We are nearing the end of Bowl season, as well as the NFL season. So I wanted to take a minute and check out the interwebs, and see what the consensus first round looks like as of the end of the year.
Mock Draft Consensus – End of 2022 Check-in
Mock Draft Database – Consensus Round 1:
1. HOU – Bryce Young, QB Alabama
2. CHI – Will Anderson Jr, Edge Alabama
3. SEA – Jalen Carter, DL Georgia
4. DET – Will Levis, QB Kentucky
5. ARI – Paris Johnson Jr, OT Ohio State
6. IND – CJ Stroud, QB Ohio State
7. ATL – Myles Murphy, Edge Clemson
8. CAR – Anthony Richardson, QB Florida
9. PHI – Tyree Wilson, Edge Texas Tech
10. LV – Peter Skoronski, OT Northwestern
11. HOU – Quentin Johnston, WR TCU
12. PIT – Joey Porter JR, CB Penn State
13. GB – Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame
14. JAX – Bryan Breese, DL Clemson
15. NYJ – Broderick Jones, OT Georgia
16. SEA – Jared Verse, Edge Florida State
17. NE – Jordan Addison, WR USC
18. DET – Cam Smith, CB South Carolina
19. TB – Bijan Robinson, RB Texas
20. TEN – Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR Ohio State
21. WAS – Brian Branch, S Alabama
22. LAC – Mazi Smith, DL Michigan
23. NYG – Christian Gonzalez, CB Oregon
24. BAL – Clark Phillips III, CB Utah
25. DEN – Anton Harrison, OT Oklahoma
26. CIN – Darnell Washington, TE Georgia
27. DAL – Rashee Rice, WR SMU
28. KC – Nolan Smith, Edge Georgia
29. MIN – Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois
30. BUF – Antonio Johnson, S Texas A&M
31. PHI – Jahmyr Gibbs, RB Alabama
32. HOU – Andre Carter II, Edge Army
Ok, so truth be told I grabbed the top 32 players because I know Miami forfeited their first-rounder. I will say there was some pretty surprising consensus picks, which I love this time of year. We have to remember, teams have been studying these guys but the people that are doing the mock drafts don’t have nearly the same amount of information.
4. Will Levis, it doesn’t seem like that’s remotely in the cards for my Lions at this point. Jared Goff has been better this year, with an improved offensive line and weapons at his disposal, the defense is a bigger concern. And with Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson, and Bryan Breese still available, I’d be surprised if they didn’t target more pass-rushing (or run-stopping) help!
19. Bijan Robinson, I expect him to be a first-rounder, so that’s no surprise. The surprise revolves around the team that drafted him, as the Buccaneers have bigger needs. Rachaad White and Keshawn Vaughn look like the 1-2 punch next season if Fournette is gone from the team.
20. JSN, is another guy that’s probably a sure-thing first-rounder but the team is the surprise. Tennessee is another team that appears to be in need of help BADLY. I’d anticipate them to target the best defensive player on their board before they target wideout.
Christian Gonzalez NOT being the top corner drafted is also a surprise, as he appears to be the best in this draft. Now I know, players don’t always work with a scheme but this 6’2” ball hawk from Oregon appears to be able to fit in any scheme.
Offensive Tackles. Jaelyn Duncan is a name we keep seeing mentioned in the first round a lot, kind of surprised he isn’t here. When I worked on my biggest team needs series, so many NFL teams could use some offensive lineman, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see 3, 4, maybe even 5 taken in the first round. I could also see 2 go and teams focus on pass rushers and quarterbacks as well.
The really interesting thing in this draft for me is that teams have plenty of really strong options, even with my surprise choices, they could take the players mentioned OR target any number of talented young players.
Any questions or just want to keep the conversation going, hit me up on Twitter Feel free to @ me or DM me and we can talk more about him and the rest of the 2023 NFL Draft, and don’t forget to check out our Mock Draft’s here on Draft Countdown!