC on alert.
As always, keep engaging with us on Twitter @DraftCountdown and let us know your thoughts on these big moves, and watch for us to discuss all things NFL!
Other Draft Countdown Content