Over the next few weeks every team in D1 Football will pass the midway point in their regular season schedules. Feels like this season has just begun, but time does fly when you are having fun. So with that in mind I present to you my mid-season college power rankings.
Pigskin Paul’s College Power Rankings
- GEORGIA 6-0 The task of adequately replacing almost half of their 2022 season starters is about over. We begin to see the defending champs settle in with their new, now battle tested, starters for a 3-Peat season.
- MICHIGAN 6-0 Arguably the most talented team of the HARBAUGH era. Can they takeout up one more notch to win it all?
- FLORIDA STATE 5-0. I still find it hard to believe how far, and how fast MIKE NORVELL has rebuilt this former football power. Is it just tad too soon for them to make the Final Four?
- OHIO STATE 5-0 Not easy replacing a star QB like STROUD, but McCORD has progressed with each game. Has BRAN DAY finally convinced the fan base he can coach at a Championship level, and beat Michigan?
- OREGON 5-0 BO NIX had become whipping boy at AUBURN, but on in the Pacific Northwest he’s leading an undefeated team and in the running for a Heisman. Is he also an NFL First Rounder?
- WASHINGTON 5-0 An explosive Offense behind PENIX, and a quality lineup on Defense. Who goes down this weekend when the HUSKIES/DUCKS face off in Seattle?
- PENN STATE 5-0 Biggest surprise to me is that their Offense maybe better than their Defense. If FRANKLIN doesn’t get too conservative with his Offense this team might be special.
- SOUTHERN CAL 6-0 Special on Offense , with CALEB WILLIAMS at the wheel. But oh my, their Defense is mediocre at best. To me it looks as porous as when he was Head Coach at OKLAHOMA.
- OKLAHOMA 6-0 Their win over Texas was huge. And DILLON GABRIEL is a special college level QB. Has Head Coach BRENT VENABLES rebuilt the roster enough to carry it through the entire season?
- ALABAMA 5-1 NO Nick Saban has not lost his touch, just yet. But they clearly will have to count on their Defense to carry them on from here. Has College Football changed too much for Defense to prevail every week?
- NORTH CAROLINA 5-0 Maybe MACK BROWN isn’t quite done yet! He certainly has the QB he needs to win in the ACC.
- TEXAS 5-1 It’s not like the Sooners destroyed them last weekend. SARK has loaded up on talent overall. One more L and he may be forced into the ARCH MANNING Era one year earlier than planned?
- LOUISVILLE 6-0 I will just say that JEFF BROHN is one helluva good Head Coach. After surprising success at Purdue, he appears to be doing it again at his Alma Mater.
- OLE MISS 5-1 Almost as many new players his roster as Coach Prime Prime has on his. If Ole Miss can find the cash to keep LANE happy, this could be a successful marriage of Coach/school.
- OREGON STATE 5-1 One of the last two remaining PAC-12 programs after this season, has risen from the ashes under relatively unknown Head Coach JONATHAN SMITH.
Most of these teams have Conference games left on their schedules and winning every week under that scenario is hard on most teams. Let’s check in on my list again come early November.